1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Chick Publications Baptist?

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by SaggyWoman, May 16, 2005.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

You make the call.

2. Liz Ward

Liz Ward New Member

My money would be on Bible Chapel (open brethren).

Liz

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As far as I know, Mr. Chick has not formally declared his "denomination". Considering the plethora of Baptists, I would not be surprised if he took on the adjective. However, the Chick operation is based in Southern California. So, I can say Mr. Chick has not identified himself with anybody I am affiliated with.

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been unable to find anything concrete.

Chick mentions two people who were important in his career. He was converted while listening to radio evangelist Charles Fuller, who originally was Prebyterian but later was ordained a Baptist, though his Calvary Church apparently remained independent. (It has now joined with the Evangelical Free Church.)

The other influence was Charles Finney, who also was influential far beyond his own denomination.

5. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I truly hope not.

6. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

Chick is a charismatic, I would say he is kjvo-charismatic. I haven't seen anything to point to or away from eternal security, but he is definitely charismatic.

7. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've never seen any indication that he's charismatic. KJVO, definitely, but not charismatic.

On his Web site, Chick writes this, in connection with a book by former priest Charles Chiniquy (whose writings suggested Lincoln's assassination stemmed from a Jesuit plot):

(Emphases added by poster)

8. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

Yeah but then you read the tracts about Alberto and other tracts and you see he does seem to believe that speaking in tongues exists in the biblical sense today. He falls somewhere in between Baptist and Pentecostal.

9. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't see it. In Alberto, which I went back and read (the sacrifices I make for this board), he says "Our masterpiece is the Third Force which is the Charismatic movement! This is the bridge to Rome. Those Protestants have accepted us with open arms."

This is how Chick typically talks about charismatics, and tongues are nowhere mentioned in his statement of faith, which many a Baptist church could endorse.

10. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

I thought I recalled one instance where he did say something about speaking in tongues in a positive light. I think once he did tell a story (Alberto, I think) where some folks were vomiting and speaking in tongues?? Cant recall.
    Anyway, when I say charismatic, I meant glossolaliast which I consider the same.

11. mioque

mioque New Member

I feel your pain. [​IMG]

12. Liz Ward

Liz Ward New Member

Chick a Charismatic??!! No way!

Liz

13. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From his KJVO tracts, he seems to have drawn some influence from Ruckman and Riplinger, but all in all, he follows the main KJVO "party line" of Wilkinson/Ray/Fuller. Same garbage, different dumpster.

While some of his tracts have led many to Christ, he has polluted himself with his KJVO myth.

14. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Roby...I love ya brother but ya gotta get off that anti-KJVO hobbyhorse you seem to ride.The KJV IS God's Word...whether you accept it as the only good english speaking translation ...OR NOT.You can't lead people wrong by pointing them towards a King James Bible.It IS the Word of God while many of the other "versions" are questionable...as well as the "textual criticism" that undergirds them.That is just my opinion.However,Jack Chicks tracts are faithful to the Word of God and have for years offered an eyecatching compelling message of hope to a lost and dying world.They GRAB attention and they deliver a compelling message and as such are very useful tools to reach the lost.Is JTC right about everything...no..probably not...but then,thank God he uses the weak things of this world to confound the mighty(and occasionally the "educated").By the way...I'm NOT a ruckmanite.I just stick with my KJV without questions,doubts,or any need to correct it.It works for me(and in me).God Bless you.NOW go get ya some chick tracts and pass'em out!

Greg Sr.

15. Nord

Nord New Member

I certainly hope Chick is not Baptist. We could not pass his literature out in the army because it was considered hate literature (so I was told by a Southern Baptist Chaplain).

I have seen his comics and they are amusing but unfortunately there are folks who go beyond seeing them as amusing but as if they were Systematic Theology texts. On top of that some of them are pure rubbish. That priest comic book expose (can't remember the name-Alberto???) was debunked by a Protestant Evangelical (link is on another board). Apparently the ex priest mentioned in it who "exposes" the Catholic church is of highly questionable character and integrity and much of what he talks about is in doubt.

To me Chick just feeds on anti catholic/jewish bigotry. It confirms people's prejudices the same way the third Reich propoganda fed peoples fears of Jews with supposed facts, charactures, etc. His comic books are anti-intellectual, equivalent of True Crime/Love magazines. Let me not mince words, they are amusing but many of his comics are highly ignorant mush and they appeal to the ignorant.

If we want to reach out with the message of the gospel of Christ we can do so without that kind of sensational, distorted, garbage. Chick literature makes Harold Camping look like a highly orthodox theological Genius....and that is not a good thing.

North

16. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

Some of Chick's tracts are good. Some of them I would not hand out to others. I always felt that his tracts were more likely to be read by initially uninterested folks than any other tracts.
    I dont know how much of the Alberto story is true, but I do know that some of the points made do make sense.

I would prefer a tract with a little more time spent on explaining salvation and so forth,... just too thin in that area.

tim

17. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gregory Perry, Sr.: Roby...I love ya brother but ya gotta get off that anti-KJVO hobbyhorse you seem to ride.

