1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Indulgences

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Darrell C, Apr 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The church is Christ. It doesn't reside with its headquarters in Rome.
    How else does the body of Christ discern when a religious group is wrong?
    The example of using scripture to examine religious teachings (tradition) is found in Jesus. Jesus quoted scripture as his source in declaring the Jewish rulers to be wrong. God's word superceded traditional teaching of the Temple leaders, scribes and Jewish rulers. In essence, Jesus invoked "Sola Scriptura" when addressing the leaders. This is precisely what the Reformers did with a corrupt religious group in Rome.

2. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And again the point is that not all Catholics view the Pope as infallible. Whereas there are Baptists who view their Pastor as infallible. So both are apples, just rotten ones.

;)

Tell that to the man who got very offended at a person our Pastor was helping out...when he mowed grass on Sunday.

That fellow...defiled the Sabbath!

How about the view that if one does not receive the Gospel prior to the Tribulation...they have no chance of being saved during the Tribulation.

The point is still the same, you cannot say "All Catholics do this," and, "No Baptist does that," because the truth is that there are legalistic and ignorant men in both groups, just as there are sincere believers in Christ in both groups.

This is true in fellowships where the Word of God is central.

Why do you think I am an independent Baptist (a little too independent for some people's taste, lol?

However,m that does not nullify the point I have made, which is there are people who view their Pastor as infallible, and that he speaks for God. I believe myself that every man of God is a spokesman for Christ, meaning, the Pastors that God has placed in that position.

Again, explain tithing.

That is not Christian Doctrine, that is a tradition of men that corrupts the Biblical teaching of the principle of supporting those who minister the spiritual things of God to people, and merges the Law into Christian Doctrine.

And we wonder why there are Christians who ask "Do we, as Christians...need to keep the Law?"

God bless.

3. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

"The most certain form of baptism is child baptism. For an adult might deceive and come to Christ as a Judas and have himself baptized. But a child cannot deceive. He comes to Christ in baptism, as John came to him, and as the children were brought to him, that his word and work might be effective in them, move them, and make them holy, because his Word and work cannot be without fruit. Yet it has this effect alone in the child. Were it to fail here it would fail everywhere and be in vain, which is impossible." -- Martin Luther

"8. Every one must now see that pædobaptism, which receives such strong support from Scripture, is by no means of human invention. Nor is there anything plausible in the objection, that we nowhere read of even one infant having been baptised by the hands of the apostles. For although this is not expressly narrated by the Evangelists, yet as they are not expressly excluded when mention is made of any baptised family (Acts 16:15, 32), what man of sense will argue from this that they were not baptised? If such kinds of argument were good, it would be necessary, in like manner, to interdict women from the Lord’s Supper, since we do not read that they were ever admitted to it in the days of the apostles. But here we are contented with the rule of faith. For when we reflect on the nature of the ordinance of the Lord’s Supper, we easily judge who the persons are to whom the use of it is to be communicated. The same we observe in the case of baptism. For, attending to the end for which it was instituted, we clearly perceive that it is not less applicable to children than to those of more advanced years, and that, therefore, they cannot be deprived of it without manifest fraud to the will of its divine Author. The assertion which they disseminate among the common people, that a long series of years elapsed after the resurrection of Christ, during which pædobaptism was unknown, is a shameful falsehood, since there is no writer, however ancient, who does not trace its origin to the days of the apostles." -- John Calvin Book IV Institutes

"10. We have said that the symbols by which the Church is discerned are the preaching of the word and the observance of the sacraments, for these cannot anywhere exist without producing fruit and prospering by the blessing of God. I say not that wherever the word is preached fruit immediately appears; but that in every place where it is received, and has a fixed abode, it uniformly displays its efficacy. Be this as it may, when the preaching of the gospel is reverently heard, and the sacraments are not neglected, there for the time the face of the Church appears without deception or ambiguity 2290and no man may with impunity spurn her authority, or reject her admonitions, or resist her counsels, or make sport of her censures, far less revolt from her, and violate her unity (see Chap. 2 sec. 1, 10, and Chap. 8 sec. 12). For such is the value which the Lord sets on the communion of his Church, that all who contumaciously alienate themselves from any Christian society, in which the true ministry of his word and sacraments is maintained, he regards as deserters of religion. So highly does he recommend her authority, that when it is violated he considers that his own authority is impaired. For there is no small weight in the designation given to her, “the house of God,” “the pillar and ground of the truth” (1 Tim. 3:15). By these words Paul intimates, that to prevent the truth from perishing in the world. the Church is its faithful guardian, because God has been pleased to preserve the pure preaching of his word by her instrumentality, and to exhibit himself to us as a parent while he feeds us with spiritual nourishment, and provides whatever is conducive to our salvation. Moreover, no mean praise is conferred on the Church when she is said to have been chosen and set apart by Christ as his spouse, “not having spot or wrinkle, or any such thing” (Eph. 5:27), as “his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all” (Eph. 1:23). Whence it follows, that revolt from the Church is denial of God and Christ. Wherefore there is the more necessity to beware of a dissent so iniquitous; for seeing by it we aim as far as in us lies at the destruction of God’s truth, we deserve to be crushed by the full thunder of his anger. No crime can be imagined more atrocious than that of sacrilegiously and perfidiously violating the sacred marriage which the only begotten Son of God has condescended to contract with us." -- John Calvin BOOK IV institutes

