1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is a little alcohol alright with the Bible?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by C.S. Murphy, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Bible Student said:

If you have one glass of wine you are under the control of wine.

And if you attribute the deleterious properties of a large amount of alcohol to a small amount of alchohol, you are under the control of sophistry, having committed a form of the Fallacy of Division.

2. Bible Student

Bible Student New Member

Just qouted facts, I am sorry they do not agree with your personal opinion. [​IMG]

3. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Bible Student said:

Just qouted facts

Please do not confuse your quoted facts with the expression of your personal opinion at the end of the list. That is what I responded to.

Second, do not assume that your quoted facts lead logically and necessarily to a moral imperative. They do not.

Third and finally, do not assume that the harmful effects of large amounts of alcohol provides a sufficient condemnation of moderate amounts that do not produce those harmful effects. The fact that a BAC of .50% will kill you does not, in and of itself, prove that one glass of wine is a sin. Only the Bible can establish that, and as we have all seen, it does not.

4. Bible Student

Bible Student New Member

Ransom,

My "opinion" as you put it, is from the study I quoted.

At a BAC of 0.03% (after about one cocktail, one glass of wine, or one bottle of beer), the drinker will feel relaxed and experience a slight feeling of exhilaration.

Both the science and medical community agree that one drink has an effect up on the one who drinks.

I was not defending any position, just stating the fact that I would rather be under the contol of the Holy Spirit than alcohol "spirits", nothing more or nothing less.

I do not see anything unscriptural in that statement.

5. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Bible Student said:

At a BAC of 0.03% (after about one cocktail, one glass of wine, or one bottle of beer), the drinker will feel relaxed and experience a slight feeling of exhilaration.

Great! Maybe that's why God said wine "maketh glad the heart of man" (Psa. 104:15).

6. Optional

Optional New Member

Wonder who Jesus was thinking like at the marriage in Cana and the Last Supper?

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

LISTEN TO ME VERY CAREFULLY!!!!!!

The Bible forbids drunkenness. No one here disputes that.

The Bible does not forbid consumption of alcohol. Some here say that it forbid the consumption of wine. I disagree with that, but let's assume for a moment that's true. If it is, then there's still no ban on other alcoholic beverages. One can therefore consume other alcoholic beverages so long as one does not consume to the point of intoxication.

Now that this is settles, who here wants to go out for a beer? It's on me.

8. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

As the originator of this thread as well as a moderator on this forum I think it is past time to stick a fork in this topic. I fear that the discussion may soon develop into an argument (once again) so I feel it best to let Johnv have the last word. In part because this is a view opposite my own so I can't be accused of getting in the last word. Peace to all.
    Murph