You mean I should start telling lies and abandon the truth for the sake of a man-made doctrine?

The KJV IS God's Word...whether you accept it as the only good english speaking translation ...OR NOT.

It is, and I don't.

You can't lead people wrong by pointing them towards a King James Bible.

But you lead'em wrong every time ya point'em to the KJVO MYTH.

It IS the Word of God while many of the other "versions" are questionable...as well as the "textual criticism" that undergirds them.That is just my opinion.

Which you CANNOT justify with EVIDENCE.

However,Jack Chicks tracts are faithful to the Word of God and have for years offered an eyecatching compelling message of hope to a lost and dying world.They GRAB attention and they deliver a compelling message and as such are very useful tools to reach the lost.

Trouble is, they aint always telling the TRUTH.

Is JTC right about everything...no..probably not...but then,thank God he uses the weak things of this world to confound the mighty(and occasionally the "educated").

He seems to believe the devil will run hell..NOT IN SCRIPTURE! He seems to believe the KJVO myth...NOT IN SCRIPTURE! His tract, "The Attack", is as error-filled as Dr. Wilkinson's original KJVO book.

His tract, "This Was Your Life" has led countless people to Jesus. OTOH, "The Attack" has prolly led NO ONE to Christ, and has perhaps kept some away by causing them to doubt their Bibles.

By the way...I'm NOT a ruckmanite.I just stick with my KJV without questions,doubts,or any need to correct it.

But you have no qualms about trying to "correct" anyone who doesn't believe that KJVO trash, eh?

It works for me(and in me).God Bless you.NOW go get ya some chick tracts and pass'em out!

I HAVE....and I've been SELECTIVE about WHICH ONES. Now, while continuing to use the KJV, please find something WITHIN it that justifies the false doctrine built around it by MEN.

No, Chick aint no Baptist. But I think he's SAVED. We should pray that God rid his heart of all FALSE DOCTRINES.......

18. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Roby...I'm not gonna argue with you...it really is pointless....and we are poles apart on what we believe about the Word of God and always will be.My convictions about the KJV thing are as honestly and sincerely held as yours are....and I live in Greenville SC where they champion your side of the argument just up the road at BJU.The dean of students there led me to the Lord back in 1977 and then tried to convince me that THAT was what I should follow after.Some of those kids over there are so confused they don't have any idea what their real source of authority is....so they just follow after whatever the school pumps into their fertile minds.That same thing happens at Bible colleges all over our land whether they are KJVO or otherwise....people "check" their brains at the door and lose much if not ALL of their objectivity when Dr.so an so or Professor such and such steps to the front of the class and starts talking.I don't have a college education and don't believe the Lord ever called me to get one....instead I just prayed and studied and asked God to lead me by His Spirit and show me what HE wanted me to believe.I believe He did just that....and I don't have to go looking for multiple sources of sometimes conflicting authority for my marching orders from our Lord.I have one Book...the KJV(any edition),one Lord,and one glorious Blessed Hope of my Saviour appearing to take me home.If you feel you need to read and study more than one translation or version to ascertain the truth then God Bless You....just go right ahead....I have no problem with that.I just don't feel the same need and I certainly don't trust the credentials or the scholarship of "modern" textual criticism as I understand it.For your information the sources I do trust are people like D.A.Waite,Burgon,Fuller and well studied men like David Cloud.I will continue to rest upon the scholarship and findings of these great men of God.I'm completely at peace about that so I'll NOT argue the point with you or anyone else on this or any other board.I read,use,and study ONLY from the KJV and when I witness and pass out tracts I ONLY quote the KJV and pass out tracts that have that as their scriptural basis.That doesn't make me more spiritual that you or anybody else.It only makes me faithful to my own convictions about the matter...enough said on that.
    Now...as to the original intent of this thread...Chick Tracts....I actually agree with you on one thing.Some of JTC's tracts are good....and some of them aren't so good.But like many people,I read everyone I get my hands on and as far as their use...I use the ones that I think are best.Have a nice day.

Greg Sr.

19. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread will not degenerate into a debate on KJVO. There is a forum for that.

As to the Chick's work ... it is so full of distortions and conspiracy theories I would not recommend any of them.

20. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right, RSR...but I have PROVEN the KJVO doctrine to be FALSE, and that's that.

Back to Chick...I realize he has a strong anti RCC bias, believing that it's all one big anti-earth plot, and I believe likewise about the Mor(m) ons, Jehovah False Witnesses, & 7th Daze Admittests...but I believe that if a RCC member believes in JESUS CHRIST AS SAVIOR AND LORD, he/she is saved. They may not be piling up "treasure in heaven" for themselves, but if they believe, according to Scripture, are they not saved?

Yeah, I fully realize the RCC is as full of man-made rituals, ceremonies, false doctrines,and chants as any religion there's ever been, and I'm against every one of'em, but that doesn't exclude INDIVIDUALS from salvation.

I haven't read all of Chick's comix and tracts. What conspiracy theories am I missing?