1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ignorance of the Gospel....Possible evidence for Calvinism?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by StefanM, Jul 11, 2004.

1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me start off by saying that I don't have a theological axe to grind here. I'm wrestling with Calvinism and trying to figure out where I stand, but I happened to think of this in church today.

Romans 10:13-14 (NIV)

13"for, 'Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.'
    14How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?"

I think that this scripture basically establishes that one must hear the gospel to be saved. Given that, then those ignorant of the gospel (e.g. unreached people groups) are without hope of salvation.

Ok, the true, non-semi-Pelagian view of Arminianism holds to total depravity that is overcome by the enabling power of the Holy Spirit.
    Therefore, an individual has "free will" to choose what is good in this scenario. However, if said individual never receives the gospel, effectually the person does not have free will to choose to accept the gospel. Since God is sovereign, he could send an angel directly to these individuals to give them the gospel, but he does not. Ergo, we have an example within Arminianism where free will is denied.

The remedy to such a situation would be to preach the gospel to them, right? As soon as I agree to that, then I must realize to what I am giving my assent. Preaching the gospel to them would enable their "free will" in Arminianism, but this would mean that the work of man produced "free will" in an individual, so man would get the credit, not God. This doesn't seem correct.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I look forward to further discussion.

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I see you are encountering many of the logical and scriptural inconsistencies of Humanism, er, I mean, Arminianism. ;)

3. Stratiotes

Stratiotes New Member

Stefan, You hit on a very good point and it is good that you see it. The underlying, but oft unmentioned, protest against Calvinism is the idea that it is not "fair." But, as you have pointed out, it is apparently unfair that some will hear or some will have more opportunities to hear than others.

But, actually, it is not unfair in the least. Let me explain what fair would be first - Fair would be that we all go to hell for our own sin. Unfair is when somebody else pays our penalty in our place when we do not deserve it in any shape or form. Do not whine that God is unfair - we do not want him to be "fair." I praise God always that he was unfair in order to be merciful. Justice is satisfied by his mercy - but it isn't fair that someone else paid my debt and I can never repay him for it.

4. npetreley

npetreley New Member

A hearty amen to that! [​IMG]

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AMEN!

Forget fairness; grace is grand.