1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Incense use in worship?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by LarryN, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

Never heard it used in a baptist church.

2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What was the context of the usage? Did the pastor just run up and light the stuff or was he/she making and illustrative point, perhaps even using the text you mentioned earlier in your first post

Your question is so loaded, why have organ music, when is the last time you popped in the ole' organ music CD into the player and just toe-tapped away? Doesn't sound very 21st Century friendly to me! Why have any of the things we do in church?

3. mioque

mioque New Member

'then is smoking (tobacco) necessarily a forbidden practice? "
    "
    It isn't.

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

My preference would be that it not be used. I've got a lot of chemical allergies -- perfumes, cleaners, etc. I've got to think this might be a problem for people with asthma too. I wouldn't make an issue out of it if my church did it, but I'd have to make a decision about going there or somewhere else.

5. mioque

mioque New Member

"I've got to think this might be a problem for people with asthma too."
    "
    It certainly is. One part of the logistics of the liturgy in churches that have choirs and burn a lot of frankincense is to keep the smoke and the singers somewhat seperated from eachother.

6. Rachel

Rachel New Member

That's interesting. :cool:

7. Petrel

Petrel New Member

On the other hand, when you smoke you inhale a concentrated stream of smoke. I doubt a study has been done, but the amount of carcinogens inhaled during a church service using incense is probably much lower than the amount inhaled purposefully by a frequent cigarette smoker.

Grilled steak has carcinogens too. :cool: