1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If tongues were to cease at the end of the world, why would Paul need to mention it?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by 1689Dave, Apr 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not in the One foretold by the OT prophets, and the one Jesus spoke of still to come!

2. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to have Jesus and the NT writers explain it to you, not the pharisees.

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They did, and we still have the second coming and His Kingdom to look forward to!

4. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    You and they missed it already.

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only heretics hold that the second coming has already happened!

6. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    The second coming happens on the last day.

7. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

4I thank my God always concerning you for the grace of God which was given you in Christ Jesus, 5that in everything you were enriched in Him, in all speech and all knowledge, 6even as the testimony concerning Christ was confirmed in you, 7so that you are not lacking in any gift, awaiting eagerly the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ, 8who will also confirm you to the end, blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Everything IN YOU was enriched IN HIM---> ALL SPEECH ALL KNOWLEDGE ---> So that you re not lacking in any gift

Who will also confirm you to the end---> <--- ALSO----> even as the testimony concerning Christ was confirmed in you

testimony concerning Christ was confirmed in you---> Who will also Confirm you--->the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Confirm you to the end. I only see two things being spoken about THE TESTIMONY was confirmed and the Revelation who will also confirm.

even as the testimony concerning Christ was confirmed in you awaiting eagerly the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ

Gift that was talked about was ALL SPEECH ALL KNOWLEDGE.

I don't see a particular connection with JOHN's REVELATION. I don't think they had a alert of some kind like "any day now John's gonna get a heavenly tweet"

If you want to connect well all "GIFTS" end once the "REVELATION BOOK" is out. Well than they must have not known how to speak or read. because clearly the gift is all speech and knowledge.

Nothing about tongues in particular.

Why were they enriched in him in all speech and knowledge? So that you are not lacking in any gift.

I wanted to say this at the beginning of my post, but i chose to put it here so no one gets the idea its an attack of character its not, I think we work best with what we got, So anyways, I get the vibe of like a insane person who overhears a conversion who automatically thinks everyone is talking about the fantasy plot he constructed in his head.

Far as tongues they obviously still exist. Easy to prove. Like if you win the lotto.....YABADDABA DOOO!!!:Thumbsup

Or maybe if there is attractive woman...........humina humina humina!:Inlove

:p:Tongue

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Three things to remember. First it was Jesus' Revelation which He gave to John, Revelation 1:1-3. Second, the seal on that Revelation is to the hearer of it ". . . For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, . . ." -- Revelation 22:18. And all revelations are the Revelation of Jesus Christ, Revelation 19:10; Luke 24:44.

9. ChurchofChristguy

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I haven't researched this at all so my question is rather simpleton. What is the big deal with tongues these days? It is almost as big as marriage enrichment seminars and end times.

I have asked around some, and no one yet can give me a coherent explanation of "tongues" in today's assemblies. What the speaker is saying, who is "interpreting" it, and what the purpose is. All I ever get is it is a "spiritual prayer language" or similar.

Prayer, scripture, preaching, the Lord's Supper, testimony, and singing hymns all serve a purpose. All except the Lord's Supper are for the edification of the saints. Communion is a memorial instituted by Christ. What is the purpose of the "Whwoekseyrwskerey Eieowlshyoourslslsl sosososo" ?

10. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    People get a buzz through disengaging their minds and babbling. It relieves stress. Many cultures including voodoo practice it. But Charismatics think it is the gift of the first century. Speaking in Tongues: Glossalalia and Stress Reduction

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, for Jesus reigns for 1000 years upon the earth, and then turns it over to God the Father in Eternal State!

12. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 1000 years are not the kingdom. Satan attacks the kingdom (still here) when loosed.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When Satan is really bound, there are no more wars or effects of sin here on earth!

14. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is only bound from deceiving the nations. Nothing more. And the gospel binds him.

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There will be no more effects of sinning while Satan is bound!

16. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    God uses Satan to Judge the world while he is bound by the gospel.

17. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    100% agree with this. As I’m reading this thread I’m thinking this is the twilight zone... the OP took this verse completely out of context and extended meanings to it that didn’t exist. “Tongues” for example is not a word used in this chapter.

The topic is grace.

1 Corinthians 1:3-7 (NASB) 3 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 4 I thank my God always concerning you for the grace of God which was given you in Christ Jesus, 5 that in everything you were enriched in Him, in all speech and all knowledge, 6 even as the testimony concerning Christ was confirmed in you, 7 so that you are not lacking in any gift, awaiting eagerly the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ,

This has nothing to do with tongues specifically, and nothing to do with the writings of John, and nothing to do with gifts ending.

A better verse to use for the OP position would be

1 Corinthians 13:8 (NASB)
    Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away.

I think there is a good reason for tongues to cease after the second coming of Christ. Once things are restored, it would make sense that God would re-unify the languages that were confused at Babel. I think the Bible talks about how things would be restored to their pre-fall state.

Isaiah 65:25 (NASB)
    "The wolf and the lamb will graze together, and the lion will eat straw like the ox; and dust will be the serpent's food. They will do no evil or harm in all My holy mountain," says the LORD.

Isaiah 11:6 (NASB)
    And the wolf will dwell with the lamb, And the leopard will lie down with the young goat, And the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; And a little boy will lead them.
    Isaiah 11:15 (NASB) And the LORD will utterly destroy The tongue of the Sea of Egypt; And He will wave His hand over the River With His scorching wind; And He will strike it into seven streams And make men walk over dry-shod.

Without multiple languages, there will be no such thing as tongues.

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Satan when bound will literally be confined away from earth and humans!

19. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quiz: to what extent does scripture say Satan is bound in Revelation 20?

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bound as in casted into the same darkness reserved for the fallen angels of Jude and 2 peter!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.