1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Indulgences

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Darrell C, Apr 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saved by grace

Site Supporter

You see the thought behind indulgences in the words of Paul in 1 Col. 1:24

“Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake and in my flesh I complete what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions for the sake of his body that is the Church, of which I am a minister.”

What could be lacking in Christ’s afflictions? What is lacking is our participation in Christ’s sufferings which can be offered up for the living for their conversion to Christ and to those in purgatory for their sanctification and for our sanctification as well.

Paul’s sufferings while on earth as well as the sufferings of all the saints now in heaven become a part of the “Treasury of Merit” from which we can acquire an indulgence granted by the Church.

Because we are members of the Body of Christ we can gain indulgences from the Church for ourselves or apply them to those in purgatory to shorten their time of purification.

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    X. INDULGENCES

1471 The doctrine and practice of indulgences in the Church are closely linked to the effects of the sacrament of Penance.

What is an indulgence?

"An indulgence is a remission before God of the temporal punishment due to sins whose guilt has already been forgiven, which the faithful Christian who is duly disposed gains under certain prescribed conditions through the action of the Church which, as the minister of redemption, dispenses and applies with authority the treasury of the satisfactions of Christ and the saints."

"An indulgence is partial or plenary according as it removes either part or all of the temporal punishment due to sin." The faithful can gain indulgences for themselves or apply them to the dead.

The punishments of sin

1472 To understand this doctrine and practice of the Church, it is necessary to understand that sin has a double consequence. Grave sin deprives us of communion with God and therefore makes us incapable of eternal life, the privation of which is called the "eternal punishment" of sin. On the other hand every sin, even venial, entails an unhealthy attachment to creatures, which must be purified either here on earth, or after death in the state called Purgatory. This purification frees one from what is called the "temporal punishment" of sin.

1473 The forgiveness of sin and restoration of communion with God entail the remission of the eternal punishment of sin, but temporal punishment of sin remains. While patiently bearing sufferings and trials of all kinds and, when the day comes, serenely facing death, the Christian must strive to accept this temporal punishment of sin as a grace. He should strive by works of mercy and charity, as well as by prayer and the various practices of penance, to put off completely the "old man" and to put on the "new man."

In the Communion of Saints

... In the communion of saints, "a perennial link of charity exists between the faithful who have already reached their heavenly home, those who are expiating their sins in purgatory and those who are still pilgrims on earth. between them there is, too, an abundant exchange of all good things." In this wonderful exchange, the holiness of one profits others, well beyond the harm that the sin of one could cause others. Thus recourse to the communion of saints lets the contrite sinner be more promptly and efficaciously purified of the punishments for sin.

1476 We also call these spiritual goods of the communion of saints the Church's treasury, which is "not the sum total of the material goods which have accumulated during the course of the centuries. On the contrary the 'treasury of the Church' is the infinite value, which can never be exhausted, which Christ's merits have before God. They were offered so that the whole of mankind could be set free from sin and attain communion with the Father. In Christ, the Redeemer himself, the satisfactions and merits of his Redemption exist and find their efficacy."

1477 "This treasury includes as well the prayers and good works of the Blessed Virgin Mary. They are truly immense, unfathomable, and even pristine in their value before God. In the treasury, too, are the prayers and good works of all the saints, all those who have followed in the footsteps of Christ the Lord and by his grace have made their lives holy and carried out the mission in the unity of the Mystical Body."

Obtaining indulgence from God through the Church

1478 An indulgence is obtained through the Church who, by virtue of the power of binding and loosing granted her by Christ Jesus, intervenes in favor of individual Christians and opens for them the treasury of the merits of Christ and the saints to obtain from the Father of mercies the remission of the temporal punishments due for their sins. Thus the Church does not want simply to come to the aid of these Christians, but also to spur them to works of devotion, penance, and charity.

1479 Since the faithful departed now being purified are also members of the same communion of saints, one way we can help them is to obtain indulgences for them, so that the temporal punishments due for their sins may be remitted.

Catechism of the Catholic Church (emphasis added)
    Catechism of the Catholic Church - The sacrament of penance and reconciliation

• Like Like x 1
  3. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is the scope of the Thread:

Okay, you will have to excuse me, Mennosota, I did miss that it was a quote. My error.

