1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

In the Beginning

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Squire Robertsson, May 28, 2002.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In The Beginning: The Story of the King James Bible and How It Changed a Nation, a Language, and a Culture by Alister McGrath, Anchor Books, NYC, 2001

In the Beginning is a throughly readable book. The author traces the development of the Bible in its English translation from Wycliffe’s efforts through the first publication of the KJV in the newly independent United States. Residing in Oxford, England, Mr. McGrath is professor of Historical Theology at Oxford University, Principal of Wycliffe Hall and general editor of the NIV Thematic Study Bible among other endeavors.

Professor McGrath writes respectfully of the KJV and its translators. He takes pains not to allow modern notions of scholarship and technique to second guess this flowering of Elizabethan and Jacobean thought. Mr. McGrath makes the case that the King James Version along with Shakespeare’s plays were unifying forces in the development of the English language.

For my non-native English readers, I recommend In the Beginning as it helps to explain why English is the language it is today. For my native English readers. I recommend the book as it explains why there are all those thee’s and thou’s in the AV 1611.

I am posting this here instead of the translation's forum in order to shed more light than heat.

2. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First of all let me say I am KJV and that is my preferance but I don't make a bone of contention out of it. I enjoyed the book and liked the way it was set up. All the events that brought the translation about was interesting. The setting, time, atmosphere, people, and culture was what the translation was about. The intoduction of the printing press and the different innovations in the printing procedures was fascinating. Not to take away from the many characters in the plan and purpose of God. How the Geneva Bible played a part and how it was favored but why not it why the KJV? A fascinating and stimulating book that I found very interesting and I feel those who attack the KJV to them it should be a must read. If I was a christian book reviewer I would give it the highest mark at +++++ 5 Crosses!... Brother Glen [​IMG]

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only negative comment I've heard on the book is that there are no footnotes or end notes. This is a glaring omission for a book by an Oxford don. Yes it was written for a popular audience, but that's not really a good excuse. Professor MacGrath makes assertions and draws conclusions that would be better made if he had noted his particular source. That being said the book has an eleven page bibliography.

4. dp

dp Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That sounds like a very interesting and informative book. Thanks for the information, I'm going to check into the book.

5. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Squire where is Salada Beach I've never heard of it?... Brother Glen :confused:

6. nam4christ

nam4christ New Member

If you liked IN THE BEGINING, you will like, WIDE AS THE WATERS THE STORY OF THE ENGLISH BIBLE AND THE REVOLUTION IT INSPIRED by Benson Bobrick.

7. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nam4Christ thanks for the information and I surely have to read that one. It will be a companion to In The Beginning that is already in my Library. Thats what I like about the baptist board finding out about other book and publications that are available to purchase if I so desire!... Brother Glen [​IMG]

8. nam4christ

nam4christ New Member

Brother Glen, You are welcome, I am glad that I could be of help. After all is not that what Christian fellowship is supposed to all about loving and helping one another grow in our Lord Jesus? Sometimes I feel that we Baptists are so busy shooting at one another we forget that. No I
    am not suggesting that there is not a time for rebuke and correction. But, even this should be done in a spirit of love and with an eye towards restoration, not to destroy ministries and lives.