1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is Acts 17:30 only the elect or the entire human race?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by ICHTHUS, Mar 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I believe you are wrong. I have no left or right.

Proverbs 4:27 Turn not to the right hand nor to the left: remove thy foot from evil.

Acts 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

HankD

2. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why do you quote those verses? It seems you're just avoiding reading the Bible and letting it speak for itself.

3. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TCassidy is correct, Calvinists are not monolithic. Like any other group, they come in all flavors. I'm more of a Confessional "Reformed" Baptist. I'm about as close as you can come to being a Reformed Presbyterian while remaining distinctively Baptist. I do believe God ordains all things that come to pass without violating the conscience of the creature. The only thing God does not bring to pass is sin (James 1:13), although He allows it for His purpose. When I encounter a militant anti-Calvinist, I commend them to God and move on. I wasn't always like that. I would stay and argue until I was blue in the face, but it accomplished little. I am always game for scholarly debate, but I've grown weary of the Internet theologians who can't debate their way out of a wet paper bag while carrying a set of scissors.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Must be plastic scissors.
    [​IMG]

5. PrmtvBptst1832

PrmtvBptst1832 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God certainly does bring sin to pass, though he is not the efficient cause. If sin were contrary to the decrees of God, it would not exist.

For of a truth against thy holy child Jesus, whom thou hast anointed, both Herod, and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles, and the people of Israel, were gathered together, For to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done. -Ac. 4.27, 28

6. ICHTHUS

ICHTHUS Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And your Bible justification for such an outrageous remark? Makes no difference what terms you use, IF, as you do, say that "God certainly does bring sin to pass", then you make God the AUTHOR of sin! How else can he "bring sin to pass", if He were not directly involved in its been done? You will NEVER find a single Bible verse to back up what you say, and that is because it is NOT in the Bible. I challenge you to produce ONE text.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  7. ICHTHUS

ICHTHUS Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This verse does NOT mean that God CAUSED Judas to betray Jesus Christ, for this would make God the AUTHOR of this betrayal, and then Judas could not be the guilty party. God did USE what Judas of his OWN FREE WILL had determined to do to Jesus, with the Jewish and Roman authorities. We must be very careful not to make God out to be the AUTHOR or CAUSER of ANY sinful acts.

8. ICHTHUS

ICHTHUS Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Explain the DECREES OF GOD. Has or has not God DECREED ALL THINGS THAT COME TO PASS?

9. ICHTHUS

ICHTHUS Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As you are avoiding the ACTUAL meaning of the passage in Acts 17!

10. PrmtvBptst1832

PrmtvBptst1832 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Ac. 4.27, 28 very clearly teaches that God brings sin to pass through sinful men. The text no where indicates that it was the free will of any man that crucified the Lord of glory. Could Herod, Pontius Pilate, the Gentiles, and the people of Israel have acted otherwise? Where would that leave us today?

Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: -Ac. 2.23

Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me, Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure: -Isa. 46.9, 10

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ICHTHUS

ICHTHUS Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a BIG difference between God ALLOWING something to take place, and DOING something. Are you saying that God CAUSED Judas to betray Jesus? This would make Him the AUTHOR of Judas' actions. Because God KNOWS all things, does NOT mean that He CAUSES all things. There are things that God DOES, and others that He PERMITS. God in His foreknowledge SAW the evil actions of Herod, Pilate, Judas, etc, against Jesus, and USED these for the purpose of His WILL. Otherwise there is the problem that God actually MAKING these do evil against Jesus, and then also punish them for doing something that He instigated?

A good example can be found in the account of king Ahab:

"Then Micaiah said, “Therefore hear the word of the Lord: I saw the Lord sitting on His throne, and all the host of heaven standing by, on His right hand and on His left. And the Lord said, ‘Who will persuade Ahab to go up, that he may fall at Ramoth Gilead?’ So one spoke in this manner, and another spoke in that manner. Then a spirit came forward and stood before the Lord, and said, ‘I will persuade him.’ The Lord said to him, ‘In what way?’ So he said, ‘I will go out and be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets.’ And the Lord said, ‘You shall persuade him, and also prevail. Go out and do so.’ Therefore look! The Lord has put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these prophets of yours, and the Lord has declared disaster against you.” (1 Kings 22:19-23)

Here we read of a spirit that came before the Lord as said that he would be a lying spirit in the mouths of these prophets, who would give false instructions "in the Lord's Name" to go to war and die, so that the purposes of God might be accomplished. Because the Lord ALLOWED this to take place, He did not DO it Himself, as the spirit did it, it could be said, "The Lord has put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these prophets of yours". It is IMPOSSIBLE for God to CAUSE any person to lie, and therefore sin, but PERMIT this to take place as He does use evil deeds to accomplish His ultimate purposes.

12. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, the people who have not been predestined to be saved by God may not repent, right ?
    Or, God just told the people to repent, even if He predestined the Unbelievers not to repent and not to be saved?
    Is this what Calvinists interpret about this verse?

Eliyahu

13. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for your reply. Now...

Of the 800,000,000 C.I. Scofield stated and the 1.3 BILLION the Gideon speaker said in India ALONE have not heard about Jesus Christ, if they died without ever hearing about Him, what comes of them in the day of Judgment?

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK M,

I thought that was what I was doing, let the onlooking readers decide.

Anyway - No problem personally.

HankD

15. ICHTHUS

ICHTHUS Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hank, you are not "avoiding" reading the Bible at all. I have noted that when these guys cannot deal with an argument, or know they are wrong, they will try to side-track us with pointless comments.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  16. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What did the verses mean? How did they apply? I observe the verses and then I look at context to try determine what the author is saying.
    You used verses and then made declarations that don't seem to fit with the text. I would like clarification.

As to ichthus comment, he avoids the context of a passage as though it were a plague. Perhaps he should self-evaluation before he speaks of others.

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In this particular case I thought I was diligent in my determination of the meaning.
    In fact, even a universal call down to the individual human being (as I am sure is the case in Acts 17:30) ought not to be a threat to calvinists, I even gave them the rebuttal.

HankD

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No offense M, but I am willing to give you the last word and let the reader decide.

HankD

19. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of those 800,000,000 Scofield stated and 1.3 BILLION the Gideon stated never heard the gospel, what is their eternal state if they died never hearing the gospel or knew of Jesus' earthly existence?

Not pointless at all. You refuse to answer because you know 8t destroys you pointless stance.

Come on, answer it.

20. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This discussion has turned ad hominem.

HankD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.