Now, we move on to looking at this official teaching.

Why not just go to the source?

Not really, the importance is outlined in the scope:

And what is important is that point (2) has been addressed by a Catholic and ignored.

That is basically an underlying issue that motivated the thread.

Secondly, a short quote with what might be thought favorable impact on an argument you present hardly fulfills a look at Indulgences.

Okay, again, sorry for my goof, I was being sloppy, so let's proceed on to a fuller look under the scope of the thread.

God bless.

4. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We addressed #1. Adonia expressed how s/he perceives indulgences in her/his daily life, #2. I don't bring it up in talking with those who attend the Roman church unless it becomes a stumbling block to their understanding of Christ's once and for all atonement, #3.

5. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see nothing in this that supports a Doctrine that allows for Indulgences.

Rather, Paul contrasts his own sufferings with that of Christ for the Body and his...are lacking.

Not Christ's.

Not a single thing, else He had not stated "It is finished."

And the burden now lies on you to produce (1) Scripture that actually teaches that and (2) Official Catholic Doctrine that teaches that, that we might compare them.

Since an argument has been presented that there is Scriptural Support for Indulgences, and you know that many who are not Catholic reject Oral tradition, then we need to meet on common ground and examine anything you feel in Scripture supports the doctrine and practice.

I do not see the above as doing so.

My friend, could you show me where Scripture at any point suggests that saints suffer in Heaven?

We know there is grief suggested but in view in these contexts is physical suffering of the body.

Then you reject the teaching earlier posted from a Catholic site...

Myth 5: An indulgence will shorten your time in purgatory by a fixed number of days.

The number of days which used to be attached to indulgences were references to the period of penance one might undergo during life on earth. The Catholic Church does not claim to know anything about how long or short purgatory is in general, much less in a specific person’s case.

...?

God bless.

6. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    As to Vatican 2 and its discussion of indulgences, see What Happened at Vatican II by John W. O'Malley, Society of Jesus, Harvard University Press, Sep 1, 2010.

The revelant section is at:

What Happened at Vatican II

7. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    What you quoted is, in fact, the modern dogma, as promulgated by Paul VI in Indulgentiarum Doctrina (1967). Previous practice had, in fact, specified exact times that temporal punishment would be reduced.

8. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the quote, rsr. Now, if we can just figure out what in the world they mean by what they are saying, and how Catholics understand it, and then compare that with how Indulgences are presented by those of other groups.

Something I would point out is that there is a distinction made between...

The forgiveness of sin and restoration of communion with God entail the remission of the eternal punishment of sin, but temporal punishment of sin remains.

How do we look at that? How does the Catholic look at it.

This...

While patiently bearing sufferings and trials of all kinds and, when the day comes, serenely facing death, the Christian must strive to accept this temporal punishment of sin as a grace.

...needs clarification, because it is difficult to say whether the temporal punishment is the sufferings and trials of life, or, they are saying it follows the sufferings and trials of life.

This...

He should strive by works of mercy and charity, as well as by prayer and the various practices of penance, to put off completely the "old man" and to put on the "new man.

...seems to indicate that temporal suffering is part of the process of "putting on the new man."

Any Catholics care to comment?

Continued...

9. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems to be a straightforward statement concerning Christ, and attributes that which is "meritorious" to Him.

It is the merits of Christ by which mankind could be set free from sin and attain Communion with the Father.

This seems pretty clear:

In Christ, the Redeemer himself, the satisfactions and merits of his Redemption exist and find their efficacy.

While I view this as error, it doesn't really strike me as any more harmful than thinking that Christ's literal physical blood was carried into Heaven and sprinkled on the Throne of God, as a number of Fundamentalists believe.

We do see mention of the prayers of the Saints in Revelation three times.

And I think we see a root cause for doctrines like this...to keep people from questioning the Leadership.

I was recently told by an associate Pastor that basically people need to be brought to the Church so they can be taught, the implication that the regular folk have no business teaching and preaching.

That is one of my biggest griefs with the Catholic Church is their stranglehold on the Word of God (both now and historically) and their inclination to suppress personal study by the "regular folk (us plow boys, lol)."

