1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

In God's image, or after His likeness?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Derf B, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This topic came up in another thread, and it seemed interesting to me (thanks @The Archangel for pointing it out).
    In Gen 1:26, God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."

The two phrases are "in our image" and "after our likeness", and each phrase is represented by a single word in the Hebrew, from what I can tell, so the prepositions are somewhat arbitrary. Do they mean the same thing or something different? If the same, then it seems like God is emphasizing the point by saying it twice. If different, then what are the two messages He is giving us?

The combination of phrases is used one more time, in Gen 5:3, though the order is reversed:
    [Gen 5:3 KJV] And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat [a son] in his own likeness, after his image;[H6754] and called his name Seth:
    (You might notice that the prepositions are switched, which made me think they were somewhat arbitrary.)

So what does "image" mean?
    What does "likeness" mean?

I'd appreciate input from some of you Hebrew scholars!

2. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The commentary by Jameison, Faussett and Brown, puts it really well:

"In our image, after our likeness. This was a peculiar distinction, the value attached to which appears in the repetition of the idea by a different but synonymous expression. And in what did this "image of God" consist? Not in the erect form or features of man; not in his intellect, because the Devil and his angels are in this respect far superior; not in his immortality, because he does not have, like God, a past as well as a future eternity of being; but in the moral dispositions of his soul, commonly called original righteousness (Ecc_7:29). Since the new creation is only a restoration of this image, the history of the one throws light on the other; and we are informed that it is renewed after the image of God, in knowledge, righteousness, and true holiness (Eph_4:24; Col_3:10)."

• Like Like x 1
  3. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cool!. Thanks for posting that. (a quick shout out to @The Archangel to note the synonymous nature at least in this commentary).

I wonder (getting off topic a bit) about the statement regarding immortality. Immortality denotes, by it's construction, the idea of never dying, rather than of always having been alive. Any newborn could have immortality if that newborn were guaranteed to never die.

That's a concept that's more than hinted at with God's warning to Adam not to eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, though I've heard some say that the immortality requires eating of the tree of life. Thus, they were either born immortal, but something changed with the sin, or they were born mortal, but could replenish their "lives" (to use a gaming term) by eating of the tree of life.

4. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can tell you for sure, that in the Hebrew both terms are synonymous

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    while all human bodies are mortal, the souls are immortal. after death all will end up in either heaven or hell, where they will remain forever

6. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's another commentary on Genesis 1:26, this by Matthew Henry:
    "That man was made in God's image and after his likeness, two words to express the same thing and making each other the more expressive; image and likeness denote the likest image, the nearest resemblance of any of the visible creatures."

Since the original topic had to do with emotions, here's a bit from Henry on emotions:
    It is only some of God's honour that is put upon man, who is God's image only as the shadow in the glass, or the king's impress upon the coin. God's image upon man consists in these three things:-
    • 1. In his nature and constitution, not those of his body (for God has not a body), but those of his soul....
    • 2. In his place and authority: Let us make man in our image, and let him have dominion....
    • 3. In his purity and rectitude. God's image upon man consists in knowledge, righteousness, and true holiness, Eph. 4:24; Col. 3:10. He was upright, Eccl. 7:29. He had an habitual conformity of all his natural powers to the whole will of God. His understanding saw divine things clearly and truly, and there were no errors nor mistakes in his knowledge. His will complied readily and universally with the will of God, without reluctancy or resistance. His affections were all regular, and he had no inordinate appetites or passions....
    Read "emotions" for "appetites and passions". In this respect, Henry suggests Adam's emotions were like unto God's, and hadn't yet been corrupted.

7. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps. But the souls that go to hell at death are reunited with the body at the resurrection, some to life and others to the lake of fire, where the immortal body seems to be an impediment (the smoke of their torment goes up forever). Thus, if the souls are immortal, and bodies not, their disconnect is brief, and of little purpose.

Again, this is a side issue...

8. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    a new body, as described in 1 Corinthians15

9. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed! That's why I question some the doctrines about hell and the damned, because if they are given a new body, why, if just to throw that new body into the lake of fire?

10. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvin's commentary on the two phrases:
    "In our image." Interpreters do not agree concerning the meaning of these words. The greater part, and nearly all, conceive that the word image is to be distinguished from likeness. And the common distinction is, that image exists in the substance, likeness in the accidents of anything...As for myself, before I define the image of God, I would deny that it differs from his likeness.

11. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    so, what do you think will happen to the unsaved, who do not accept Jesus as their personal Saviour?

12. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A. And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. Gen 1:26,27 KJV
    And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. Gen 2:7

B. For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. Romans 8:29 NKJV

I believe you have to ask yourself. Is A. the same image as B?

