1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured In search of J. J. Ray

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by rlvaughn, Mar 15, 2018.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While searching for biographical information on J. J. Ray, author of God Wrote Only One Bible in 1955 (1976 edition at link), I ran across a June 14, 2004 thread by Paul of Eugene (Oregon) called Can any body tell me about JJ Ray?. Paul was looking for information on Ray for Maurice Robinson of Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary. That's been nearly 14 years, and Paul and Maurice may have found what they were looking for by now. But, as for me, I couldn't find much of anything readily available, so went through Ancestry.com and Newspapers.com to see what I could come up with. One person in the thread asked Paul, "If you do find out anything about him, would you please share it here on the BB?"

In consideration that someone on the BB might still be interested. I am posting a bit of what I found.
    WorldCat library catalog lists only the one book by Ray. His initial foray in the subject appears to be an 8-page pamphlet called The Eye Opener: an Unbiased, Non-sectarian Examination of the Revised Standard Version Bible, which was copyrighted in 1953. It even elicited a response in A Malicious Attack on the Revised Standard Version of the Bible: A Review of the Booklet "The New Blasphemous Bible" by Dr. Gerald B. Winrod and "The Eye Opener" by J. J. Ray, by someone named Carl J. E. Nelson of Colorado Springs, CO that same year. In 1978 Ray published "The New Eye Opener," a tract apparently about the TEV Bible. That was the extent of his writings that I found. The current Eye Open Publishers of Eugene keep for sale "The New Eye Opener" and an updated version of God Wrote Only One Bible.
    Though using the material of a 7th-Day Adventist, it is very unlikely that Ray was. He was a preacher and moved in evangelical circles, but I never found what his membership was. His mother's obituary says she was a Methodist. In 1920 he was the manager of a dry goods store in New Plymouth, Idaho, but by 1930 he is listed in the census as a Secretary of Home Missions. In 1934, living in Junction City, Oregon, he is listed as a missionary in the Eugene City Directory. In 1936 he became the new missionary for the American Sunday School Union in the Lane Field (Lane County and vicinity). He apparently was already with the ASSU before then, and he remained with them as long as I found any such references, into the early 1960s. He preached and did Sunday School work in many differently denominations -- Baptist, Bible Churches, Christian & Missionary Alliance -- but there was nothing that ever identified him with any particular denomination.
    According to God Wrote Only One Bible, Ray's world-wide ministry was his publishing business. "The Eye Opener Publishers is a world-wide ministry operating on a no-profit basis. It is international and absolutely non-sectarian, serving the entire body of Christ." (unnumbered page 2)
    Eye Opener Publishers is what appears to be called in Oregon an "Assumed Business Name." (Apparently this is the same as what we call in Texas "Doing Business As" or DBA.) J. J. and Ruth E. Ray are mentioned as the owners of this Assumed Business Name in the Register-Guard (Eugene, Oregon), February 4, 1959 (Wednesday, p. 7B). There is someone doing business as Eye Opener Publishers at present in Eugene, Oregon.
    No pseudonym -- Jasper James Ray was born 10 July 1894 in Montana to T. H. Ray and Sadie Glassley. He died 1 Sept 1985 in Lane County, Oregon. Paul misread that he was survived by his wife (her name is given in the death index). Ruth Etta Ray died 4 April 1973.
    With what I had access to, I could not determine if J. J. Ray has any living descendants. Both of his children were living at the time the BB thread was started in 2004 -- one in Lane County and the other possibly in Dallas, Texas -- but both have since deceased.

Probably too much information for most folks, and not enough for those with the greatest amount of interest.

#1 rlvaughn, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #2 Jerome, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was a KJVO church member when I got hold of his book God Wrote Only One Bible.

It was like a second bible to me at that time.

I don't know why but I thought he was Plymouth Brethren.

5. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looks like the 1978 New Eye Opener wasn't so new after all. Probably a readaptation of the 1969 one -- which probably included some references to some new Bible that had been recently published around that time.
    There is also one of these -- no preview -- for 1921. Interesting to know that he had some background in the printing/publishing industry.

Thanks.

6. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the Mind of God to the Mind of Man: A Layman's Guide to How We Got Our Bible (edited by James B. Williams) called J. J. Ray "a Baptist minister". Unfortunately, he gives no source.

[I learned a new term from the above book, Williams calls the opposite extreme from KJVO "King James Discreditors".]

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The Revision of 1881 [et al.]...are in no true sense a revision of the King James of 1611. If they were, they would follow the same Greek text, the Textus Receptus. All that they should have done, was to replace the obsolete words, correct a few errors in translation, and clarify some hard-to-be understood expressions...The crying need of today is still for an honest, trustworthy revision of the King James Bible. However, it remains the very best English translation now extant."

