1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured In Defiance of Christ’s Teachings Right Wing Evangelicals Become Gun Toting Maniacs

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Crabtownboy, Aug 9, 2015.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was written by an unbeliever who is also a Mahayana Zen-Buddhist.

Where does he get all this trash?

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Did not Christ say and does not scripture teach:

• Blessed are the peacemakers
    • Do unto others as you would have them do to you.
    • Those who live by the sword die by the sword.
    • Do not be anxious for anything.
    • I will trust and not be afraid.
    • Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,
    • Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all.
    • And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.

So, please answer, where is it taught that we are to carry weapons into services worshiping Christ?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    so are you advocating that the United States does away with its military and police forces?

4. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salty! Salty! The topic is carrying weapons into worship services, not national defense. Come on friend, I expect better understanding, not necessarily agreement, but understanding of the real topic from you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The same place it says not to - nowhere.

There's your answer. So where does it say that we are heretics if we do?

6. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I am not living by a sword. I am not anxious. Carrying a pistol, concealed, is not a sign that someone is afraid or violent. Just because someone is concealed carry does not make them a warmonger or take away from them being a peace maker. You are simply making false assumptions based on your erroneous interpretation of the scripture.

In the end we will have to see who is right because you and I will never see eye to eye on this issue. In the meantime, you go to your church and I will go to mine.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey! Here are some fun facts!

Ready?

1. Standing there like silhouette at the shooting range is not making peace.

2. Carrying a gun for personal protection does not keep one from making peace.

Now! Go and do the right thing.

8. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for a good honest answer. Now if that is the case and looking at the teachings and how Christ lived his life in relationship with with others which side of the question do you think he would come down on in the context of this discussion?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, you don't get another question until you answer the question we have been asking. Where does it say we are heretics? Stop dithering and act like a man and answer.

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you would be saying that God has changed his mind regarding things such as Homeosexuality, and that He would advocate us being under no laws, so lets just have wide open borders, and have Government feed and cloth all people, and provide health care for all, regardless that the means to do that much better is through capitalism and free markets, and through Christians and those of concerned helping others apart from government?

Do you also see it no problem to have those who work hard and willing to help others, forced to "share their wealth?', instead of allowing to have the economy grow as it ahould be?

11. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you know that Heaven once had a war and that Lucifer lost and was thrown out of Heaven?

To be really pure--as you suggest--the church would have to ask that the police never answer any calls from the church or arrest anyone who attacks a Christian. In other words, the church should just let the wolves take down all the sheep at will, huh? Maybe the church should just tell the jihadists in your town, Crabtown, that the best time to get even for the crusades that Obama mentioned would be on Sunday morning as the church does not believe in self-defense but does believe in suicide by criminal and jihadist, not to mention Hindu and Shinto.

You first, Crabtown.

12. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To me carrying a weapon into a church service denies the following scripture:

Blessed are the peacemakers
    Do unto others as you would have them do to you.
    Those who live by the sword die by the sword.
    Do not be anxious for anything.
    I will trust and not be afraid.
    Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,
    Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all.
    And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.

To deny, that is to deny it by not living it is heresy. I use the meaning of heresy as a controversial or unorthodox opinion or doctrine. Defending carrying weapons to a service of worshiping Christ is, to me, controversial and unorthodox. I have never, until very recently, ever, anywhere in the world heard anyone suggest that carrying a weapon to a worship service is proper and within the teachings of Christ or in keeping with the way he treated others.

So, which side of this issue do you think Christ would come down on?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Jesus would ask to see my Glock. And compliment me on making a good choice of a self-defense weapon.

And I would say "thank you. I bought it with the money you gave me the energy to work hard for. It was bought to make sure that my family and friends were safe from the world the leftists have created by their stupidity."

1 Timothy 5:8 - Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

14. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Crabby:
    I think we can see which side He "comes down on" by looking at the past massacres!
    Now just use a little common sense and decide why He allowed these to be killed!!!!
    Would He have "disarmed" a carrier so the death toll could remain; or could (would?) He have used a carrier to immediately stop the slaughter?
    Of course He could have stopped the slaughter anyway, BUT He didn't.
    Seems to me that if you are going to put God on the spot to condemn those who would carry in the church, why not blame Him for not stopping the one(s) who DID carry into the church
    Oh, and Crabby, don't ever lock your car, or home doors, or drive following the traffic signals, yada, yada, yada - IOW at least be consistent.

15. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I respectfully disagree. Can you show me any examples from his teachings or life that support your belief?

A very liberal interpretation of that verse. There is nothing in that verse about a worship service.

Here is how a commentary described the meaning of that verse:

Putting 5:8 into context we can see it has nothing to do with carrying or now carrying weapons to worship services. Indeed, it has nothing to do with worship services at all. Here is a description putting the verse in context:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These have nothing to do with protecting one self from muderers. The use of these for that ideology is to rip them out of context. Couldn't be more inappropriate.

17. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do the police protect your church, Crabtown? If so, isn't that just as bad as carrying a gun to church (which might have saved a lot of lives in Charlotte, or would you have been against that, too?).

18. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's not the traditional definition of heresy. Heresy is an unorthodox CORE doctrine, not any unorthodox doctrine. Unless KJVO, not using musical instruments in worship, or women wearing slacks (just to name a few) is heresy in your book. Likewise, carrying weapons is hardly a core doctrine.

19. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So blacks should not carry guns to church to protect themselves from the KKK? Or is it just whites that should be disarmed in church?

20. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm out of this conversation.we are never going to agree. I believe Jesus would carry. After all he brought a whip to the Temple.