1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Calvinism's "Total Inability" and Biblical Hardening Compatible?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Yea Winman! You either play by Luke's rules or he will punish you. He will ignore you!

I guess this is easier for him to do this rather than admit he has no answer for the verses you posted.

2. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Actually Luke2427's reply to winman is correct, winmans pasted verses don't prove a thing, as usual.

3. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

As I explained to you several times, it's also about the INTENT of the one saying "God did it," which is in question and can only be determined when pressed in a discussion or through a direct quote responding to that specific question. As I explained, though we know Satan did the afflicting, Job still addressed God as the afflicter. Even you affirm the use of second/third causes Luke, but you are not careful to employe such explanations when asked. I suspect a scholar such as Ware would be. Knowing a little about Monlina's view of middle knowledge I can guess what Dr. Ware's response might be if asked about what he specifically MEANT by his comment and the origin of Satan's evil intent. Can you?

You conceded that Dr. Ware was an infralapsarian, 4 point Calvinist that supports a concept of Monlina's view of "middle knowledge." What do you think those particular views answer if not the concepts of evil's origin, predestination and Christ's atonement?

As I've said, you've never struck me as one who might support that more philosophical middle ground between Arm and Cals, but that appears to be Ware's camp, though since I haven't read any of his stuff I can't be sure. I'd love to see his actual written quotes on some of these subjects.

Careful, P4T might report you to the admins for using such strong language. ;)

Let's see, which time were you arguing for the mainstream classical view?

1. The time you appealed to mystery as it being impossible to know where Satan's evil intent originated?

or

2. The time you argued that evil, like darkness, doesn't exist and thus dismiss any need to explain the origin of the intent to do evil.

or

3. The time you argued that for God to do "IT" (IT being to originate the intent) is not really evil because He is doing it for a good motive.

or

4. The time you claimed to agree with Edwards and the Arminian divines that God did not hinder the evil, but permitted it for his purpose so that it would certainly come to pass.

or

5. The time you said you agreed with a scholar who supports the compatabilistic framework of a Monlinistic view of middle knowledge. (and just so happens to deny Limited Atonement)

Which one is the mainstream view exactly?

:confused:

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Alright, suppose I agree with your order and process. (I don't, but that is another argument). I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for this argument.

What is the minimum and maximum time limit for this to take place.
    For example, it seems that the people on the Day of Pentecost heard the Word on that day, were convicted on that day and were saved on that day--all during the space of the time it took Peter to preach one sermon. Agreed?

But with Cornelius was the time much greater, and also Lydia?

Can regeneration take place as long as a month before salvation?

What is the maximum time length for this process to occur?

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I don't have to guess. I put his very words up for you and the whole world to see.

He said exactly, not evenjust similarly, listen to it... E X A C T L Y what I said about it.

This is the fact that you will not face.

I quoted Ware's own words numerous times saying, listen to it again and see if you can get it this time

E X A C T L Y

what I said.

Those E X A C T same words are the ones that you claimed were outside the mainstream.

As I have said repeatedly, I don't agree with Ware about everything. But oddly enough I disagree with him concerning those points on which HE is outside the mainstream of Calvinism.

This does not help your case.

But on compatabalism, a point in which he is most certainly NOT outside the mainstream- he and I are of one mind.

In fact we say the... wait for it...

E X A C T

same WORDS concerning the matter.

Yes.

Most ASSUREDLY.

This is none other than Augustine's position. It is the oldest known Christian theodicy.
    Once again E X A C T L Y as Bruce Ware said it.

So, yes, you are steadily proving that you are not as educated on Calvinism as you want people to think.

Yes, but not by bare permission but by- now watch this- what's coming next is the very thing that causes you to tuck your tail and run and deflect like crazy-

by permission but not by JUST bare permission but by his own divine- here it is- PURPOSES.

God permits it and- listen to it now and you will learn something about mainstream historic Calvinism- PURPOSES IT.

Yes.

Yes, and this is your problem.

This confusion is the very REASON you are an Arminian.

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

There is no biblical time set.

We know that it can take QUITE a while.

One plants and by and by- could be years later, another waters- and by and by- could be YEARS later- God gives the increase.

This is a process.

