1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Intellectual Faith

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Reformed, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not asking this question in the blind. I have an opinion about it but I am interested in the opinions of others. So, the question is:

Is intellectual faith alone sufficient for salvation?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you define what you mean by intellectual faith? I think I know what you mean but I want to make sure.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    David, by intellectual faith (also termed "easy believism") I mean a mere intellectual assent to the facts of the Gospel, joined with an appeal to Christ.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then no. I do not believe that is sufficient for salvation according to the Scriptures. We see that just from the word believe itself pistueo and what that actually entails, as well as passages like Romans 10.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, i dont think so, i have read research papers written by Catholic theologians on say the hypostatic union for instance without salvation on the part of the author.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IMO, There is no such thing as easy believism.

Many folk have a head full of historic and theological data without a biblical trust in the gospel of Jesus Christ.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is true. Head knowledge does not always translate into saving faith.

Another way of asking the question in the OP is, "What type of belief is required for salvation?" In Acts 16:30 the Philippian jailer asked, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" Paul and Silas answered, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household." Far be it from me to add to the Gospel. Paul and Silas told the jailer only to believe. But if you look at the events that occurred prior to the jailer's question, you understand that was nothing easy about the belief we are told he finally exercised in verse 34. In verse 18 Paul exercised a demon from a slave girl. In response, the crowd beat Paul and Silas and threw them in jail (vs. 19-24). In verses 25-27 there was a great earthquake and Paul and Silas were freed. The jailer, facing shame and probable execution, drew his sword to kill himself, only to be stopped by Paul and Silas telling him that they were still there. In verse 29, the jailer came before Paul and Silas trembling with fear. He knew there was something greater here than just the movement of tectonic plates under his feet. This man believed, but he did so with every fiber of his being. It was just not an academic or intellectual exercise.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God looks at people’s hearts.

knowledge may lead one there; rules or laws might lead one there; a simpleton may stumble upon it as well.

God honors a pure contrite heart lifted up to him in faithful trust

Rob

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There are people who "believe in vain"
    1cor15;
    1 Corinthians 15 King James Version (KJV)
    15 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

A mere Human trust is a work of the flesh.
    God-given faith results in deliverance from the reigning power of sin.

Moving away from confessional churches and preaching has resulted in a numbers driven emotional push to get people to assent to an intellectual proposition to join up with our group rather than repent and believe.

2cor7;

6 Nevertheless God, that comforteth those that are cast down, comforted us by the coming of Titus;

7 And not by his coming only, but by the consolation wherewith he was comforted in you, when he told us your earnest desire, your mourning, your fervent mind toward me; so that I rejoiced the more.

8 For though I made you sorry with a letter, I do not repent, though I did repent: for I perceive that the same epistle hath made you sorry, though it were but for a season.

9 Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.

10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

11 For behold this selfsame thing, that ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness it wrought in you, yea, what clearing of yourselves, yea, what indignation, yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge! In all things ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting, who believes this?

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One can believe the truth of the gospel of grace until one is blue in the face, and unless God at His word gives one the new birth, one is going to loose one's name out of the book of life. (1 John 5:4; Revelation 3:5; Revelation 20:15) - John 1:12-13. (Titus 1:2)

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Only Christ is sufficient for salvation. I suppose God may use intellectual or emotional appeals. But in the end neither alone is sufficient for salvation.

I think that evidence of this is the presence of ungodly "Christians" who may have a good theological understandings but their spirit indicates a lack of Christ. People confuse "spiritual truth" with knowledge when Scripture (I believe) is very clear that spiritual truth and spiritual growth is related to Christ in us and our conformity to His image (rather than acceptance of this or that theology).

13. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No.

14. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God saves those who believes and repents. He does not saves those who are putting on an act. Believing is deeper than just knowing the truth. Believing is placing trust in the one you believe in.
    MB

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You seem to make salvation into faith plus works - repentance. Biblical repentance precedes faith, Mark 1:15.

16. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Repentance is not a work. Jesus in fact preached it.

17. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    true but neither is a work;
    You said;.
    I understand that if I believe, God will save me. You're saying a believer can loose His Salvation. This is not true. Why would God not save a person when he believes? A person cannot believe with out trust. In fact they both mean the same thing. So your saying a person believes and trust in Christ and looses his Salvation?. Maybe you should have another cup of coffee I think you're still asleep. You see trusting and believing in Christ is more than just knowing who He claims to be. It's believing and trusting in Him that He will save us. It's His will to save us already. We don't have to convince Him to save us. He has already decided to do just that, the moment we trust in Him.
    MB

18. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Easy believe ism would have to be Calvinism it's self..They claim they are saved first in order to believe. Now this is truly easy believe ism.. They don't have to believe to be saved. In fact they claim they don't have to do anything. Afterwards is when the works of the whole process begins.
    MB

19. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Biblical repentance is a gift, ". . . if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; . . ." -- 2 Timothy 2:25.

20. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never said those who are saved can loose salvation. The word of God teaches no such thing. Repentance (changing one's mind) precedes faith. God gives salvation though faith. Faith does not cause the salvation, God does.

• Agree Agree x 1