1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Christian television truly Christian?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Boanerges, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Fox News, called by Sky Channel. Hardly family friendly.

BTW, I love Fox News Channel.

Call me a sentimentalist sap, but my favorite movies to watch over and over are The Sting, Dave, and King Ralph. (caveat: some mild language).

2. eloidalmanutha

eloidalmanutha New Member

[​IMG]

to answer the OP - NO, christian TV is a mess - after 5 pages I think we have proven it conclusively - which includes TBN, John, just so you know where I stand :D

[ February 15, 2006, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: eloidalmanutha ]

3. standingfirminChrist

There are many stations that claimed to be Christian when they opened.

TBN claimed so,
    WTKK out of Manassas Virginia claimed to be 'all christian'
    CBN claimed to be christian
    Insp claims to be christian.
    Kidz TV claims to be christian.

Do a search, there are many out there.

And yet, they show many programs that do not portray Christ at all. Oh, they do have many programs with good morals, but good morals without teaching Christ are just an example of man's righteousness, filthy in the Lord's eyes.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I dunno. The problem with shows of the 50's and was that they simply weren't real. But the cold war attitude of the 50's fostered a desire to escape realism. By the 60's though, that unrealism was seen as ridiculous. But the problems of the 60's still left people with a need to escape. Hence, we got sitcoms like I dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, Gilligan's Island, And, my personal favorite, Hogan's Heroes; plus shows like the Twighlight Zone. All shows where people were in situations that were real problems, but their attempts to deal with those problems were done through humor or suspense. By the 70's that changed again, and those shows were replaced by shows like the Brady Bunch, Partridge Family, All in the Family, and, as mentioned, M*A*S*H (the Bradys and the Bunkers were churchgoers). Again, shows that, to some extent, dealth with serious issues, using humor as the mode. The 80's were an era of mostly action adventure shows. But by that time, the sitcoms became more realistic. The Cosby Show and Family Ties were the most popular (the Hustables were, btw, a church-going family). Yet spiritual issues weren't really dealt with until shows of the late 80's and 90's, such as Highway to Heaven, Christy, and Touched by an Angel. But something changed. Some folks took these shows a bit too seriously, and complained that they either weren't spiritual enough, or that the spiritual aspects didn't conform to their own spiritual beliefs.

You almost get the sense that TV was more wholesome when it wasn't realistic, and didn't mention religion much. Yet people say they want more spiritual-friendly programming. So when tv production companies respond, those same people complain that the shows aren't adequately spiritual to their liking.

I have no doubt that, if the miniseries "Jesus of Nazareth" were aired today instead of the late 70's, there would be no shortage of Christians complainign about some aspect of it, be it the manner in which the crucifixion is portrayed, the application of dramatic license, or anything in between.

5. eloidalmanutha

From what you have described, it seems to me that instead of seeking God and His Word for spirituality, we turned to media, which assaulted christianity as well as the world.

Although I mostly agree with your synopsis of TV the last 50 years, I see a deeper element of evil at work - a dumbing down of what was considered unquestionably evil, to viewing it as entertainment. Now, new age, eastern mysticism, and kabbalah are affecting the very fiber of Christianity and changing it slowly into an all-encompassing expression of spirituality with no dividing line. Nothing new under the sun, eh?

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's exactly my point. But it is not unbelievers who are turning to the media for sirituality, it is Christians who are turning to the media instead of where they should be. I myself never have. I used to watch Touched By An Angel in its first few seasons a bit (never watched it towards the end of its run), and never once confused it with scripture, even if a show was scripturally dead on. But some Christians are too lazy to use discernment, and complain when the show doesn't meet their own spiritual expectations.
    I don't know a single Christian who is affected by such things. It's easy to claim that this is happenning, and to some extent, probably is (there's always evil of one kind or another attempting to permeate the faithful). But we mustn't use them as a scapegoat for all of Christianity's problems. Our biggest problems are within, not without. As I mentioned earlier: the influx of legalism and hyperfundamentalism, not to mention ultraliberalism, universalism, and the like. But some of those things have been chipping away at the faithful for 100 years or more, so we can't say that this is in any way new.

