1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

In Race for a Coronavirus Vaccine, an Oxford Group Leaps Ahead

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by KenH, Apr 28, 2020.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a tremendous blessing from God this would be.

‘ That has enabled them to leap ahead and schedule tests of their new coronavirus vaccine involving more than 6,000 people by the end of next month, hoping to show not only that it is safe, but also that it works.

The Oxford scientists now say that with an emergency approval from regulators, the first few million doses of their vaccine could be available by September — at least several months ahead of any of the other announced efforts — if it proves to be effective.

Other scientists involved in the project are working with a half dozen drug manufacturing companies across Europe and Asia to prepare to churn out billions of doses as quickly as possible if the vaccine is approved. None have been granted exclusive marketing rights, and one is the giant Serum Institute of India, the world’s largest supplier of vaccines.

Donors are currently spending tens of millions of dollars to start the manufacturing process at facilities in Britain and the Netherlands even before the vaccine is proven to work, said Sandy Douglas, 37, a doctor at Oxford overseeing vaccine production.

“There is no alternative,” he said.

But the team has not yet reached an agreement with a North American manufacturer, in part because the major pharmaceutical companies there typically demand exclusive worldwide rights before investing in a potential medicine.

“I personally don’t believe that in a time of pandemic there should be exclusive licenses,” Professor Hill said. “So we are asking a lot of them. Nobody is going to make a lot of money off this.” ‘

In Race for a Coronavirus Vaccine, an Oxford Group Leaps Ahead

2. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does that mean that the lockdown will end in September?

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The governor here in Arkansas is right now taking the first steps to end it in this state as we head into May.

4. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are lucky. The Governor of Indiana Holcomb has said that he will not comment until Friday. He has no viable opponent in the election this year but I'm still not going to vote for him. I will just abstain. He was a staffer for Sen. Lugar and then a staffer for Gov. Daniels (IN) and Pence made him Lt. Gov. when his Lt. Gov. resigned to become head of Indiana Ivy Technical College; then Pence ran for V-P and Holcomb ended up running for Governor and winning. He has been a non-factor in this crisis. Former Gov. Daniels, not President of Purdue University, said that Indiana needed to return to work and that did more good than anything Holcomb has done. Indianapolis will be in a recession in my opinion.

5. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would be great, but that is also a big IF.

#1 It must be safe, can you imagine giving a vaccine to hundreds of millions of people to later find out it causes devastating health effects?

#2 It has to work, but last I heard we can't cure the common cold caused by a Coronavirus. I don't know, perhaps there are many cold viruses and we could single one out and make a vaccine to eradicate it if that was necessary. On a positive note, it does appear that the bio-scientists think it can be done.

As for a time frame, I would think we've been working by an old standard and that along with the urgent need that we should have the ability to speed this up with new innovation. It is a huge a responsibility but would certainly be a blessing to the world!

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read an article back a couple of months ago about this and the point was made that it's not that a vaccine for the common cold couldn't be developed, but since it just causes a few days of discomfort that there is no money being used to try to do so.

7. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Kind of hoping advances are made in antibody science, to possibly even replace vaccine science. Very concerned they're going rush this vaccine and do more harm than good. I'm wondering if receiving antibodies might have the same immunity effect without the side effects.

I admit, however, I don't know much about either.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Antibodies are made in the body and vaccines trigger that to happen by basically introducing a replica of the virus that is not harmful so that the body recognizes it quickly and has already developed cells to fight it.