1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If mary jane was legalized in the U.S.?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by shannonL, Jun 29, 2005.

1. emeraldctyangel

emeraldctyangel New Member

Pills work faster in the management of pain. It is about helping the suffering of dying people, not smoking to get high - regardless of who makes a buck off of it. That is why.

2. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

No way that digesting a pill is faster than inhaling smoke.

3. OCC

OCC Guest

No it is not the government's business to make it illegal to save us from ourselves. The government can and should set safety regulations, one being nobody will perform dangerous work until such a time as the effects have worn off.

Regulations, sure. Making it outright illegal, no. Otherwise, they have to make alcohol and cigarettes illegal. And even junk food.

By the way, to faithgirl, I apologize for how I came off in my post to you. Sometimes I try and make a point and come across more blunt than is necessary.

4. LarryN

LarryN New Member

Shouldn't the title of this thread be "If mary jane was re-legalized in the U.S.?"

We tend to forget that at one time marijuana, cocaine, heroin, LSD, and any other drugs which are now illegal were at one time perfectly legal in the U.S.

Cocaine used to be an ingredient in Coca-Cola. If I'm not mistaken, marijuana was legal until around 1920 or so.

5. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    DITTO! [​IMG]
    PJ

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I say if it is used for medicinal purposes, and medicinal purposes ONLY it would be fine. From what I understand about the medicinal use of it, it helps to increase the appetite and pain tolerance of those with terminal illnesses like cancer and AIDS who don't have an appetite and are wasting away.

If a family member is dying and marijuana would prolong and create a better quality of life for your loved one, you wouldn't want that for them? Isn't this the same thing as using morphine for pain? I don't see any threads with the title "is morphine sinful"! (Until now, I will start a thread with this title)

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Here's the more concise question: Is it okay for a Christian to get high? No.

8. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I was just thinking the same thing, Donna. My SIC's ex Boyfriend smoked Pot in the late 80's and maybe after that. They have a 17 yr old son. Harrold was watching Chris who was 15 months at the time while his mom went to pay the bills and the like. When she got back to the apt they shared, it reeked of mary jane smoke. It seems that Harrold decided to have a pot party with his 15 month old son in the apt, while the young man's mother was away. She chewed Harrold out, Harrold's mom chewed him out and I chewed him out. I told Harrold that exposure to marijuana smoke could damage his son's brain since it was still developing and was sensetive to the marijuana smoke. There was a "discussion" back and forth until I asked him if he wanted his son to take anti seizure medicine, and shoved the medicine I take for seizures in his face. He face got this oh my goodness look on it and he walked into his bedroom. He never smoked pot in the apt again. I spoke to my neurolgist about pot smoking and epilepsy and he said that there is a connection

9. OCC

OCC Guest

Here's the more concise question: Is it okay for a Christian to get high? No.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Probably not...but can you provide Scripture for that?

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I haven't read any direct answer to the question, which I thought was, what do Christians who think drinking wine for relaxation is okay think of smoking mj?

As far as I can tell, no one has answered this.

I can't answer it because I don't drink. So what about it, those of you think drinking wine is okay? Is it ok to smoke pot, too? Why or why not?

11. OCC

OCC Guest

It has to be. Otherwise, drinking has to be illegal. Not that I care for it myself though.

12. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Not necessarily true. Plus, it is far easier to titrate the dosage from smoke than from a pill.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You're kidding, aren't you? By your reckoning, are we then free to do a couple of lines of cocaine, or do a little LSD, or some crystal-meth? All because scripture happens to be silent on the issue? I can't find any scripture that mentions abortion. Should we then tell Christians that elective abortions are perfectly okay?

14. Victory in Jesus

Victory in Jesus New Member

Not necessarily true. Plus, it is far easier to titrate the dosage from smoke than from a pill. </font>[/QUOTE]It would be difficult to calculate unless the doctor is right there watching him smoke it. Some of it goes up in smoke and drops off the stick.

A pill is swallowed whole. Some things can mess up the amount that gets in the system when taken as a pill. For instance, grapefruit or grapefruit juic can cause some medicines to act as if the person doubled the dose. I remember hearing Dean Edell say one to the Sr. Citizens. "If you can't afford your pills, cut them in half and take them with grapefruit juice". But this doesn't happen with all pils, so I thought that was a little strange for him to say that.

Some medicines can't be taken with food because somehow the food prevents all the medicine from getting into the system.

Some medicines can't be taken without food because it'll eat your stomach lining or react with your digestive juices.

There are losenges that are sucked between the cheeck and teeth that obsorbs through the skin. This is a quick way for medicine to enter the system

There are nasal sprays that do the same as the losenge, but it goes up the nose.

There are suppositories that act as the losenge but is being obsorbed elsewhere. This is a good way to administer naseau medicine because a pill form could get ...well...acidentally refused. This would actually be a good way to administer the marinol, since it's used to control naseau.

15. OCC

OCC Guest

You're kidding, aren't you? By your reckoning, are we then free to do a couple of lines of cocaine, or do a little LSD, or some crystal-meth? All because scripture happens to be silent on the issue? I can't find any scripture that mentions abortion. Should we then tell Christians that elective abortions are perfectly okay? </font>[/QUOTE]No need to mock, however, if you are in the mood to debate...let's have at it.

First, I am not kidding. Scripture says nothing about taking drugs. Now, LSD or crystal meth would be wrong because they can fry your brain, maybe even kill you I believe. So, no...by my reckoning we aren't allowed to do things such as LSD or crystal meth.

Marijuana niether fries your brain nor kills you with one single use. It gives you a giddy feeling and relaxation, and is a pain killer. None of those three effects are sinful things, forbidden by Scripture. None of those three effects give the state any reason to butt into one's personal business. Conservatives should be all for it.

As for abortion, that has nothing to do with the issue at hand. But to humour you I will give my answer. No...abortion is not ok. Murder is sin. 'nuff said

Now, by your reckoning...should driving be a sin? It causes many accidents and deaths by the day. Scripture doesn't say, "thou shalt not drive" but just because it doesn't say it, does that mean we should do it? God bless.

16. OCC

OCC Guest

Now...can you provide a Scripture that says one cannot get high? Do that, and I'll show you a verse that says one cannot drive. [​IMG] The concept that we shouldn't get high may be in Scripture, but you haven't provided it. Therefore, I am sticking to what I said.

*note* I don't "get high"...I just tire of legalism with no backing from Scripture.

17. Rachel

Rachel New Member

I thought it was answered. I said previously too... Having a beer or glass of wine is MUCH different than a joint. You're not going to get in a different state of mind by one or two beer.

Drinking moderately is not the same as being drunk. I really don't see how you can compare the two, moderate drinking and smoking pot.

18. OCC

OCC Guest

Actually you will get into a different state of mind with one or two beers. Moderate drinking and smoking pot are probably about equal.

19. Rachel

Rachel New Member

I do wonder why God made it though? Did He make it to be used as medicene? I don't know. I've heard every thing we could need for medicene and for our health, is out there growing. Native American's seem to know what to do with plants and all.

20. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Really? I never had that experience when I smoked that back in the day, just one joint really affected me. A couple beers never have done much at all to me. But I guess everyone is different.