1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is all sin the same

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some will say that whether you steal one small candy bar from Wal-Mart - or you rob a bank of a million dollars - to God their is no difference as sin is sin.

Others will say that if you commit a horrendous crime - say extreme abuse of a child - there is a special place in Hell for you.

So do you believe that God differentiates our sin - or is that classification reserved for our limited thinking?

Open for discussion

2. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke 12, "And that servant who knew his master’s will but did not get ready or act according to his will, will receive a severe beating. 48But the one who did not know, and did what deserved a beating, will receive a light beating. Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more."

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes and no. All sin has (1) the same consequence - separation from God resulting in eternal punishment. All sin (2) results specific punishment according to God's perfect justice. Thus in the afterlife some undergo more tolerable suffering than others. Since all our works of righteousness are as filthy rags to God, nothing we can do will pay God back or earn a reprieve.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 10:15, "Truly, I say to you, it will be more bearable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah than for that town"

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    James 2:10 [NASB] "For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one [point,] he has become guilty of all."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 5:21-22 [NKJV] "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.' "But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, 'Raca!' shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, 'You fool!' shall be in danger of hell fire.

Matthew 5:27-30 [NKJV] "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not commit adultery.' "But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. "If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast [it] from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell. "And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and cast [it] from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes and no.

All sin is sin.
    All sin is fatal.
    All punishment is not equal.

That is what I read in scripture.

(However, the cure for sin always remains the same ... the Love of God that offers unmerited forgiveness and rebirth.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In earth, yes.

In hell, judgment is upon one as corrupt, and God does not look upon one sinner in hell with less indignation than the next one. Neither do the Redeemed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    have you read # 2 and 4?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. You just post the typical carnal notions of those passages, forgetting that in the end the unredeemed are cast into the very torment reserved for the Devil.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God is omnipresent. As to the death of a soul God says, "For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord GOD: . . ." -- Ezekiel 18:32 [Ezekiel 18:4]
    And it is written, ". . . shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb: . . ." -- Revelstion 14:10 [James 5:20] See also Matthew 10:28 and Mark 9:48.

12. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    " Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
    14 but every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
    15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death."
    ( James 1:13-15 )

All sin brings death.
    To God there is no difference, and no such thing as "mortal" and "venial" sins.

" For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one [point], he is guilty of all.
    11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law."
    ( James 2:10-11 ).

To God it's all the same and carries the same punishment.
    @atpollard has already listed this.

Are there greater sins that God is more offended by?

" Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power [at all] against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin." ( John 19:11 ).
    Luke 12:42-48 come to mind, as does Matthew 11:20-24.
    Also Hebrews 10:28-29, 2 Peter 2:20-22.

• Like Like x 1
  13. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would hate to tell the family of a murdered man, "Well the murder was bad, but you told a white lie three days ago, and that was just as bad." Or to put it another way, "Yes, Hitler killed 6 million people, but you stole a bubble gum from the candy store, so you are just as bad." Sins are not all the same. The Bible is plain in many places on that (OT law punishments, Christ's teaching about the unpardonable sin, etc.).

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am sure you have a point, but I am also sure you were afraid to present it with clarity. Did you imply sin does not cause a separation from God because God is omnipresent? Who knows?

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Christ mentioned greater sin and greater condemnation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Scripture More Accurately

Scripture More Accurately Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Proverbs 21:27 The sacrifice of the wicked is abomination: how much more, when he bringeth it with a wicked mind?

The second part of this verse shows that when a wicked person offers a sacrifice with a wicked mind (intent), what he does is much more of an abomination to God.

All sins are not the same in that respect. Sins done in ignorance and without wicked intent are not as abominable to God as the same sins done knowingly while having a wicked intent.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  17. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God Himself stated that first degree murder is a capital sin crime, and that sexual sinning is also a separate category, as is idolatry!

18. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The idea that sin is "separation from God" is an interpetation, Isaiah 59:2, ". . . But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear. . . ." Which is from God in this life. And Romans 3:23 from God's glory. Psalms 139:7-8, ". . . Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell [Sheol], behold, thou art there. . . ."

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree completely with your interpretation. The separation is spiritual, not physical.

20. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not understanding your view. I agree death is a separation - from life. God is the source of life. There is a separation from the life from God. Both the body and soul die in the eternal torment. What does not die is what are called the persons who perish worm (not worms). Christ on the cross Psalms 22:6, "I am a worm . . . ." The lost, Mark 9:48, "Their worm does not die." So the torment does not end.