God can do it in a flash or God can do it over a period of years.

Your Acts 2 passage does not work because these people had the Word of God and it was for THIS VERY REASON that they were AT PENTECOST- TO WORSHIP.

These people could have been awakened spiritually LONG before they heard the words of Peter whereby they were saved.

You don't know, and I don't know.

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Did YOU of all people just complain about someone being an over zealous post policeman?????????????????????????????????????

Talk about the pot and the kettle !!!!

You are the most reprimanding person in the history of BAPTISTBOARD!

Do you even HAVE a mirror in your life???

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It's my position that regeneration and salvation must take place at the same time. In your process the working of the Holy Spirit and the hearing of the Word of God can take place for years before that. But if regeneration doesn't take place at the same time one runs into theological problems. What happens if the person dies between being regenerated and salvation?

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

If such a thing were possible, he would go to hell.

Whether or not such a thing is possible is a debate for another topic.

Regardless, surely you cannot deny that often it is the case that one plants and another waters, etc... and that this is a PROCESS.

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

To my knowledge the Calvinist says that regeneration = new birth.
    How can a person who is born again go to hell?
    How can someone who has been regenerated go to hell?
    As I said the two processes must take place simultaneously.

11. Skandelon

I took his words head on and you have left them unanswered under the guise of being 'too offended' by my accusation that you sometimes overstep the mainstream Calvinistic view...something even other Calvinists here have pointed out both publicly and privately. Revealing.
    And I didn't deny that. I replied to it but you keep saying the same thing over and over as if that addresses my argument. Revealing.

Do you know what 'middle knowledge' is and what it is attempting to explain? Study up on that and it may help to see why I find it humorous you are hiding behind Ware on our discussion regarding the origin of evil.
    :laugh: You do realize that we both read the EXACT same words in scripture yet walk away with differing view, right? Just checking, because infantile statements such as this make me wonder. I think his admitted Molinistic views might actually point to his intent in using those words. Now, if we can only nail you down to your intent. ;)
    That was meant to explain the condition in which evil acts and intents may originate, it doesn't answer the question as to who originated the intent and how. Unless of course you affirm that something (the intent to do evil) originated from nothing.

I've NEVER claimed 'bare permission,' nor does Arminius or the Arminian divines, who've I've quoted to you numerous times. And I've affirmed dozens of times that God permits evil for his Purposes....as did Edwards in the notorious quote you provided. I also affirmed that God permitted evil so that it would certainly come to pass and disposed the events thereunto....as is consistent with Arminianism. I've provided definition after definition explaining the various terms and their possible meanings.

You NEVER appear willing to in any way separate or distinguish God's positive agency in bringing about events such as the redemption of mankind on calvary and events such as Dahmer crimes. That is the problem I address with your view and that expressed by Ware in the clip you provided...you know the one you have ignored?

12. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

They can't if being "born again" means what you think it means.

You think it IS salvation- it is the whole of it. You base this on a viewpoint that is very new so far as church history is concerned but old enough for you to have been raised hearing it. So you cannot see being "born again" as anything other than the WHOLE of salvation.

Until you are willing to personally submit that idea to scrutiny you will not see it.

But, btw, no one is saying that a born again person CAN go to hell. If God regenerates a person to the point of the new birth then God finishes that work and saves them eternally. During that time period there is no force in earth or hell that could kill this person. God has determined to save them and they cannot die until God has saved them.

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This was the answer I was anticipating from the beginning. :)
    It would fit in more with the doctrine of election.

14. Skandelon

It was more of an inside joke for P4T. When being called out for his many personal attacks the only one he could produce from me was that I called his post "blatantly false."

You both tend to get a little personal in your discussions.

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I have never seen someone who deflects as much as you do.

The fact of the matter is that six months ago I said, "God DID IT".

You said that's outside the mainstream.

I proved it is not.

You lose. Whether you are too prideful to admit that or not is irrelevant.

Facts are facts.

Yes, I do know what Molinistic Middle Knowledge is.

And if I was totally IGNORANT on the matter I would STILL know more about than you know about Calvinism.

Something you keep making clear over and over again.

"infantile?"

