1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If You Could Change ONE Law! Which one?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by latterrain77, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Farmer's Wife

Farmer's Wife New Member

Awww, Justified, go ahead and say it! ;)

Ok, I'll open the can of worms. (Afterall, my name is Robin...and robins like worms, ya know!) It all started with feminism! :eek:

2. David Cooke Jr

David Cooke Jr New Member

Have you ever watched "Law and Order"? If so, picture me as McCoy (Sam Watterson), representing the State in serious criminal jury trials. The difference is all of my murder cases involve the torture or abuse of children. I also try cases like you'd see on "Law and Order SVU"-rapes, child molestations, kidnappings, etc.
    I deal with many victims who are physically and/or emotionally scarred for life. The Atlanta Judicial Circuit has half the population as Manhattan's ciruit, yet we have the same number of rapes and homicides, with only 1/4 the staff. The volume (case load) is overwhelming. I come to this site during court breaks to re-gain a little sanity. Of course, I don't always find it here. [​IMG]

3. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

Not forgetful, just realistic.

I believe that many of the restrictions placed on us today in the name of separation of church and state are preposterous. Singing a Christmas carol at a school Christmas party nor decorating the local town hall for Christmas are in any way establishing a religion, especially by Congress.

But to me it sounds as if you are arguing not only for public prayer led by agents of the state, but also restricting it to Christian prayer. That would be an establishment of religion by the state. When we were less diverse you could have allowed prayer quietly knowing that at worst it would involve some other denomination of Christianity that you are not comfortable with. But today, you would have to allow for equal time because if you structured it to only get what you want, it would be a gross violation of the Constitution by almost anyone's standards. If you do not believe me, imagine for a moment that tomorrow Congress passed a law allowing for school led prayer so long as it was Hindu. You'd be writing your Congressman and quoting the Constitution.

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

No, I don't believe I've seen it David. I get the idea though, and may God bless you and your work! I'm glad there's people like you who have the strength to deal with such cases!
    Chrys