1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Interpretive Dance in church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by abcgrad94, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

As mentioned earlier, I'm not a big fan of interpretative dance, in general. I guess that's in part because some of what I've seen left a lot to be desired. Production quality low, did not convey the "message", etc.

That said, if done well, I don't bet, I know I'd be able to identify which one would be considered to be an act of worship. The one in the link above is a good example. In dance, it tells the story of the fall from grace, temptations of sin, hitting rock bottom, fighting back, and with the Lord's help being pulled from the brink of destruction. The glory is given to God as man can't do it alone.

"What are they interpreting and how is the audience to know?"

Usually there's some indicator. Perhaps, just the name of the performance. Sometimes it's the music title or the lyrics. And/or the program may have a discriptive statement. Then, the movements, themselves, tell the story, too. Leap for joy or leap in fear. Bow in worship or bow in dispair. A skilled dancer can protray these differences and more.

2 Samuel 6: KJB
    14 And David danced before the Lord with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod.

Psalm 30: KJB
    11 Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing: thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness;
    12 To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever.

The most beautiful hymn that you've ever heard can be turned into a mockery of God. It's all about what a skilled performer intends to convey, whether good or evil. The premise for dance is similar. As with a singer, dress, music, rendition style, subject matter can either glorify God or the sins of the world.

2. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Alive in Christ and Annsni:

I'll bet neither one of you could tell a Christian interpretative dance from a New Age interpretative dance unless the dancer told you which is which. And again, I'm not beiing critical. Annsni, I seem to remember you putting up a video of one of your girls a couple of years ago. She was excellent, and I'm sure this was an act of worship for her but is it really an act of worship for her audience?

This is an afterthought: Why don't you ever see men doing these dances?

#22 Zenas, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2012
  3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think for some it is, some it isn't. But ANYTHING we do in worship can be the same thing. I could just sit and sing a song one Sunday but the next Sunday, that song will bring me to my knees in worship to God. I think some things just never will be and other things CAN be - but not always for everyone. Heck, how many even come to the Lord's Table with "remembering" what they are doing after the service instead of focusing on the sacrifice of Christ?

4. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't doubt that we can worship God privately through dance. My question is, do we see dance recorded as an act of worship in the church? Do we have a scriptural basis for it? Do we see men and women dancing in mixed company? What scriptural guidelines do we have for it?

The Bible tells us the Israelite women danced together. David danced "before the Lord" in a victory dance after battle. But, so far I've not seen a scriptural basis for anything else.

I like to sew and can use that talent to worship God, but I'm not instructed to do it as an act of worship in the church. If I made choir robes or baby quilts for the church nursery or curtains for the church kitchen, that would be a great thing, BUT having others watch me do such in church wouldn't really be an act of worship for the congregation.

Please note, I'm not saying interpretive dance is right or wrong. I'm just wondering if some of the things we add to "worship" in the church are actually biblical/ historically based or if we are losing sight of what true worship really is.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I was just going to post this exact one! Brings a tear to my eye each time I see it...because that was ME!

This is proof enough for me that choregraphed dance most definitely has its place in worship!

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I guess it's powerful to those to whom it's powerful. I'm pretty dense, and it didn't do a thing for me. I understand that it's supposed to be worshipful, but I just didn't see it.

7. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Oh YEAH!... That will get it done for sure.

Boy. That was really good. It brought a tear to my eye at the end. :thumbs:

8. Alive in Christ

Posted by Webdog...

Oh YEAH!... That will get it done for sure.

Boy. That was really good. It brought a tear to my eye at the end.quote. :thumbs:

#28 Alive in Christ, Sep 20, 2012
  9. Alive in Christ

Posed by Webdog

YEAH!... That will get it done for sure!

Boy. That was really good. It brought a tear to my eye at the end. :thumbs:

#29 Alive in Christ, Sep 20, 2012
  10. Alive in Christ

Well, I have tried to get rid of all these duplicate posts.

The more I try the worse it gets so phooey! A mod can deal with it if he wants to.

Ive had it :BangHead:

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Do mean you didn't understand it, or you were never at that point in life? If the latter...praise God!

12. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

Perhaps this thread should be renamed "Should We Judge the Heartfelt Worship of God by Other Believers Just Because We Do Not Understand It or Cannot Relate To It?" Too long? Maybe, but it does make my point.

#32 michael-acts17:11, Sep 20, 2012
  13. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's what Reformed Baptist Seminary's dean says:

http://blog.rbseminary.org/2011/09/...-turn-up-the-volume-of-congregational-praise/

14. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Did you watch the dance that was linked earlier in this thread?

15. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

"Do we have a scriptural basis for it? Do we see men and women dancing in mixed company? What scriptural guidelines do we have for it?"

2 Samuel 6: KJB

If I understand correctly, when 30 thousand men were gathered, women were also present, as someone had to cook, mend, and do other "household" chores.

5 And David and all the house of Israel played before the Lord on all manner of instruments made of fir wood, even on harps, and on psalteries, and on timbrels, and on cornets, and on cymbals.

Again, if I understand correctly, when the house of is mentioned, it includes all people within that house -- male, female, master, servant -- regardless of gender or status.

14 And David danced before the Lord with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod.
    15 So David and all the house of Israel brought up the ark of the Lord with shouting, and with the sound of the trumpet.

This verse also lends support to the presence of both men and women.

19 And he dealt among all the people, even among the whole multitude of Israel, as well to the women as men, to every one a cake of bread, and a good piece of flesh, and a flagon of wine. So all the people departed every one to his house.

"BUT having others watch me do such in church wouldn't really be an act of worship for the congregation."

Not all of our God-given gifts and talents are suitable for public worship. For example, I can push a mop, pound a nail with a hammer, but can't sing a note. Pushing a mop in the empty Fellowship Hall is still worship when it's done for the glory of God. Thanking Him that this old timer still has the physical ability to serve Him by cleaning a dirty floor.

That said, if swinging a hammer or pushing a paint brush in front of the congregation were to be a part of my testimony to HIM, then, IMO, those would be worship. Part of our worship of our Lord is to give back to Him what He has given us. Some can sing to His glory. Other's can dance to His glory. Some can use their hair to dry His feet.

"I'm just wondering if some of the things we add to "worship" in the church are actually biblical/ historically based or if we are losing sight of what true worship really is."

IMO, we only lose sight of what true worship "really is" is when we don't put our Lord first in all we say and do. Worship is to humble ourselves to Him. Worship is to praise Him, and not to glorify ourselves. A man with a wonderful voice sings the old traditional hymns that is said by many to be an appropriate way to worship our Lord before the congregation. That's true. However, if his chest is stuck out in pride of his accomplishment when he leaves the microphone has he lost sight of what true worship really is?

16. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Should we not say this is instead that the scriptural references in psalms and examples of practice among God's people are proof enough...and this is simply another example?

17. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, Oldtimer. Well said.

18. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    So far this discussion has been pretty much what "I" think or like.

What the New Testament says about dancing in church... nothing. Why? Because it is not part of NT worship. The only dancing that occurs in the NT other than being mentioned in a parable is this: But when Herod's birthday was celebrated, the daughter of Herodias danced before them and pleased Herod.
    There is no such thing as a "worship" team, a "worship" pastor, or for that matter a "pastor" that only ministers to a certain demographic, age or gender group. There is no such thing as children's church, Sunday School, etc. These are all modern, social inventions. Most of which have entered in the last 200 years. Jesus didn't separate children from adults when teaching either.

I desire therefore that the men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting; in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing, but, which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works. Let a woman learn in silence with all submission. And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. Nevertheless she will be saved in childbearing if they continue in faith, love, and holiness, with self-control.

Pretty clear women didn't participate in the leadership or teaching of the church, except for what is mentioned in the last paragraph below. This would include the leading of corporate singing.

Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is. And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord, giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, submitting to one another in the fear of God.

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

But as for you, speak the things which are proper for sound doctrine: that the older men be sober, reverent, temperate, sound in faith, in love, in patience; the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things- that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed.

19. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is the definition of how we are to worship as well. It is in everything we do.

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

20. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More from the dean of Reformed Baptist Seminary:

http://reformedbaptistfellowship.org/2009/07/24/old-grumpy-and-actually-reformed/#comments