1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Inflation Is Theft

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Dale-c, Jun 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

This is a good article.

Let me know what you think, did you know that some one was stealing from you??
    Read More

2. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Boy, I'm sure glad I don't have any money, or I might be inclined to be angry ;)

3. Daisy

Daisy New Member

What are the alternatives? Stagnation or, worse, deflation?

I'm under the impression that slight inflation is the sign of a robust economy. It's bad for those on a fixed income and those who neither borrow nor invest, but an advantage for most everyone else.

I'm not talking about immoderate inflation like we had in the 80s. The Feds are pretty vigilant about preventing that these days.

4. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

What I think you fail to understand, Daisy is that our money is being diluted.
    You see, then the Federal government can borrow money from the federal reserve, and the federal reserve merely prints new money, money that has no backing, they are diluting the value of all of the money in circulation.
    It is called a "fiat" money.

It is a money without backing, it comes from nowhere.

5. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I forgot to answer this directly.

The alternative is a Godly monetary system that is based on gold and silver, the way God intended.
    One that can't be manipulated by the wicked banking system.
    We have had this system so long that we can't even imagine anything different.

6. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Gold and silver are Godly?

They can certainly be manipulated.

7. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Daisy, first of all, do you believe that our monetary system should be governed by the Bible? I mean is it moral or amoral?

8. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

I know what you mean!:thumbs: :laugh:

9. Daisy

Daisy New Member

No, it should be guided by fiscal prudence and US law.

Is or should be? Is - a mixed bag. Should be - there are too many differing opinions as to what is moral, immoral and amoral when it comes to government fiscal policy.

I do agree with Pr 20:23, that false accounting and crooked weights and are immoral - but that has nothing to do with the gold standard. Gold and silver don't have set, intrinsic value - their value flucuates with the market. South Africa has a major influence, if not the major influence, on gold prices. Tell the goldminers there how moral the system is.

10. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

One way to help the fiscal health of the US is to quit borrowing for an immoral war on a nation that posed no threat to us.

11. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I definitely prefer the constant predictable low level of inflation over the hyperinflation that would happen if the Federal Reserve didn't try to control inflation with interest rates or the shrinking economy and loss of jobs that would likely occur if they did their best to eliminate inflation.

Basing your economy on gold or silver puts your fiscal policy at the mercy of international mining companies.

The article shows a general lack of understanding of economic policy over the last few centuries.

Another thing to remember is that when inflation happens, the government also loses value. Nobody's money increases in value from inflation (so technically nobody is gaining or stealing) but historically inflation has been arguably correlated with the rate of growth of the economy.

#11 Gold Dragon, Jun 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2006
  12. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Well....people who get mortgages to buy their homes benefit because they borrow money at today's better value and pay it back with future dollars which, with inflation, are worth less; meanwhile, if all goes well, the value of the asset has increased due to inflation. The mortgage holders don't lose because they receive interest; most the interest is paid way before most the loan is, so if that is reinvested, the mortgage holder also wins.

The Libertarians, some of them, will argue that the government is immorally subsidizing borrowers by guaranteeing the loans (under certain guidelines) and by regulating lenders on usury, rates, disclosure clauses and other fair lending laws, while most liberals applaud the same because it benefits society as a whole and the individuals who borrow at the expense of would be billionaires who would benefit from usury and deceit. Moral or immoral, depends on your pov.

13. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Agreed that borrowers benefit from inflation, but with a stable rate of inflation, it can be calculted into the interest by the lenders.

14. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are not at war with a nation.

15. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

You cannot be at war with a tactic, such as Terror, in the misnamed "War on Terror". We invaded Iraq. Last time I looked, that qualifies as a nation.

16. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know anyone can just buy gold bullion if you want a personal "gold standard" of sorts.

17. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

That's true, Stefan, but they are going to have a hard time buying groceries with gold bullion!

Paper money is a means to an end. Without it we'd still be going to the market and bartering for everything we need/want. Yes, the government manipulates it to a certain extent. Yes the "value" of our dollar shifts in relation to the currency of other countries because of a host of reasons. But our society is such that a person must use currency when buying a selling. That's life, get used to it.

Btw, Dale, just where in the Bible do get the idea that God cares what kind of currency we use?

18. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Just where do you get the idea that God doesn't care?
    Since when do we put God in a little box called a Church and tell him he is not welcome anywhere else?

Looks like he cared at least a little bit about such!

How about this:

Christians seem quite content to put God in a little box and then make ourselves little gods in all areas of life outside that box, deciding morality for ourselves.

19. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Quite the contrary, it shows much more understanding than most of economics.

20. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Now, now Dale, your scriptures are out of context.

What does Christ tossing out the money changers and a verse about cheating(and therefore stealing) have to do with the TYPE of currency a nation chooses to use?

Christ tossed the money changers because they were a) desecrating His temple and b) cheating people while they did it. He did not toss them because they were using the wrong type of currancy!

Christ also said to render to Cesaer what is Cesaer's. Our Cesaer (the US government) has choosen to use a paper currency that is currently not backed by gold or silver, but is money because the government says it is money and it is our government's RIGHT to do so!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.