7. eloidalmanutha

I don't know a single Christian who is affected by such things. It's easy to claim that this is happenning, and to some extent, probably is (there's always evil of one kind or another attempting to permeate the faithful). But we mustn't use them as a scapegoat for all of Christianity's problems. Our biggest problems are within, not without. As I mentioned earlier: the influx of legalism and hyperfundamentalism, not to mention ultraliberalism, universalism, and the like. But some of those things have been chipping away at the faithful for 100 years or more, so we can't say that this is in any way new. [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]I will try and keep my remarks within the confines of christian TV or I will end up using the page allotage to this thread :eek:

My statements refer to believers, not unbelievers. So I will repeat that christians are turning to the media for their spirituality. If you are watching TV, listening to the radio, tapes, reading a book - you are being affected by it - even if it's numbing your mind to truth.

Deception comes little by little. It is for the most part imperceptable. Compromise here, compromise there.

"Ultraliberalism, universalism, and the like" are new age, eastern mysticism and kabbalah with different names. Legalism and hyperfundamentalism are not new either. As I said, nothing new under the sun - Solomon wrote those words :D The disciples ran into the same things.

Now, however; things are speeded up. The new wave of ecumenicism to going to break it apart, in my opinion. TV preachers are paving the way, so are programs like "Touched by an Angel" and whatever else is out there in TV land that's considered "spiritual". There IS an agenda, even if you don't want to see it.

8. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

9. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

10. eloidalmanutha

Yeah, what up with this guy? It appears that he is on there a couple times a week. I found this evaluation on the net:

http://www.uia.net/~messiah7/spl_RoodAwakEvalua.htm
    </font>[/QUOTE]ahhhh yes . . . michael rood . . . funny how he keeps popping up . . . he's about as anti-christian as it gets - I wonder how he's lasted on Sky Angel :confused:

11. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Yeah, what up with this guy? It appears that he is on there a couple times a week. I found this evaluation on the net:

http://www.uia.net/~messiah7/spl_RoodAwakEvalua.htm
    </font>[/QUOTE]ahhhh yes . . . michael rood . . . funny how he keeps popping up . . . he's about as anti-christian as it gets - I wonder how he's lasted on Sky Angel :confused:
    </font>[/QUOTE]I saw that he had done an interview with football great Reggie White that was aired on there. I remember reading in the press that Reggie had got to a point where he was studying various Jewish aspects of religion, and had stopped calling himself a Christian. I wonder if this guy was his mentor. :rolleyes:

12. eloidalmanutha

MR has led a lot of people astray, in my opinion. He teaches that Christianity is paganism, and as Mr. White was looking into orthodox Judaism, it is probable that MR contributed to Reggie's continued rejection of Christianity. I know they spent some time together in Israel during one of MR's "tours".

13. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

I don't want to derail this thread, but I did a little search on Reggie White on the internet, and I found a webpage that detailed his association with another guy named Monte Judah. Mr. Judah is, by his own words, a former Baptist Pastor who has now gone off into teaching the Hebrew roots, back under the Law stuff. Here is the webpage where this is mentioned:

http://www.yhmm.org/Reggie_White.htm

I am sorry to say, that it appears Reggie got Judaized by some people. I had a friend of mine, who's son had been “vexed” by some of this guys teachings a while back. I discussed it with him, and I am happy to report that he is all better now. :cool:

14. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

I found a few more things:

multiple quotes from an article:

Sara White marveled at her husband's passion for the truth. She had known Reggie since college and married him when she was just 21, yet he never ceased to amaze her. Here he was each morning, forsaking celebrity golf outings and easy speaking engagements, to spend hours and hours in solitude painstakingly translating Hebrew.

quote:

