1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Iron sharpens iron.

Discussion in 'Science' started by Travelsong, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

Since we know that the YEC tactic of disputing evolution is based on distorting the evidence from creation I thought it might be a decent idea to have a thread where we address some of the common YEC arguments as a sort of reference sheet. I'm not a technically minded person so when I see a whole lot of math and complicated terminology I can understand how it would appear intimidating to the average layman. Of course we all know it does no good to wear the face of legitimacy if the foundation is a pack of lies.

Anyone care to take a stab at this one?

2. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Well, for one thing, I'm quite sure that the genes for cystic fibrosis weren't involved in the evolution of man or chimpanzee, so what those partiular mutations were don't count!

Every one of us had 5 to 6 random changes in our nucleotides. Why aren't we all dead? Because most of the changes aren't quite as dangerous as the changes that make for cystic fibrosis. Many are in fact of no consequence at all, good or bad.

3. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Simple math and common terminology:

If homosexuality is "in the genes", how do they reproduce?

1-homo + 1-homo = 0 offspring or a genetic dead end.

If the homosexual part of the populace continues to increase, will the population eventually stop reproducing because it is mostly homosexual?
    Maybe we do not need to colonize Mars after all.
    We are stuck on this planet folks. Now what?

Have we considered the condition of the population of Sodom and Gomorrah before they were destroyed? It seems many of them were having an "identity crisis" and were living an "alternative lifestyle". God called such an abomination.

Theistic evolutionists and creationists are in two completely different worlds. They use some of the same terms, but they have not the same definitions which also makes their paradigms so far apart. Until such time as there can be agreement as to infallible revelation, there can really be little discussion. The ground rules have to be established before the game begins.

Selah,

Bro. James

4. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

"Simple math and common terminology:

If homosexuality is "in the genes", how do they reproduce?

1-homo + 1-homo = 0 offspring or a genetic dead end.

If the homosexual part of the populace continues to increase, will the population eventually stop reproducing because it is mostly homosexual?
    "

It is a complex question. Who says that there is a genetic cause to begin with?

To be difficult, I am going to propose a genetic answer myself. Now first off, this is likely one of those situations where a certain gene only changes the percentages just a bit or even where it is a combination of genes in play.

However there is a straight forward answwer to some cases. Genetic recombination swaps genetic material between chromosomes during reproduction. If part of the sex determining region of the gender determining chromosome gets swapped, then you can have a situation where an offspring has both male and female genes mixed together on the sex determining chromosome. This can lead to all sorts of issues, some physical some not. (You're adults, put your minds to work.) But it would be reasonable to assume that mistakes in this process could also be responsible for some of those who claim to be gay. I would also think that this idea, or at least some sort of genetic aspect, is supported by observation of occasional such behavior in animals.

Disclaimer: None of this is to say that everyone who claims to be gay is so because of genes nor to excuse behavior.