1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If we are right, why does it feel wrong?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Soulman, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Soulman

Soulman New Member

I believe the early churches were independant and seperate local churches. That is what IFBs' try to emulate. Why can't we all just get along? Why do baptists eat their own young? We seem to have the truth without love. We seem to get along with the ones we knowingly seperate from better than our own churches. Did we get it wrong?:tonofbricks:

2. Salamander

Salamander New Member

In your view, YES, but all IFB churches aren't the same, except they're made up of people.

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know about you but my church, which is Baptist, has good relations with most all of the local churches. The churches work together closely on a whole host of projects (etc). There are two Baptist churches, a United Methodist church, a Church of God, two non-denominational, and one Pentecostal (among others). The churches work together to raise money for needy families, for special services, we promote the activities the other churches are doing (etc).

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You cannot have the truth without love.

I John 4:20, 21 "If someone says, "I love God," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen. And this commandment we have from Him, that the one who loves God should love his brother also."

5. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Here is a question I have often wondered, what is an IFB church? I know what the letters stand for, but just what makes the churches independent and/or fundamentalist? Do they shun associations? formality in worship? recognition of the official work of other IFB churches or other Baptist churches of different stripes?

Outside of Primitive Baptist churches, I have only been to 2 other Baptist churches for services, both of them SBC affiliated. How would an IFB be different from a typical SBC church?

6. Karen

Karen Active Member

A broad, sweeping statement. I am not aware of any way my local church doesn't get along with other local churches.
    Are you perhaps overgeneralizing out of a bad experience?

7. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

You all have heard the old saying,
    "if you find the perfect church, dont join it. You'll ruin it."

Poeple are gonna be people and people are sinners. If you were stubborn and arguemenative before you got saved you will probably be a stubborn and agruementative Christian. Dont expect saved folks to always act like Christ, it aint gonna happen. It is the goal we should all strive for though.

8. kturner25

kturner25 New Member

I've been a member of a few Ind. Fund. Baptist Churches, and found that they differ in collective personality much like people do. Some were on the legalistic side, while others weren't. Some did not like anything to do with the SBC, while others worked with any Church body that served the Lord.

There's a wide variety in the IFB ranks, the ones that land on the legalistic side seem to get most of the attention.