"He would come upstairs and say, 'Did you know, this, this and this?' " said Sara on Thursday, as the faint afternoon light peaked through the stained glass of the old Mariner's Church in downtown Detroit, where she conducted interviews for a forthcoming DVD about Reggie. "He would teach me what he learned. He found, first off, (that the) King James (Bible) was taken out of context, a lot. A lot of words were added. A lot of words were subtracted.

quote:

Reggie meticulously translated each word and then put it in context. Sara says he found alarming inaccuracies. Some of it was lost in translations, Hebrew being translated into Greek and then being translated into another language. Some may have been just simple errors, the product of an era before moveable type.
    Some were not so honest, Reggie White believed.
    "And so, that was what he was getting to – there were so many mistakes in the translations," said Sara while her sister nodded in agreement. "That is why he was so doggone eager to (translate it himself)."
    Each day brought new clarity, new opinions and more dismay that so much of what Reggie had once preached he no longer believed. He began to wonder if he had been used and lied to by ministers. He regretted using his fame to raise so much money for various churches he felt weren't true to God.
    He felt, he told NFL Films just four days before dying, "prostituted."

quote:

"Reggie felt like the churches had become polluted because they were following man's tradition instead of God," Sara said. "We felt like early on, (the) idea (of churches) was right, but then later on it was polluted because now, instead of going with what God was saying, they added to The Word. They added their opinions rather than just reading.

quote:

Now, in death, Reggie stands at odds with many Christians. Sara says he even stopped calling himself Christian and preferred to be known as "Believer" after studying the Torah.

The complete article can be read in it's entirety here:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=dw-white020306&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

15. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Back to the OP. Christian television is far from Christian in many aspects. Is it really necessary to have "Christian" entertainment? Saying that Christian television is "Christian", is like saying that the Message is a Bible. :eek:

16. eloidalmanutha

I am thrilled and thankful that this guy was turned back from heresy [as I was].

I looked at the link, and can't help but be horrified that Mr. Judah finds comfort in the fact that Reggie was becoming more Torah/Hebrew knowledgeable, obscuring the fact that Reggie was in fact seeking Judaism, not Messianic Judaism.

I think this is a valid topic, maybe a bit off thread - but if this kind of thing is being promoted on Chr TV then it needs to be exposed.

17. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

The more I dig the worse it gets.This will be my last post on this topic on this thread.It appears that this man has denied the book of Hebrews as being inspired:

http://www.therefinersfire.org/book_of_hebrews.htm

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The nail on the head hast thou hit, mon frer. That was what I was referring to earlier. It's ridiculous for Christians to see a necessessity of Christian entertainment or media. I have no problem with Sky Angel or any other media outlets, but to think we can just order Sky Angel and wash our hands of it, that's just ridiculous. When there's programming that we object to, we shouldn't be pointing the finger at Sky Angel, we should be pointing the finger at ourselves for our laziness.
    You're exactly right. I will assume that, since I'm in agreement with you, the Second COming must be near.

19. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

The nail on the head hast thou hit, mon frer. That was what I was referring to earlier. It's ridiculous for Christians to see a necessessity of Christian entertainment or media. I have no problem with Sky Angel or any other media outlets, but to think we can just order Sky Angel and wash our hands of it, that's just ridiculous. When there's programming that we object to, we shouldn't be pointing the finger at Sky Angel, we should be pointing the finger at ourselves for our laziness.
    </font>[/QUOTE]So then, it's really not worry free TV? You mean I have been fooled? [​IMG]

You're exactly right. I will assume that, since I'm in agreement with you, the Second COming must be near.[/QUOTE]

You see, that why I love ya Johnny...er... I mean John. [​IMG]

20. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I never take slogans as promises of performance. To do so is simply naive. Otherwise, I should complain about "must see tv", because I rarely watch that station. Or "I'm luvin' it" because I don't always. Or "have it your way" because if I want a burger rare, I can't have it my way.

Anyway, you get my drift.