1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If someone told you they wanted to end their life....

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Salty, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, but better than nothing. I worked a lot of suicides. 99% of them never told anyone or threatened. Most who threaten want personal attention. I doubt a website is what they need, but most are not going to kill themselves anyway.
    I remember one night I was working at the Sheriffs office. It was shift change. We got a call of a man threatening suicide. I handed it off to the third shift captain since I was clocking out in a few minutes. He told the man "GA. Supreme Court threw out the suicide statute. It is legal to kill yourself. If you decide to, please call back right before you do it so we can get you cleaned up before you start stinking." The man is still alive today by the way.

I said "That's cold ain't it Cap?" He said "Since I had to kill someone that wanted to do suicide by cop, I don't answer suicide threat calls unless an innocent person is in danger. Besides, they don't have problems, I have problems. I see kids faces every night that I killed in Nam. Little b......s trying to walk up to me with bombs. I got problems, that ------ ------ on the phone don't." I said, ok Cap, have a good night. Catch you at shift change.

#2 Reynolds, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably not the best counselor in the station. Sounds like "cap" needed to see someone and stay off the phones until he did.