1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Inspiration/Infallibility/Inerrancy: To Be or Not To Be?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by AndyMartin, May 19, 2017.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If that is what he really believes in, then he would be holding to a limited imerrancy viewpoint!

2. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The scriptures in the originals were fully inerrant, and now are still infallible in all that they teach about...

And Jesus death saves us, and the Spirit takes the Gospel message and enables us to receiveHim to get saved, but still have that problem if we see it as being limited inerrancy, where and when should we really trust what it states to us?

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are the bible versions inerrant? No, but the good ones are for sure infallible!

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, as the Dr was not saved, but someone who is a teacher in the church must rightly discern the scriptures!

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a common error. Our stand for truth is itself a stand in opposition to that which is false. We do not have to attack those who distort. We can consider what is said, take what is good and leave out what is bad.

This is how some of us can learn from people like CS Lewis, Martin Luther, John Calvin, Jonathan Edwards, and John Wesley while also teaching in opposition to their doctrine (like sacrament, a denial of eternal divine punishment, infant baptism, ect.).

6. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He does not question the virgin birth or Adam and Eve. You are simply bearing false witness about him.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. AndyMartin

AndyMartin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say that in all probability, that at least 98% of versions of the English Bible's are in agreement. There are some textual variations, but not many that are major, though there are some, like 1 Timothy 3:16, where "θεὸς" is the correct reading, and is very important for the Deity of Jesus Christ, as His Incarnation. Our confidence must not be shaken by these differences.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not true. There was a separation between my salvation and my acceptance of an inerrant Scripture. My belief was tied to the power of the gospel, not the accuracy of the biblical narrative.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. AndyMartin

AndyMartin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    maybe you should quit defending Stanley for the sake of it, or from some unknown loyalty, and hear and see what he ACTUALLY has said. These quotes are from the two video clips on the other thread:

"The foundation of our faith is not the Scriptures, the foundation of our faith is not the infallibility of the Bible...you can believe the Adam and Eve story is a creation myth, so what, who is Jesus...when I deal with Adam and Eve I quickly say, hey this is one of those odd stories, this is that story you heard growing up about two naked people, running around in a garden, and who can believe that, there are many creation myths"

"Christianity does not hinge on the truth or even the stories about the birth of Jesus, it really hinges on the resurrection of Jesus"?

#49 AndyMartin, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. AndyMartin

AndyMartin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't get what I am saying? What we know about God, the Trinity, Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, etc, and everything about our salvation, is found in the Holy Bible. If there were errors in the Bible, then who is to say that accounts about these Important issues are not also part of those errors? Do you understand? We NEED an Infallible, Inerrant Holy Bible to base our understanding on. I am NOT saying that a sinner needs to understand this before they are saved, in order to get saved!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of them has areas where their theology was not biblical, but all of us have that problem to some degree! The tricj is to not be in error on the cardinal doctrines of the faith...

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If no Virgin Birth, how did he manage to bypass the fall and not receive a sin nature>

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "mistakes" in english versions do NOT invalidate any cardinal truth of the faith...

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, Christians need and have the infallible Word of God. I agree (I was still thinking evangelism because of the other thread....sorry).

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And identifying those doctrines

16. AndyMartin

AndyMartin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    John, Doctrines like, "sacrament, a denial of eternal divine punishment, infant baptism", are what are known as "secondary", and not "essential" to our salvation. NO ONE can ever be a truly born again person, who denies the Virgin Birth of the Lord Jesus Christ. Stanley says very clearly, that it does not matter if the story of the Virgin Birth is true, as our faith hinges on only the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. How can Jesus die if He were not born? And if He was not born of a virgin, and the natural way with a natural father and mother, then He CANNOT BE God in the flesh! This is FUNDAMENTAL.

• Like Like x 1
  17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe there is a difference between not holding a doctrine and rejecting a doctrine.

For example, I believe one can be a Christian without believing the doctrine of the Trinity. But I do not believe one can be a Christian and reject this doctrine.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think they already were, it was in the Fundamentals, edited by RA Torrey?

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True, for if he was born of Joseph, than would have been a sinner, and not qualified to be the sin bearer!

20. AndyMartin

AndyMartin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not possible