1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ignorance of the voters

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Alcott, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scientific Survey Finds Voters of All Parties, Ages, and Genders Are Broadly Misinformed – Just Facts

This very interesting article begins by contrasting James Madison's view of a well-learned voting populace with a recent quote from Michelle Obama.
    Madison: "[voters] must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives.” Failure to do this, he said, will produce government that is “a farce or a tragedy; or, perhaps both.”
    M.Obama: “[all voters need is to] be a citizen,” “have opinions,” and want “a say in what happens.” She emphasized, “I’ve been voting since I was 18 years old—and trust me—I didn’t know nothing about nothing at 18 years old.”

"
    In total, the rates at which voters gave the correct answers varied from a high of 47% for Republican voters to a low of 34% for Democrat voters:

• 47% for Republican voters
    • 43% for males
    • 42% for 35 to 64 year olds
    • 41% for 18 to 34 year olds
    • 38% for 65+ year olds
    • 38% for third-party voters
    • 37% for females
    • 34% for Democrat voters"
    Just one of the questions I will point out that shows true ignorance among an overwhelming majority of voters:

"Question 14: If the U.S. stopped recycling and buried all of its municipal trash for the next 100 years in a single landfill that was 30 feet high, how much of the nation’s land area would you think this landfill would cover? Less than 1%, 1% to less than 5%, or more than 5%?

Correct Answer: Less than 1%. At the current U.S. population growth rate and the current per-person trash production rate, the landfill would cover 0.06% of the nation’s land area. More realistically, the actual area in use will be an order of magnitude smaller, because:

• the U.S. recycles, burns, or composts 48% of its trash.
    • landfills can be more than 200 feet high.
    • after 30 to 50 years, landfills are often covered and used for purposes such as parks, golf courses, ski slopes, and airfields.
    Correct answer given by 9% of all voters, 6% of Democrat voters, 13% of Republican voters, 6% of third-party voters, 12% of males, 5% of females, 5% of 18 to 34 year olds, 10% of 35 to 64 year olds, and 7% of 65+ year olds."

Perhaps a quote from Winston Churchill is in order:"The best argument against democracy is a conversation with the average voter."

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The other day I heard a couple of Democrats on the radio talking about the "right to vote". I don't know how many people are aware of this, but there is no "right to vote" anywhere in our great Constitution. It seems voting and who gets to vote is more of a statutory thing. Early in our country only male landowners were allowed to vote by law, excluding women and the rest of the male population who held no land.

So the next time someone tells you everyone has the right to vote, you can correct them by saying that such a thing does not exist.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know how many times I have pointed that out in different media. The constitution states reasons the right to vote cannot be denied, but that is not 'giving the right' to anyone.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe her emphasis, and will add my own to hers, if she claimed she still "didn't know nothing about nothing," I would believe her!:Wink

• Like Like x 1
  5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IMO The modern polls and surveys are useless as proven over and over again by the Donald Trump phenomena.

The first Tuesday in November is the only poll that counts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Dems also are looking for in the Constutition right to have illegals march in period, and to be able to vote!

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Such has been the case for a long time. Left wing voters are far more ignorant than those on the right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ever heard of the Amendments to the Constitution?

Amendment 15
    Section. 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

Amendment 19
    The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Amendment 24 Annotations fn16
    Section. 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.

Amendment 26 Annotations fn18
    Section. 1. The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, what about it, bud?

11. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This how unAmerican is defined. Refusing to agree with the constitution and its aments, BUD. I just showed you that the RIGHT OF THE CITIZEN TO VOTE is guaranteed by the amendments I quoted.

12. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the words RIGHT OF THE CITIZEN TO VOTE are appropriate underlying the word CITIZEN of course.

• Like Like x 1
  14. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The key point is that these rights are guaranteed by the Amendments to the Constitution not laws. But I agree with you.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    ??? Does not exist?

19th Amendment
    Amendment XIX
    The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of sex.

Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

16. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You showed no such thing, little bud. Stating reasons the presumed right cannot be denied is not guaranteeing the right to anyone.

17. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alright, who does this guarantee the right to?

18. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    male citizens
    female citizens

19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    so what about trams-gender

20. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alright, are there any male or female citizens who do not have the legal right to vote?