Can I hear a AMEN for Calvin and Luther?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul was not against the Roman Catholic Church...they did not even exist.

But if you want to bring Paul into it, he was also against groups, who we know were churches/fellowships recognized by him, who were in error concerning Doctrine and Practice. Let's see, yep, that was pretty much every group he wrote to. Each group he wrote to had to be taught specific doctrine. That is why he wrote them.

As far as Luther being against the heresy of the RCC, as far as I am concerned, I don't see too much to be impressed about Luther about. As far as Calvin goes, I view his position on regeneration to be anti-biblical and it leads people away from understanding regeneration for the same reason Catholics embrace certain doctrines we object to...indoctrination.

If people read the Books of the Bible instead of books about the Bible they could be led of God away from false teachings, whether they are from an institutional organization, or from teachers like Luther, Calvin, and quite a few other people worshiped by people. So you're throwing out name of people who I find equally erroneous on a number of issues, so let's get a bigger box, okay? We need one that holds more than just Catholics.

;)

God bless.

5. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The point isn't personal opinion when talking about the Roman church. The Roman church leadership and dogmas declare the pope to be the vicar of Christ. You are making up a comparison that is not a comparison at all.

Did the church declare by fiat that the person was damned to hell? Your anecdotal arguments hold very little weight.
    There is scripture one can use to make the argument. That is...if one believes in a pretrib rapture.
    I don't. I am sharing church dogma, which supercedes what parishioners personally or individually believe. You seem to struggle with acknowledging that the Roman church dogmas and traditions take precedence over parishioner opinion.

One can share from the scripture why those people are wrong. This is what is so great about Sola Scriptura, it sharpens the body of Christ. Iron sharpens iron. God's word is like a two edged sword.
    Pastor's are shepherds of the Christ's sheep. They may or may not do an honorable job.
    Giving to God and God's shepherds has a strong biblical history in both the Old and New Testament. Scripture has much to say about giving. Sola Scriptura.
    People who are in Christ can find the answer in God's word. People who are not in Christ try to come up with disciplines of do not touch, do not handle. They imagine this makes them right with God. (See Colossians 2)

Sola Scriptura

6. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    MennoSota, I am not going to argue the same points over and over with you.

Again, the Topic is Indulgences, and again, we have the testimony of a Catholic as to how that impacts his walk with Christ, and again...you ignore that.

That is relevant. Your opinion about what it is that Catholics teach and believe isn't.

I would suggest that the Catholic Church, at least some of them, is a watered down version due to the leadership of each fellowship. It's no different than having liberal Baptist Churches, and conservative.

God bless.

7. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Darrell I have stayed on topic. You keep trying to raise the parishioner above the role of the Roman church. You cannot do that. The Roman church doesn't function that way.

8. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not always, because they do not take the time to study for themselves, they rely on their leadership, and basically borrow the faith and beliefs of their leadership. "My Pastor says..." replace "Thus saith the Lord."

And worse, some take a position because...that's what their friends believe. I have seen it over and over on forums that no matter how well you support a simple, basic Bible truth from Scripture, you just can't get it through some of the skulls of people you talk to.

Now, there is one more thing to consider, and that is being a member of a fellowship where you have many people you love, both friends and family. I have stayed in the same fellowship for years despite my differences with what is taught, and this due to my family that went there. I did not want to have a negative impact on their own walk with Christ. But, now that the kids have grown up and moved on (my nieces and nephew), and my Dad has left the fellowship, we are now free to visit around. And I do not expect to find a fellowship where what I believe is taught completely. But, that is a good reason why some Catholics may remain in the fellowship they belong to, despite not agreeing with all Catholic Doctrine and Practice.

And one obvious thing to note with a number of Catholics is that they actually read their Bibles, lol. In fact, if you look at the doctrine of some Catholics, you would see that they aren't really teaching Catholic doctrine at all. It is a version of their own making, just as we see "Baptists" with doctrine that is certainly not Baptist (Annihilation, Soul Sleep, pre-existence of the spirits of men, etc.).

God bless.