But to be honest, I see the same thing in most groups, though they may not have official statements that can be traced back centuries. And still, despite this, there are still those in those groups that study on their own, and do not take every word of their leadership as Gospel truth.

God bless.

10. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Darrell C said:

Please present an official statement from the Catholic Church, and why you disagree with it, so that we might better understand this issue by looking at what is actually taught..

I didn't ask for links so I could research what your views are, lol.

If there is something in there you disagree with, quote it, state why you disagree, and then we can discuss it.

God bless.

11. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    I referenced the fact that Paul VI mostly ignored a chorus of disapproval of indulgences at Vatican II. One of the best sources (aside from reams of transcripts of the proceedings) is O'Malley's book.

12. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now we are getting somewhere.

Isn't it odd that we have conflict in the Catholic Church as to what is the official position of the Catholic Church?

Now let me quote the position of an actual Catholic that is a member here, rsr...

And this has been in large part ignored, and I would bet argyle socks that despite the fact that Indulgences are not a Doctrine or Practice of this Catholic that will not make a shred of difference in how they are treated...because they are a Catholic.

God bless.

13. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't see that in your post. Could you quote the relevant issue, it sounds interesting.

God bless.

14. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

God's sovereignty allows him to regenerate a person by whatever means he sees fit, He doesn't have to blast a person with some nuclear holy light for them to stop sinning, he can choose by whatever means he deems even if they appear humble or lesser to our standards. This includes if God wants regeneration or repentance to spring by the means of his disciples and Church.

John 20

21So Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you; as the Father has sent Me, I also send you.” 22And when He had said this, He breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23“If you forgive the sins of any, their sins have been forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they have been retained.”

15. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, it's likely true that indulgences, as commonly understood, have fallen in favor since Vatican 2, but the concept is surely alive because indulgences are assumed for prayers, reading the Bible and reciting the rosary, among many, many other acts. It may be true that Adonia pays no attention to the general (as opposed to the special indulgences such as those issued for the Year of Mercy), but is it reasonable to say that modern Catholics pay no attention to the structure that enclose indulgences?

16. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's a condensed version that O'Malley wrote for America magazine (published by American Jesuits):

The Complex History of Indulgences

17. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that in Adonia's case there is no question the Doctrine holds no true relevance to his beliefs. That testimony has already been given.

God bless.

18. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what other official teachings of the church are not relevant?

19. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Regeneration is a one-time event which excludes it from being associated with efforts of the Body of Christ in the temporal. We don't become almost the sons of God, or hopefully one day the sons of God, we become the sons of God when we are born of God, which is immediate to those who believe on the name of Christ.

Being born of God is not something men can effect:

John 1:11-13
    King James Version (KJV)

11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Regeneration, or, being born again, is synonymous with being born from above, Born of God, Born of the Spirit.

It is the Gospel and the Resurrection which Peter declares as the means of Regeneration:

1 Peter 1
    King James Version (KJV)

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,

5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

1 Peter 1:22-23
    King James Version (KJV)

22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:

23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

There is no mention of Regeneration in this passage, and the command to receive the Spirit does not nullify Christ's teaching that the Eternal Indwelling of God would commence when the Comforter came (which would take place after Christ returned to Heaven).

So it is quite impossible to say the disciples are born again Christians at this point because one is not a new creature until they are reconciled to God and brought into Eternal Union with Him.

I do agree that in view are the disciples being commissioned, sent as Christ was sent, however, we do not equate remission of sins by men with the remission of sins accomplished by Christ through His Offering of Himself. One has a temporal context (as even the sins forgiven by Christ during His earthly Ministry, meaning, those whose sins He forgave were still in need of the Atonement after that) and one has an Eternal context.

God bless.

20. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not a thread to bash Catholics or Catholic Doctrine, rsr. The topic is Indulgences, how it is taught by the Catholic Church, how it is perceived by Catholics themselves, and how it is perceived by those who stand in opposition to it.

There are numerous Catholic Doctrines which are irrelevant to numerous Catholics, just as there are numerous Protestant Doctrines that are not only not relevant to many Protestants, but rejected.

God bless.

#40 Darrell C, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.