1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If I were a Calvinist...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Robert Snow, Jan 1, 2010.

1. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On your "About me" in your profile.

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Actually, what I am is a Christian who attends a Baptist church because I believe the Baptist denomination more closely follows scripture than other denoms.

I don't think I have said that I am a Baptist.

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I am a Baptist because Jesus was. And so was John the forerunner. They didn't call him John the Methodist, did they?

Oh, you're just being silly, you say. Some, yes. But not completely.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Well, for one, we are commanded by the Lord to pray, and it has nothing to do with how you feel about Calvinism or Arminianism. The other point is Scripture says prayers of a righteous man do a lot of good. That also has nothing to do with how you feel about Calvinism or Arminianism.

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I've mentioned this story before, but it might contribute to the discussion here.

In Mark 10, we have the story of blind Bartimeus. As Jesus approached, he began hollering, "Jesus, son of David, have mercy on me." Those nearby told him to be quiet, but he just hollered louder.

Jesus asked Bartimeus, "what do you want me to do for you?"

"Lord, I want my sight."

Jesus said, "Okay, I will, because of your faith."

Now, we'd all agree that it was no coincidence that Jesus happened by there that day. And that he intended to heal Bartimeus. But he made Bartimeus ask.

I take from this story that Jesus determined to heal Bart, but determined to do it in response to Bart's prayer.

Prayer is not for God's benefit, but for ours.

6. Winman

Winman Active Member

Prayer is both for us and God. When Jesus gave us an example of prayer, the first thing he said was "Our Father, who are in heaven, hallowed be thy name"

So we are to give praise and honor to God in prayer.

But he also said we should ask for our daily bread and forgiveness of sins.

So, prayer is for both us and God.

Look what Paul said concerning lost Israel:

Rom 10:1 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.

Why would Paul pray for the lost if it has been determined before the foundation of the world who God would pass over? Surely Paul would have understood this. So, this prayer doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

7. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

The OP here ranks in the top 10 most stupid posts on Calvinism.

That is all I have to say. :wavey:

8. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Why were you compelled to make this comment. If the OP is "stupid" as you say, wouldn't it be self-evident? Are you not able to skip over a thread you don't like without making such a "stupid" comment?

9. ReformedBaptist

No, my comment is that the OP is stupid.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Since this is a Baptist only forum, that would disqualify you from posting here. Only Baptists are allowed to post here, and if your'e not a Baptist, then that excludes you.
    Uhhh, okay. Jesus and John were actually devout practicing Jews, but hey, why let facts get in the way of things?

11. ReformedBaptist

John, don't be silly. Amy is certainly "Baptist" but what she is trying to communicate is that she is a Christian first and foremost. What she is trying to communicate is that she is more committed to Christ Jesus than a denomination or creed.

And that is very Baptist of her. :laugh:

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'm curious to hear that from her, since all she's said is that she attends a Baptist church. Attenting a Baptist church doesn't make one a Baptist. Is she a member of a Baptist church or not? One shouldn't be ashamed of saying "I am a Baptist", or "I am a Methodist" or "I am a <insert congregational affiliation here."

I've never known a Baptist who wouldn't say "I am a Baptist".

13. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I was having a little fun. My point is that historically, Baptists have believed what John preached and Jesus taught. And Baptists claim kinship to the first church, established by Jesus during his ministry.

I've obviously got to do a better job at humorous posts. They're falling flat.

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I wasn't aware we were allowed to do this. I though it was disallowed in the Baptist Distinctives, with the exception of during potlucks.

15. ReformedBaptist

Perhaps not, but I am hesitant of it too. While I do say I am a Baptist, I do so because its useful in the right context. When an unbeliever asks me such things, or unbelievers from another country, I most certainly say I am a Christian, or that I am a born-again Christian.

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You make a good point, RB. I'll have to reconsider my comment.

17. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Of course that is also true of non-Calvinist. Nobody, Calvinist or non-Calvinist, can be assured that his/her offspring will turn to Christ in faith.

Btw, any use of the "law of averages" when discussing God's perfect plan seems a bit inappropriate. God is never random. So I would say no, the law of averages does not say that "some of them probably would not be one of the elect".

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The two big G's are never talked about, gluttony and gossip. You know, those sins are way down from lottery tickets, drinking, and dancing.

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Thank you RB. Good grief. I was trying to make a point. I guess it backfired. :laugh:

20. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think prayer is for God only in that it glorifies Him. It is mainly to shape and humble us, aligning us more to God's will. God already knows what we will pray before we pray.

Since we are told to pray and Jesus prayed, we should pray, but God doesn't need our prayers.