#88 Darrell C, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
  9. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't do that? On the contrary...that is my goal.

If we can get anybody, Catholic, Protestant, what have you, to simply read the Word of God we can rest in the knowledge that God will instruct them. You say the Roman Catholic Church doesn't work that way, but I have seen quite the opposite in speaking with Catholics, who, I will add, some of them...are more conservative than some of the evangelicals and Protestants I have spoken with. You just need to speak with Catholics, MennoSota, not at them. All that will happen is you will have an irritated Catholic that supposedly your trying to correct in regards to salvation in Christ.

And if you want to stay on topic, lets back up to Adonia's statements early on, and examine those.

And that's all the time I have tonight. Not sure if I will have time to post in the morning, so will have to respond when I am able. In the meantime, though, if you could just look at what he said and give it some consideration, then perhaps you might understand the underlying thrust of this thread.

God bless.

10. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And by the way, if nothing else, I do like your Icon. Pretty cool.

;)

God bless.

11. utilyan

Site Supporter

Jesus never said Jewish teaching was wrong, but that it wasn't followed.

Matthew 23

1Then Jesus spoke to the crowds and to His disciples, 2saying: “The scribes and the Pharisees have seated themselves in the chair of Moses; 3therefore all that they tell you, do and observe, but do not do according to their deeds; for they say things and do not do them.

He didn't leave them, he was often kicked out.

You don't hear Jesus say well you guys are a false religion cop out, not even with Samaritans.

Jesus says how a dispute is handled. Never once says crack open the scriptures for authority.

Matthew 18

15“If your brother sins, go and show him his fault in private; if he listens to you, you have won your brother. 16“But if he does not listen to you, take one or two more with you, so that BY THE MOUTH OF TWO OR THREE WITNESSES EVERY FACT MAY BE CONFIRMED. 17“If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. 18“Truly I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven.

That's the thing. To handle the situation biblical 100% doesn't mean required to use the bible!

We can quote Calvinist theologians, I love James White, And he will tell you neither JESUS, THE APOSTLES, THE HEARERS of our Lord, nor their immediate successors believe in or practice SOLA SCRIPTURA.

Sola Scriptura is a perfect response to WHERE IS THE CHURCH? Folks in the uknown who don't even believe there is a church out there. Some even say magically make it disapear "spiritual church" that trancends....

But even someone alien to Christianity starting outside of it, He needs someone to IDENTIFY and put the right book in his hands in the first place, Tradition does that.

I believe the bible absolutely true, all of it, I love the scripture, I love every rule in it.

And I hate when people make up rules not found in the bible.

NAMELY, that it has to be in the bible to be christian. The biggest made up rule of all. ITS NOT IN THERE!

Its not even CLOSE!

12. utilyan

Site Supporter

Actually that's where plenty of Saints come from. If you think the Pope is the highest in a hierarchy that is incorrect, it is always God Almighty. The clergy is not superior. The highest rank is Saint. Sometimes they are very much loose cannons they are hunted down by demons AND angels.

Pope is know as servant of servants. The clergy has to protect the unchanging deposit of faith. Titles don't mean anything if you have God on your side.

The highest priority is always love, kindness and compassion.

13. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Darrell, you are treating the Latin Rite folks as if they're a bunch of Protestants. The Latin Rite church proclaims that is alone is the repository and teacher of correct doctrine and it is expected that members will believe, or at least give religious assent to its official teachings.

We all know this is not true, but many Catholics repeatedly tell us that the magisterium is the final authority, yet they feel free to disregard teachings they don't care for. They can't have it both ways.

14. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Very well said! Bravo!

15. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    All the non-orthodox doctrines came about from 1400 to over 1900 years down the road and I don't lend much credence to any of them. People like Luther, Wesley, Zwingli, Calvin, Wycliffe, Smith, White, and Russell all came up with their own particular brand of Christian truth, so which one has the real skinny?

#95 Adonia, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
  16. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    So non-orthodox doctrines that appeared, in say, 500 or 1000, are OK?

17. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is how the Jewish leaders reacted to Jesus when He spoke scripture to them and showed that their traditions were not in alignment with God's word.

It was shocking to the leaders when Jesus declared "Before Abraham was born, I Am." They trusted in their traditions rather than God and His word.

18. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The heretical doctrines that reared up in the early days were effectively dealt with by the Church. Arianism, Docetism, Nestorianism, to name but a few were rejected by the Church and the faithful believers. For some reason, things really got out of control from the Middle Ages on and that was that.

19. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was NOT referring to the church of Rome!
    And the Bible is the FINAL authority on all things regarding doctrine sand practices!

20. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now quote them as regarding how a sinner gets justified before Holy God, and NEITHER would hold the RCC theology regarding that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.