Did God have in his thought and intent, the Word was with God, B when he brought about A? - According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, Eph 1:4.5 KJV

Here is another thought:

And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day. Gen 1:31 KJV
    For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it in hope; Rom 8:20 NKJV

Is; For the creation was subjected to futility, A?
    Is; in hope, B?

Acts 15:18 KJV Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.

Does not Heb 2:6-10 basically say the same thing?

13. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My thoughts.

Before the foundation of the world there was spiritual warfare going on. Somewhere, Darkness was upon the face of the deep.
    Before the foundation of the world the Son of God was going to die. Sin and death were coming.

Again Acts 15:18 Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.

Something did not go wrong.

14. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Before or after the resurrection? I.e., something definitely happens to them after the resurrection, which I already mentioned. Are you asking about that or about what happens to them before the resurrection?

#14 Derf B, Oct 16, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  15. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure how all that, as interesting as it is, is related to the OP. Are you saying that the "image of God" and the "likeness of God" are the same thing (synonymous) or different? If the latter, what are the differences?

Thanks,
    Derf

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hopefully input from non-scholars will not be rejected out of hand.

Often the bible presents the same idea or concept using differing words or phrases, perhaps highlighting slightly different nuances of the concept. Does "image" refer to some of the more easily discernible attributes, whereas "likness" refers to the more profound attributes? In any event, you need to slice the baloney pretty thin to avoid the two terms mean essentially the same thing. I think some commentaries suggest "image" refers to God's personhood (intellect, will and emotion) being also in human persons. And our godly attributes (just, love, mercy, kindness, patience, etc) being in His likeness.

• Like Like x 1
  17. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. Gen 1:26,27 KJV

Well I do see something interesting.----- I see;

Let us make man in our image, --- God created man in his own image, male and female created he them.

What happened to, "after our likeness"?

From my previous post you know I believe before the foundation of the world man would have to forego a change. Be bore again. The promise of God made before the world began was, hope. The man to be created would be created with the need of, hope.

Considering the man created in the image of God was thus; male and female created he them. That is in this age; See Luke 20:34-36 Jesus answered and said to them, “The sons of this age marry and are given in marriage. (Male and female) “But those who are counted worthy to attain that age, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry nor are given in marriage; “nor can they die anymore, for they are equal to the angels and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection.

Is that when they will be made, "after our likeness"?

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

In what age will the heirs become the inheritors?

Hey, I am just kicking around thoughts that come to mind.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here’s one I got from biblehub.com. It says the two phrases are not the same (that’s one for you @The Archangel):
    In our image, after our likeness.—The human body is after God’s image only as being the means whereby man attains to dominion: for dominion is God’s attribute, inasmuch as He is sole Lord. Man’s body, therefore, as that of one who rules, is erect, and endowed with speech, that he may give the word of command. The soul is first, in God’s image. This, as suggesting an external likeness, may refer to man’s reason, free-will, self-consciousness, and so on. But it is, secondly, in God’s likeness, which implies something closer and more inward. It refers to man’s moral powers, and especially to his capacity of attaining unto holiness. Now man has lost neither of these two. (Comp. Genesis 9:6; 1Corinthians 11:7; James 3:9.) Both were weakened and defiled by the fall, but were still retained in a greater or less degree. In the man Christ Jesus both were perfect; and fallen man, when new-created in Christ, attains actually to that perfection which was his only potentially at his first creation, and to which Adam never did attain.

I don’t see any mention of emotions, so I don’t know how to apply this one way or another to the previous conversation, but it does say that both our image-of-God-ness and our likeness of God are still in place, but hampered by the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about John Wesley, @The Archangel?

That man was made in God's image, and after his likeness; two words to express the same thing. God's image upon man, consists,
    1. In his nature, not that of his body, for God has not a body, but that of his soul. The soul is a spirit, an intelligent, immortal spirit, an active spirit, herein resembling God, the Father of spirits, and the soul of the world.
    2. In his place and authority. Let us make man in our image, and let him have dominion. As he has the government of the inferior creatures, he is as it were God's representative on earth. Yet his government of himself by the freedom of his will, has in it more of God's image, than his government of the creatures.
    3. And chiefly in his purity and rectitude. God's image upon man consists in knowledge, righteousness, and true holiness, Ephesians 4:24; Col 3:10. He was upright, Ecclesiastes 7:29. He had an habitual conformity of all his natural powers to the whole will of God. His understanding saw divine things clearly, and there were no errors in his knowledge: his will complied readily and universally with the will of God; without reluctancy: his affections were all regular, and he had no inordinate appetites or passions: his thoughts were easily fixed to the best subjects, and there was no vanity or ungovernableness in them.