1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Iowa Caucus

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is there someone who can give a quick block of instruction on the Iowa caucus? Is it winner-take-all. How many delegates do each party nominate, ect, ect ect.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]The Democratic Caucus: [/SIZE][/FONT]

1) Participants meet at 7:00 p.m. and elect caucus officers, with the elected chair running the caucus.

2) Information on the presidential candidates is distributed.

3) The process for selecting delegates to the county convention begins no later than 7:30.

4) Supporters divide into groups by candidate. To remain "viable" a candidate must have at least 15 percent of the caucus participants.

5) Supporters of "non-viable" candidates must decide whether to back another candidate or abandon the caucus.

6) Each "viable" candidate may elect delegates to the county convention. The number of precinct delegates is predetermined.

7) Results are compiled by the Iowa Democratic Party in Des Moines.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]The Republican Caucus: [/SIZE][/FONT]

1) Participants meet at 7:00 p.m. and elect caucus officers.

2) Nominations are submitted from the floor for a straw poll, conducted by secret ballot.

3) Representatives are elected for the county Republican central committee.

4) Delegates are elected to the county convention.

5) Resolutions are discussed for the party platform.

6) Statewide results are tabulated by the Iowa Republican Party in Des Moines.

- www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/election/iowa-newhampshire/iowa-procedures.html

So apparently the Democrats elect delegates based on the number of supporters for each candidate meeting the 15% threshold and the Republicans are simply holding a straw poll with the delegates selected unrelated to the candidates' strength in the straw poll.

#2 KenH, Dec 29, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Ken
    I appreciate the info. Based on what you said, I prefer the Dems method.

Question though, I do not understand what you mean when you say that the delegates is predetterminded.

Also, from what I understand, a person could change candidates 2 or 3 times during a caucus?

Salty

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess that the number of delegates is predetermined regardless of how many people show up at each caucus.

It is my understanding that in the Democratic Party caucus there is a lot of shuffling around.

By they way, C-SPAN will be showing a Democratic Party caucus and C-SPAN2 will be showing a Republican Party caucus on Thursday night.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will watch Cspan as soon as I get home from Bible Study:thumbs: