1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Divorce a Sin?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by AdoptedDaughter, May 20, 2003.

1. RomOne16

RomOne16 New Member

So the blood of Jesus, according to you, isn't sufficient to cover my sins? I was saved at the age of 13, but did not live in a Christian home, and didn't attend church (to learn about being a Christian) until after I had already divorced/remarried. So what now?

Show me the scripture that says that I am not forgiven by God through the blood of Christ, if I sincerely ask for that forgiveness.

As for name calling, I did not call you names. Re-read my post. I merely described your attitude so please spare me the martyr business.

2. RomOne16

RomOne16 New Member

Bro. Rickey, I appreciate your post.

I must admit though that I am beginning to take this thread very personally, and not in a good way. [​IMG]

For a fellow believer to say to me that they would not have me or my family in their church because of my past is way over the top in my opinion. Had I not shared the fact that I am divorced/remarried, no one would ever consider my family too dirty for their church. God has blessed me with a beautiful family. Our kids are wonderful and love the Lord. They share the gospel, and point others to Christ.

I am just........ [​IMG] I have never been this hurt or upset by something on this board. [​IMG] These tears are real [​IMG] .

I am bowing out of this for good now. [​IMG]

Thanks for your kindness.

Laura

3. Istherenotacause

Istherenotacause New Member

Laura, Stop right now and pray for Tonya. Tonya, you stop right now and pray for Laura.

I duely respect each of your differing stance on this subject, but we are NOT to be hurting each other by wielding our swords slashing one another!

I will be praying for the both of you, and especially wizofoz! :eek:

In His Holy Service,

Brother Ricky

4. AdoptedDaughter

AdoptedDaughter New Member

I never said your family. In fact, your children I would. I never said that the blood of Christ doesn't cover all, but to live in sin is differently. I never said that your family was too dirty for my church.

You asked a question, and I answered it honestly. If you don't want my honest opinion, then don't ask for it. I am sorry that you are taking this thread that personally, but I hold the fact that divorce and remarriage are both sins.

5. Istherenotacause

Yet the child of God can find forgiveness for those sins, "For the mercy of the LORD endureth forever"

I John 1:6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
    7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
    8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
    9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
    10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
    2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
    3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
    4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
    5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
    6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.
    7 Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning.
    8 Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth.
    9 He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now.
    10 He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him.

In His Holy Service,

Brother Ricky

6. AdoptedDaughter

I apologize if my statement was misconstruted in a way that hurt you, that was not my intention, only to answer honestly and forthrightly.

7. AdoptedDaughter

There's a difference between being forgiven and repenting and asking for forgiveness and living in sin.

8. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Adopted Daughter writes:
    >>There's a difference between being forgiven and
    >>repenting and asking for forgiveness and living
    >>in sin.

Nobody disputes this. But what is your definition of sin? You have stated on at least two occasions that one must be celibate if they are remarried, or they are committing adultery. There is no Scriptural passage that supports this. As a result, you are totally at liberty to have a personal conviction about this, but cannot hold this out as doctrine. Remarriage could be a sin of adultery (depending upon the circumstances already outlined several times now), but once the sin is forgiven, it is forgiven. Now that the sin is forgiven, the rules of marriage in I Corinthians absolutely apply to the new marriage.

9. Baptist in Richmond

Istherenotacause writes:
    >>Laura, Stop right now and pray for Tonya.
    >>Tonya, you stop right now and pray for Laura.
    >>I duely respect each of your differing stance
    >>on this subject, but we are NOT to be hurting
    >>each other by wielding our swords slashing one
    >>another!

Well, Kirk: looks like you have once again destroyed those computers that simulate war between the two planets (cannot remember the specific names)!! Nice job.

Hey, wait: what is that? It's an old freighter. Wow, it's the SS Botany Bay.......
    :eek:

10. AdoptedDaughter

It's the way that we understand scripture.

You say that remarriage is not in the Bible, therefore it must be ok...then the Trinity is not in the Bible, therefore it must not exist.

11. Baptist in Richmond

RomOne16 writes:
    >>For a fellow believer to say to me that they
    >>would not have me or my family in their church
    >>because of my past is way over the top in my
    >>opinion.

You are absolutely right.
    To hold a sin that is forgiven against you is SIN, pure and simple. Any church who does not forgive when God forgives is not a church that you need to be attending anyway. Read Chapter 5 in the book of Galatians. Don't listen to anyone who condemns you for a forgiven sin.

>>Had I not shared the fact that I am
    >>divorced/remarried, no one would ever consider
    >>my family too dirty for their church. God has
    >>blessed me with a beautiful family. Our kids
    >>are wonderful and love the Lord. They share the
    >>gospel, and point others to Christ.