J. J. Ray gets cited a lot in KJVO and anti-KJVO writing. Both sides might be surprised he wrote the above sentences. God Wrote Only One Bible, pp. 30-31

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reason I ask is that there were no "modern" versions before W&H 1881 RV and therefore no KJVO movement necessary.

Thank you for the PDF file.

#8 HankD, Mar 16, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  9. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't understand for certain what you are asking, but I generally agree. On the other hand, there were some incidents that called on Christians, churches, or associations to verify their stand on "which Bible," such as the 1817 Tennessee Association upset by John Wesley's 1755 New Testament. See HERE.

You're welcome.

10. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    1808 -First Septuagint in English, the first in the world, and the first complete re-translation of the Bible by an American, Charles Thomson, was printed in Philadelphia.

1833 - Noah Webster's Revised Bible.

1850 - American Bible Union Version.

1853 - Rabbi Leeser translation of Hebrew scripture into English.

1862 - Catholic Bible revised by Archbishop Kenrick from Rheims-Douai version.

1867 - The Holy Scriptures, translated and Corrected by The Spirit of Revelation, by Joseph Smith (also known as the Inspired Version or IV); Published by Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

1876 - Julia E. Smith Bible; (Hartford) American Publishing Company.

1877 - Caxton Exhibition "12-hour" Bible.

1878 - Rotherham Emphasized Bible.

1881-85 - Revised version.

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom do you know which of the above NT's would be considered "modern" or non TR.

I know the Douay-Rheims is from the Vulgate.

Joseph Smith "translated and corrected", Hmm.

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK you answered my question, KJVO per-dates Ray.

13. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As the critical text did not come along until after 1880 the assumption is they were based on various representatives of the TR.

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, thanks, I wondered if the Alexandrian texts were an issue before W&H.

15. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think with KJV, like so many other things, issues are addressed when the come up. For example, you'll not likely find much about churches or denominations addressing abortion or homosexual marriage before these became major issues in our society. In the same way, since almost everyone -- despite the fact some other version might have been theoretically available -- was using a King James Bible (regardless of what they thought about it), so there was little reason for the topic to come up. The incident in 1817 in the Tennessee Association was predicated, apparently, by a Methodist preacher hawking John Wesley's New Testament. There seems to be general agreement (and I have no reason to doubt it) that the impetus for J. J. Ray's book (and Edward F. Hills, as well) was because some people were pushing the Revised Standard Version which had recently arrived on the scene.

16. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Regarding the works of J. J. Ray, "The New Eye Opener" is online HERE. I'm not sure which "year model" it is (maybe 1978, it mentions the TEV).

17. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 1850 New Testament that I have seen is a slight revision of the KJV as edited by Spencer Cone and William Wyckoff.

Cone, Spencer and William Wyckoff (eds.). The Commonly Received Version of the New Testament with several hundred emendations. New York, 1850 and 1851.

According to what I have seen, the complete American Bible Union Version of the New Testament was not printed until 1866. One partial edition of the American Bible Union Version with just the four gospels was printed in 1862, at least that is all in the reprint edition that I have.

A second revision of the American Bible Union Version printed in 1874 listed the following as the first rule:

"The received Greek text, critically edited, with known errors corrected, must be followed."

18. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    The later revisions of the American Bible Union (whose work was transferred to the American Baptist Publication Society) New Testaments gradually departed more from the Received Text, although they went nowhere as far as the RV. They occasionally placed readings (like the Pericope Adulterae) in brackets, noting they were "wanting in most of the ancient copies."

The Union's translation was most notable for using immerse rather than baptize.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Newspaper article from 1947, interesting that the Gideons are mentioned:

Albany (Ore.) Democrat-Herald, September 20, 1947, p. 4

"Missionary J. J. Ray Honored At Rally"

"More than 100 friends of Missionary J. J. Ray gathered at Junction City grange hall for a surprise sunday school rally which culminated in an ovation for the work done by Mr. Ray in his 21 years of missionary work of the American Sunday School union. Following a delicious turkey dinner served by the ladies of the grange was a program of music and singing and a sermon by Rev. Mr. Templin of the Junction City Baptist church. At the close of the program. Missionary Ray was presented with a new Chevrolet sedan....Mrs. Ray was presented with a new purse containing a $50 bill....Contributions and gifts came from members of the Portland, Corvallis-Albany, and Eugene camps of the Gideons; from members of the American Sunday School Union Sunday schools scattered over Linn, Lane, Benton and Douglas counties and from a host of other friends In Oregon and Washington. A special Oregon Trail bus was chartered from Albany to accommodate the large group coming from that place to participate in honoring Missionary Ray for his work In the Sunday school field."

20. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Springfield (Ore.) News, May 18, 1922, p. 4

"Eugene Watrous has transferred his interest In the Junction City Times to Jasper J. Ray, and retired from the business. The firm name is now Nelson & Ray. Mr. Ray is a son-in-law of Mr. Nelson."

#20 Jerome, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018