1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If You're a Calvinist, what type of Calvinist are you?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Herald, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

In this case its a biblical moth trying to put out an ungodly flame! :laugh:

2. Herald

Herald New Member

Winman, what an amazing statement. It's not like Arminians don't have their own vagaries.

And just for the record, supra and infralapsarians are almost identical on what they believe. It's their view on passive or active reprobatation that is the area of disagreement. I'm sure you know what those two are, right?

3. Herald

Herald New Member

Good one. ;) I prefer to view it as the errant moth being consumed by the flame of truth. Touche.

4. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bingo!

:thumbs:

5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good thread Herald,
    As with any other area of study.....whatever God has ordained is fine with me....and even if it is not fine with me.......it will come to pass exactly as God has ordained it for His own Glory.
    I have held to both at one time or another,:laugh: When I read Pink, or Gill I drift that way [supra].....but many others make me consider the infra view.

here is a helpful article that helps frame out the issue for those not as familiar with it.

http://www.the-highway.com/Bavinck_predestination2.html

I think there are three or four verses that need to be explained here.

6. Winman

Winman Active Member

Oh, I know that Non-Cals also disagree, that is not the point. The point is that Calvinists CONSTANTLY accuse Non-Cals of not understanding the doctrines of Grace, or of misrepresenting it. You see this argument from non-Cals on occasion, but not to such a degree and frequency as from Calvinists. It is a bogus argument because if you represent one Calvinist accurately, another Calvinist will say we do not understand Calvinism and are misrepresenting what they believe. Wow, really?? How can anyone accurately represent a wide variety of views?

The biggest difference between Cals and non-Cals is over ability, all other points flow from this. It is not so complex and intellectual as you would have people believe. A lot of it is pure mumbo-jumbo. Translation: BALONEY.

7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not to take away from the OP.....seekingtruth, you have a chance to study and learn more about God's grace here. In another thread you mentioned something about interacting with one calvinist that lived by you and that has given you an inclination to oppose what you think the teaching is.

It seems that the one person you mentioned did not seem to be well grounded in truth as he needs to be...or you have perhaps misunderstood what he offered to you.
    In an earler post on this thread with jbh you remarked that you agreed 100% with his statement, but yet you viewed it as a contradiction, or an either /or statement.
    A correct understanding is as jbh posted.....it is both /and.
    Try to restrain your impulse to just lash out against the position until you can articulate it accurately. If you ask sincere questions you will get a biblical reply.:thumbsup:

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

And yes, I understand active (God causes) and passive (God allows) reprobation, but I am sure you will say I am wrong.

9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Winman,

The bible is a big book.It takes time to work through it. Each believer is growing in grace and knowledge at different rates.
    The biblical teaching does not change. Our perception or lack of perception of truth varies.
    Some have training in the original languages and some do not. Some have limitations.....poor reading/comprehension skills, handicaps, previous bad teaching that need to be overcome.

Why would this seem "impossible" to grasp?

10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I thought it was gonna be a good thread, and give us some basis/reference for understanding and future discussion; but some folks are so contrary they just gotta jump in and stir the waters. And it ain't the calvinists I'm talking about (and let's not forget: I ain't a calvinist).

Herald, keep plugging away. This was a good effort.

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

I never said it is unusual for Cals to disagree with each other, where did you get that idea?

I said it is a bogus argument to constantly accuse non-Cals of misunderstanding or misrepresenting Calvinism because no two Calvinists agree 100%.

12. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I have been accused of being many things including a Calvinist although I reject the title because of what I understand about the man John Calvin. I hold to parts of supralapsarianism and Arminianism at the same time. Where that puts me I have no idea, but it is what I find in the bible so I hang on to it.

13. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Winman, you're the pot calling the kettle black. I know you'll admit that non-cals have a greater variety of differences than calvinists (simply because "non-cal" involves anything that doesn't identify with calvinism). The whole point of this thread is to identify the different types of calvinists; but you're trying to make a point instead of letting them do that.

Identify what type of non-cal you are; or better yet, start a thread for "what type of non-cal are you." Or go ahead and start a thread discussing non-cal beliefs vice supralapsarianism, or infra, or another variation of calvinism. But let's let this thread do what it was intended to do. Otherwise, we just come away looking petty.

14. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The absence of God giving grace,leads to a hardening process. I think three times Pharoah is said to have hardened his own heart, and then we are also told that God hardened pharoahs heart. [so was it an active action, or a witholding of grace?]

YLT has it;
    With the potter.....he makes one vessel unto honour [actively] he fashions it
    another unto dishonour[passive] he does not fashion it unto honour.

The infra view states that God overlooks those vessels unto dishonour.....that he has considered the lump of clay as unholy to start with.....they considered as fallen are "left" in that position.[passive} the vessels unto Honour are actively predestined to be conformed to the image of the Son.
    Predestination is primarily used in reference to the vessels of Honour being actively conformed to the image of the Son Rom8:28-39 particularily vs,29.

While the outcome is the same for the unbeliever,ie, second death....
    there does not seem to be the same emphasis on God's active working.

15. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

If you don't wish to debate things, don't post in the debate forum.

16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Believing non cals are really cals who do not know it yet! I think I remember someone saying that in a sermon one time:laugh::laugh:

17. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I sincerely appreciate your attitude and spirit within this thread. Thanks for your interest in what Calvinist brethren believe, including myself.

- Peace!

18. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Would amend that to say that we have been seen as being "lesser" calvinists, as someone like RC Sproul tends to see us as being "inconsistant" cals, as logically we should affirm limited atonement!

19. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Also, let's not forget that the paedobaptists would not consider any "baptist" a real calvinist!

20. Herald

Herald New Member

You don't believe that for one second or else you would simply have ignored this thread.

I give Don a lot of credit. He disagrees with Calvinism but has done so, in this thread, not as a antagonist. He's willing to read and see what his Calvinist brethren believe. You, on the other hand, feel compelled to chime in and stir the pot. I wonder what brand of Arminianism that is; active or passive contrarianism?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.