Do you not think that is insulting? I don't care, mind you, but you forfeit your right ethically to be Mister BB policeman when you are snotty and insulting and breaking the same rules you burden others with.

His molinism has nothing to do with the fact that he is a thorough compatabilist.

This is your problem Skandelon.

I bet in your mind you have NEVER lost a debate in your whole life.

Not on anything that matters at all to you.

And I'll tell you why I say that. You can take EXTRAORDINARILY CLEAR words that refute your position. like the words of Ware and Edwards and spin them, only to your own satisfaction, to sound like they support YOU.

But the only ones you are fooling are the blind few and yourself.

NOBODY with half a brain could watch that clip of Ware and say that his view is different from mine on compatabilism.

Yet you do. But for you, it is not that you don't have half a brain- it is that you subconsciously cannot bear to lose or think that your position has been decimated.

But it has. Denial may help you deal with it- but it doesn't change the facts about it.

But what you lack the courage to do is admit the reverse- that God purposes all the evil that ever exists to exist.

What you lack the courage to confirm is that God purposes that men not get saved and that those men go to hell.

You are in a catch 22 on this matter.

You know on the one hand that if you say that God did not purpose for billions to be saved and that God did NOT purpose that they go to hell- then you undermine the eternal purposes of God and purport that God's eternal purposes can be thwarted.

On the other hand, you know if you admit that God purposes that men not get saved and that those men go to hell then you will reveal to those without a theology that you are DIAMETRICALLY opposed to their way of thinking.

You don't want to face the isolation so you deflect. It is what you do the most of anyone I have ever seen.

16. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I find you incorrigible and this comment infantile.

And that's just what I have seen you use in the last five minutes.

And the worst I have EVER seen is your dishonest brackets.

That was the most dishonest thing I have seen on bb- ever.

So I think, once again, the best investment you could make at this point in your life is a mirror- or maybe a beam remover for your own eye.

If you want us not to be personal- then lead the way.

17. Skandelon

You can address comments and views as being "infantile" without personally attacking an individual (i.e. "you are a liar" "you are a baby" etc)

And to call someone "incapable of being corrected" when countless attempts to correct them has been fruitless is more of an observation than an attack. But point taken. I'll try to be even LESS abrasive.

As explained numerous times, brackets like those [] are commonly used to reference the topic. You know full well that the topic of IT was DEEDs seen as being "EVIL" (as Dahmer's crimes and what you called the greatest "EVIL" to ever take place..."the cross" were being compared) And I DID include your caveat regarding how when God does "IT" for the right motive, then "IT is not evil," so lets not go there AGAIN.

See, now that is personal...

I'm trying. How many times have I referred you to the arguments about the issues raised in Ware's video clip when you keep going back to this act of being so overly offended to continue because I've called you out for overstepping mainstream Calvinistic views...as if most people hear don't know that already.

Did you even refer to yourself as a "high Calvinist" at one point? Even that admission proves at least your tendency to go beyond what some Calvinists like MacArthur might argue, right? Can't we at least acknowledge that much?

18. Skandelon

It was more that that Luke. I've explained that one can say that God killed Job's kids but really mean that he permitted Satan to kill them, but just not say that clearly. We only really know when we press them on their intent.

In our discussion we originally talked about Dahmer's intent to do evil, remember? You argued that if God would kill his own Son, which is a MUCH greater evil than Dahmer's crimes then that would somehow prove God's active determination of both of these events "in like manner." I address that conclusion and you have yet to answer it.

I'll keep reminding you of that fact until you do. Here it is again:

Oh, and when did we vote a Molinistic four point Calvinistic compatiblist to be the representative for all mainstream Calvinistic scholars? :laugh:

19. preacher4truth

No need for your pejoratives. You get quite personal and seem angry often.

Also, its not true that that was all I could produce. You produce enough on yourself. And unlike yourself I don't follow you around and dogg yours steps with all of them.

Always bringing up the past, slandering me again Skan? Who is that akin to?

20. preacher4truth

Amen.

Amazing how he attempts to contrue himself differently in his own mind, all the while slandering me, with his personal attacks, while calling it a joke?

Like a madman who throws Firebrands, arrows and death, So is the man who deceives his neighbor, And says, "Was I not joking?" Proverbs 26:18-19