1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Christ's Work Not Good Enough for Some

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by BlueMoon, Jul 7, 2017.

1. BlueMoon

BlueMoon New Member
    Site Supporter

I love reading discussions about translations and textual criticism. In addition to the content that's on the BaptistBoard, I wanted to explore that same content on other forums as well. I read a good bit of material - on the same topic - on the PuritanBoard site, and thought I'd join. I knew it was a reformed site, but I had no idea they were so stringent regarding being accepted to their forum. I had to submit the usual - user name password, real name... However, DOB, church where you are a member, city and state, and which reformed confessional you adhere to are all requirements. Also, it's required that you explain in detail your confessional beliefs, including any you don't adhere to. For the confessional, "other" is one of the choices. I hold to Arminian theology, and I listed "other." In the field where you explain things, I explained that I hold to the Apostle's Creed, that I was an Arminian, that I was only interested in their forum because of the translation/textual criticism section, and that I wouldn't say anything about my theological stance, unless specifically asked, and even then, I would not argue the point. After submitting the former, I was rejected within an hour with a very short note saying accepting me, based on my beliefs, is against their policy. "Sorry."

I honestly felt dejected for a short time. Even though I had a different theology than they did, I'm feeling that being purchased by the blood of Christ and growing in Him through the process of sanctification is not good enough to get into their "Christian" club. Even though they are my brothers and sisters in Christ and we'll eventually spend eternity together, I feel that I don't measure up in their eyes, to spend any time with on this side of Heaven. This is momentary, and I'm not dwelling on it. It happened today, and I know myself. I'll forget about it by tomorrow. However, I wondered if I'm justified in feeling this way. I know they formed their "club" and can let in whoever they wish and keep out whoever they wish. If it wasn't a Christian forum, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Feedback please. And please - no focused discussion of Calvinism, Arminianism, reformed theology, etc.

2. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the BB took that kind of attitude here, who would be here?... Jumping thru all different hoops to join their quote unquote Christian club:eek:... Who wants to go thru all you described and is it worth it to you if you did?... Say something wrong and they boot you out the door... I have been here over 15 years and there are many brothers and sisters well qualified to discuss with you anything you want... You want Preachers... There here... Biblical Scholars... We got those too... and various others in between... Its true we have lively heated discussions on here but we have Christian Moderators and Administrators that don't let the discussions get out of hand... As one brother to another you are welcome here... Stick around and check us out... Christ's work is always good enough for me!... Brother Glen:)

#2 tyndale1946, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  3. BlueMoon

BlueMoon New Member
    Site Supporter

Thank you Brother Glen. I can't help but feel like this forum is like Christ with His arms extended in welcome, while the other is the opposite. Thank you again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

4. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Puritan Board must be filled with those Wisconsin Synod Lutherans... Those folks can't even accept a Lutheran from Missouri.

Gotta just dust off the sandals. Take is as Providential guidance that God moved you out of that group and lead you here to us heathens saved by grace.

5. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is what it says on the tin.
    It is a site for the discussion of Reformed Theology and Puritanism. And even Reformed Baptists are regarded as only barely acceptable, and then only if they know their place, as I know to my cost, having been on the board for a while before being expelled.

However, it is, as you say, their board, and it's very popular. They're not going to change it.

6. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BlueMoon, full disclosure: I am a member of the Puritan Board. The Puritan Board is a confessional Reformed message board. It exists to further discussion of the Reformed faith. From its website, here is what the Puritan Board is about:

Since you are neither confessional nor Reformed, you do not qualify for membership. Why did you want to join since you are not in agreement with the PB's confessional, Reformed position? Why gripe about their rejection of your application for membership since you knew beforehand that you are not in agreement? Before you applied for membership you must have read the PB's terms and conditions for membership found here: Terms and Conditions So, you knew the requirements for membership before applying. If you applied without reading the terms and conditions, whose fault is that?