1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Illegal stats

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Judith, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are your thoughts on what would happen to service based business?

#61 Use of Time, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2014
  2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even if the legal process could be expedited, the ones that want to get in here legally are not the type of people that will take a job at McDonald's or climb up on a roof to shingle a house..

3. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

He thinks it says WHERE IS MY FREE HEALTHCARE,DRIVERS LICENCE,TAX FREE JOB?

#63 Jedi Knight, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2014
  4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am missing nothing. The economy would recover. It's kinda fun to watch you scramble around and then attempt to explain ITL's post to make you look a little less ridiculous.

He really should explain his own, but I believe he would have if he needed to. Be interesting to see if he bails you out. Based on the context of the conversation I was having with ITL, you are making no sense.

You really should quit while the hole you've dug yourself is too small to bury you and throw away the shovel.

Consider this your opportunity. Last words are killing you.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This time you're the one exaggerating.

There aren't 10,000,000 illegals in the work force. :thumbs:

But I get your point anyway.

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see you've changed your tune.

We are now in agreement on what would happen to wages.

7. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whatever man. I said the term "Small Business" in the first post that started this whole sleigh ride. It's there for everyone to see. I know this because I work with them every day in the contracting field.

ITL actually did just explain his post a little while ago.

The last word thing is exactly what you are trying to do. You are more concerned with getting the better of me or trapping me then moving the conversation forward.

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither would happen overnight, but that's the effect the doomsayers want everyone to assume.. You're talking moving up to 22,000,000 people.

It would take time. Months, perhaps years. With such a gradual process, the hit on the economy would be considerably less than the doomsayers think. Maybe none at all.

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Somebody take the shovel away from this guy! :BangHead:

There's no trap. You shot your mouth off without reading the thread and are paying the price. That's the way it goes.

Now is the time for your "whatever".

10. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If there are a fair number of illegals working in the service industry and they were displaced the search would be on to replace them. Employers would need to increase the wages of these jobs, but again, I don't think there are people lining up to take them, certainly not people who would leave their current job to take them, even if the money were better.

What sorts of service industries? Taxi drivers, maids, landscaping, hospitality (bar, restaurant, hotels), personal grooming, child care, construction (carpeting, roofing), car washes.

I suppose prices for these services would rise a little bit, but if they went too high consumers would use their discretion and not purchase them. I would guess a lot of these businesses would fail. They wouldn't be able to attract workers or if they did, they would need to raise prices to cover the workers wages and people would forego using the service.

What service industries do illegals spend on? I'm drawing a blank. Auto repair, I suppose. Child care. Personal grooming.

11. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You cherry picked a sentence or two out of a lengthy post about why wages would stagnate or go down. I haven't changed my tune.

Wages would rise in these particular industries (which are at rock bottom already, so the effect would be negligible), but in the rest of the employment world wages would stagnate or decline.

12. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah I'm thinking more of illegals that perform these services than those that procure them. I suppose your examples of the service based jobs you listed is probably in line with the kind of work they are doing. My whole point earlier was the sudden absence of these workers would create a labor vacuum that their employees couldn't fill. I agree that a lot of Americans probably wouldn't rush to fill this void leaving the businesses with a tough decision. CMG even mentioned unemployment remains high where he is because in some cases even unemployment is better than to those people than performing menial labor.

As far as the services illegals spend on, I got nothing. I don't recall any study on that particular question but I would be interested in seeing those results. I'm guessing they couldn't afford many services other than child care as that one is a killer these days.

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I took issue with one over the top and obviously false statement. Not that unusual for either of us. You should have admitted way before now that you misspoke. It's on you that you didn't.

14. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, probably not 10M, but it's got to be close. How many total illegal immigrants do you think there are?

Googling around I get anywhere from 10M to 20M. Of course not all adults, but I'd guess 2/3's of whatever number is chosen are adults and are likely in the workforce. Why else would they be here? Most of them work here and send money home. So if there are 11M in the country there would be 7.4M working.

The head of this border patrol group says there are 20M illegals in the U.S. If so, there could easily be 10M workers.
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/sep/9/nearly-20m-illegal-immigrants-us-ex-border-patrol/

15. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suppose they spend on money transfer services. Ha.

I would guess they trade child care services within their community as much as possible. "You watch my kid while I work, I'll watch yours when you work" sort of thing. Maybe they do the same thing with auto repair, grooming, yard work, etc. They are underground workers, rather than go to a legit business and possibly risk discovery, maybe they use the barter system.

16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a lot of home sharing among families. In such an environment, they naturally share child care duties as well. They don't mind going to a legit (have a building and a sign) business to get their cars repaired. A lot of those business owners are illegal as well and pay no federal income taxes. They're not going to report anyone at all for anything.

17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For many who would have to leave -they would only be taking personal effects (wonder if Mexican authorities would charge custom taxes)

For what's its worth - back in 1966 President DeGaulle ordered all foreing troops out of France. He gave them only one year to evucate. Naturally, the US accomplished the mission of moving, troops, dependents, personal and military equipment out of France. I could not find the exact number of troops moved, but according to this link, there were at least 11 MAJOR US Air Force Bases. The Army unit I was in (HQ, MATCOM-then known as S&MA) actually operated out of trains until settling in their new home in Zweibruecken (from our Hill - we could actually see France - just a few klicks away)
    A guessmation 50,000 troops + dependents were required to be moved. Material and supplies from just Army Depots (at least 8) had to be moved, not to mention all other equipment from other Army and AF bases.

18. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, and it has already been established that illegals are overloading the public service sectors such as schools and hospitals, not to mention police and jails. With Ebola floating around and terrorism on the march, it is necessary to close the borders for a few decades.

The President of Mexico, a demagogue, complains that we discriminate against Mexicans but Mexico is very inhospitable to Americans. An example is the Marine in jail for 6 months. We need to send all Mexican felons home to Mexico and jam up Mexican prisons with their own people. I would like to ask why Catholic countries are so dysfunctional?

19. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Digging deep for material I see. The Rocky Mountain News hasn't published in years.