1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If I believe in God, am I saved?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Gina B, Jun 25, 2003.

1. 4study

4study New Member

Well, I guess that means all the Pharisess living during Christ's personal ministry are going to hell. What about Nicodemus?

2. aefting

aefting New Member

No. Let me give you an example of an imperfect understanding of salvation that does not prevent someone from getting saved: limited atonement or unlimited atonement, depending on your viewpoint.

3. aefting

aefting New Member

Don't know about *all* but what else do you make out of Matthew 5:20?

I believe Nicodemus ended up trusting Christ (cf., John 7:45-50).

4. BrianT

BrianT New Member

But that example is about who salvation is offered to, not about how an individual attains that salvation.

5. aefting

aefting New Member

Oh, you're talking about an imperfect understanding about how to *attain* salvation. Is that right?

In that case, we're really getting back to the content and object of saving faith. For example, saving faith requires the knowledge of certain doctrine -- the content of the gospel ('how that Christ died for my sins according to the scriptures, etc'). If you are off on the content and object of faith, then your faith is not saving faith. That's not adding to faith that is exercising the right kind of faith.

6. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Yes, that's what prompted your initial disagreement with me, was it not?

As I understand it, Catholics are solid on "how that Christ died for my sins according to the scriptures, etc", and are not off on the content and object of faith. So back to the earlier point, if someone has faith in Christ, that he died for their sins, they're repentant of their sins, and they believe he rose again, does lack of perfect doctrine in othe areas negate God's grace in respect to their salvation?

7. aefting

aefting New Member

Yes but I thought the scope broadened during our conversation. My mistake. Sometimes it's hard to communicate properly on these forums. I'm glad we're focused back on the main issue.

I believe they [based on official Catholic doctrine] are off on the content and object of faith because they do not believe in justification by faith alone -- hence my original comment. The Catholic view of justification is deficient and you cannot be saved if you are trusting in baptism and sacramental grace in addition to Christ's work on the cross. It is another gospel.

Now, an individual who attends a Catholic church may, of course, be saved BUT it would be in spite of and in opposition to Catholic doctrine.

Andy

8. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Yes, they do not believe in justification by faith alone, primarily because they believe James 2, taking it at face value. Now, I don't want to debate who is write and who is wrong about James 2, but suppose for the sake of argument that their view of James 2 is correct - would *your* mistake about justification negate your salvation?

Perhaps you should make that post in the other forum that allows Catholics to respond, because I think you don't quite understand what Catholics believe about sacraments, etc.

Brian

9. aefting

aefting New Member

From the Council of Trent:

It may be that lay Catholics don't understand everything about their church and its doctrine but offical Catholic dogma teaches a false gospel.

It does nobody any good to give them a false hope if their faith is not in Christ and Christ alone.

Andy

10. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

11. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Thanks Andy, I'll be asking my Catholic contacts about those quotes.

However, I still don't see that if salvation is by faith in Christ, and they have faith in Christ, how doing other things *because* of their faith in Christ (i.e. sacraments don't "stand alone" and are not done for their own sake, but are done *because* of faith in Christ) that nullifies God's grace.

12. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Read in Gods word and you will know that answer. Read romans

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The demons believe and shudder.