1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Inconsistent on Qualifications

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by PastorSBC1303, Feb 27, 2006.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

His logic may be sound, but it is misplaced. He is inserting the word "divorce" into the text of 1 Timothy. As Dr. Bob posted earlier that is a terrible error. Man reads divorce into the text of 1 Tim, it was not placed there by the Holy Spirit.

Therefore he is being inconsistent, as many are on this issue. They hold men to qualifications that are not in the text.

If they want to be consistent, then if a man who is divorced before salvation is disqualifed, so is a man who was given to drunkenness, a lover of money, and all the other qualifications before salvation. And I would venture to say that there is not a pastor out there who is qualified by those standards.

2. standingfirminChrist

Ouch, SBC!

May we all step down from the pulpits that we so faithfully have defended for many years.

No, I will continue to preach. When God forgives, He forgives totally. He does not say, 'I forgive you of this divorce, now you must remain without a woman the rest of your life. He said, 'It is not good that man should be alone. I will create for him an helpmeet.'

The problem is, so many step out before God and marry the wrong woman. God did not create Eve and then say, 'Adam, there is a woman out there somewhere, go find her'. No, He brought the woman to the man.

Those that are single and want to be married, need to pray and ask God to place the right woman in your life. Then you can truly say, 'What God hath joined together, let no man tear asunder'.

3. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Exactly, SFIC. But we need to be consistent across the board.

JohnV, you are a nut! You really have a way with words!! You said "Adultery is when a married person fornicates (has sex with a person who is not his/her spouse). But adultery isn't limited to just , well, shall we say, insert tab "A" into slot "B". Being intimate in any manner with a person who is not your spouse, in a manner which is reserved for your spouse, is, imo, adultery. If a man kisses another woman in an intimate manner, or even has intimate conversation in an intimate manner, I believe it to be adultery. WE shouldn't buy the "it wasn't cheating because we never had sex" rationalization. The spirit and intent is clearly there."

I believe that kissing someone other than a spouse is adultery too. But how do you determine if a conversation is "intimate"? Seems thats a gray area, and to call that adultery might be a little harsh, imo.

4. standingfirminChrist

Jesus said if we lust after a woman in our heart, we have committed adultery.

Getting a little graphic TaterTot... better get you a cold drink

5. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

LOL, SFIC. I am feelin' a little paaaaaaaarched. Got any Diet Barq's?

For real, tho. There is a male teacher at school that we gals discuss things openly with - none of us get embarrassed by it, and we are able to discuss objectively. That cant be considered adultery, surely. I think I know where Johnv was headed, but I just dont think we can say that intimate conversations = adultery. Maybe I am amiss on this one.

6. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I guess all things are new except for divorce"

Divorce is an act, not something that is made new, old or refurbished. Murder is an act. Man that is on death row for murder doesn't get a "Get Out Of Jail Free" card when he get saved.

[​IMG]

7. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I guess Paul was not qualified by his own qualifications then, huh?

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am glad God is not as unforgiving as some men and women. I think we forget what "forgiveness" means.

It means to never think on or look to the offending act again. It means to treat the offender as if it never happened.

God told Isreal "I will remove your sins from you as far as the east is from the west". In other words from eternity to eternity will your sins be cast away. Never to be seen of again.

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If I'm spending time with another woman, and having personal and private discussions with her that I would normally only have with my wife, then imo, I'm committung adultery. Yes, I know it's a grey area, but let's put it this way. If you're it from your spouse because you know your spouse will feel betrayed, it's probably adultery.

10. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

ok, gotcha. You're completely right, Johnv. Just seems like adultery is a harsh word. I would probably say one is heading for adultery, instead of in the act of it though.