1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Incorrect/Correct Doctrine

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Don, Dec 8, 2010.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No, that is not true. He said: "You shall be witnesses."
    He did not say that their witness throughout the whole world would be accomplished by them. That is reading into the text something that is not there. It never happened. It was an impossible task for eleven men. Besides that there were now 120 waiting in that room in Acts chapter one. That in itself negates the Great Commission being given to just eleven, for 120 were waiting to be filled with the Holy Spirit.
    You are wrong here also. They never heard the gospel when they heard them speak in foreign languages.

And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. (Acts 2:4)
    Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God. (Acts 2:11)
    Cretans and Arabians, we hear them speaking in our tongues the mighty works of God. (Acts 2:11) [ASV]

There is no indication here that they heard the gospel. They spoke in tongues "the mighty works of God." That is not the gospel. They didn't hear the gospel from those that spoke in tongues. They only heard praise to God Almighty.
    [/quote]You can bet they didn't keep that 'lamp under the bushel'. No, they 'put it on the stand' so that 'it shined unto all that are in the house'. They preached the gospel in all those nations under heaven that they were from. The day of Pentecost was literally in every sense a 'gospel bomb'. [/quote]
    No it wasn't. The only gospel that went forth that day was when Peter preached afterward to a great crowd. Many have preached to great crowds since then as well. What was significant about that day was that from that day forth believers would be indwelt with the Holy Spirit, whereas before that day they were not.
    What great commission? Peter preaching just one sermon in his own territory is hardly the great commission going out to all the world. Tongues was a sign to the Jews that gospel had now come to the Gentiles as well.
    It was a fulfillment of prophecy.

In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord. (1 Corinthians 14:21)
    Here Paul quotes from Isaiah 28:11,12. The tongues was like a final warning to the Jews. They would here the message of God spoken in other languages besides their own, and by other nations besides their own. When they saw this sign they would know that judgment was near. Still they refused to listen. And judgment came in 70 A.D. This had nothing to do with the Great Commission. Tongues was a sign to the Jews.
    This verifies the unbelief of the Jews. Don't take Scripture out of context. Continue on:

But I say, Did not Israel know? First Moses saith, I will provoke you to jealousy by them that are no people, and by a foolish nation I will anger you.
    20 But Esaias is very bold, and saith, I was found of them that sought me not; I was made manifest unto them that asked not after me.
    21 But to Israel he saith, All day long I have stretched forth my hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people. (Romans 10:19-21)

He is speaking about an unbelieving Israel, not the gospel that has gone forth to all the world; not about the Great Commission.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

More Scripture taken out of context. Not even Albert Barnes (himself a Calvinist) would take that same ultra literalist view that you just did:
    Paul speaks of "my gospel," not that it is any different from the gospel presented in the Scripture, but he is referring to his work in spreading the gospel. He went on three missionary journeys taking him through many nations and through it all established over 100 churches. It is an idiom where all doesn't mean all, but rather his work in "all" the nations that he had been to.
    No, that is not true. God had to convince Peter to get rid of his prejudice of other people, Gentile people as being "unclean" just as the meat in the vision was "unclean" to him. He would have to get used to the fact that he would be fellowshipping with Gentiles as well as with Jews, and that they both would be one in Christ.
    The gospel went to the Jew first because to them was committed the oracles of God or the Word of God. Christ Himself was a Jew.
    This crooked generation were those very ones that had crucified Christ. Peter made that very clear:

Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ. (Acts 2:36)

(NET) Every person who does not obey that prophet will be destroyed and thus removed from the people.'
    (GW) Those who won't listen to that prophet will be excluded from the people.'
    --In Acts 3:23, the idea is that of excommunication. They will be excluded from the people. It is not referring to the destruction of a nation.
    Matthew 23 was a chapter of condemnation against the scribes and Pharisees of that day. They had kept the knowledge of truth from the common person and they would be judged for it. Take the chapter in the context for what it is written.
    God always gives man a chance to hear the gospel. If your next door neighbor doesn't hear the gospel his blood will be upon your hands and you will be held accountable for his eternal destiny.
    And many don't. They see a mis-application of Scripture.