Come to Richmond, VA. It is a beautiful city that is teeming with history. It is also "about an hour" away from just about everything. I have only been here for about six months now, but could name you five churches that would welcome you and your family.

I recently moved here from Tampa, FL. I was transferred in my job, or I would still be there. I can name you about thirty churches that would do the same.

Don't ever let someone put you down for a sin that is forgiven: EVER!

12. Baptist in Richmond

Adopted Daughter writes:
    >>You say that remarriage is not in the Bible,
    >>therefore it must be ok...then the Trinity is
    >>not in the Bible, therefore it must not exist.

This is nonsense.
    First of all, I never said what you claim. Actually, I said that remarriage was in the Bible.
    Atmosphere is not in the Bible, therefore it must not exist. CD players are not in the Bible, therefore, they must not exist. The Commonwealth of Virginia is not in the Bible, therefore it must not exist. I am not saying that something doesn't exist because it is not in the Bible. On the other hand, you maintain something as doctrine despite the fact that it cannot be found in the Bible.

I will say it again: if you want to have a personal conviction, that is fine. Just don't hold it out as doctrine, especially when there is no Scripture to support your personal conviction to be Biblical doctrine.

13. Istherenotacause

"Bible" is not in the Bible thereforew it does not exist? :confused: :eek: :rolleyes: [​IMG]

14. hsmom3

hsmom3 New Member

Yes, I do consider our Lord's example and it was JESUS who gave the exception for fornication, not Moses. [​IMG]

Yes, I know that. But I hate dirty dishes, does that make dirty dishes a sin? :D (Yes, I know that dirty dishes is not a serious matter.) I know that there is a lot of things that are hated, but are unavoidable at times and not necessarily sins.

No, according to how I understand the Scripture, Jesus was taking away all the petty excuses and saying that divorce was not allowed for the petty excuses anymore, EXCEPT fornication. [​IMG]

No, our Lord doesn't want us to hate anyone. BUT you can forgive someone and not put yourself in a position to be hurt by them anymore. As my pastor says, "If you are bit by a dog once, shoot the dog; if you are bit again by the same dog, shoot YOU." Now, I'm not saying anyone should divorce their spouse for the first offense. But I think and am fully convinced in my heart that Jesus gives us this exception because there are some people who will do it again and again and again.

I hate to add personal examples, because some will say that I'm interpreting the Bible by emotions, but my Aunt was married 40+ years to my Uncle, who died of cancer. My Uncle divorced my Aunt YEARS ago, but she would not leave him. She stayed in the house against his will. He has tried to kill her and was very abusive. But the most important thing, my Uncle had another family on the side! Not another woman, but another WHOLE FAMILY!! My Aunt is a good Christian lady and felt very convinced that she should remain with her husband. My Aunt forgave him again and again and again, but had to sleep with a gun to protect herself. What good did it do her to stay with this man? Someone please tell me. She tried to win him according to the Bible by the meek and quiet spirit, but he died the same old guy. You could argue too that she didn't submit to him by leaving after he'd divorced her. Did my Aunt sin by even being divorced??

I have a very close friend, who's husband cheated on her repeatedly. He even had another woman in HER bed while she was lying in the hospital recovering from a c-section with their child. She forgave him when no one else would. The last affair was with a teenage girl, who already had 2 children by 2 different fathers. According to the Bible, she had every reason to divorce him. BTW- She did all she knew to be the godly wife the Bible instructs one to be.

One more thing on forgiveness. I forgive my ex-husband for all he's done to me and my children. We pray for him daily and I do have a godly love for him. I don't want to see God "get him, and get him good!" No, I fear for him, because I know God doesn't take sin lightly, especially when you've hurt one of His children. But I will not allow him to keep hurting me and the kids. I don't think that's being unforgiving. That's being wise. I try to treat him just like Jesus would.

Thank you for allowing me to share my feelings. [​IMG] I truly mean all my posts in a humble way.

hsmom3

15. hsmom3

hsmom3 New Member

I'm still waiting on a response on this. Any takers? :D

hsmom3

16. hsmom3

hsmom3 New Member

Laura, I'm so sorry that you've been hurt by these threads and I understand. Some things have hurt me too, but I've grown to accept it. :D

To everyone, it's good, wonderful and BEAUTIFUL to stand for our Lord, the Bible and our convictions, but we need to be careful and very sensitive when voicing them. You never know when you yourself might be in some circumstances where you'll either have to bite the bullet or eat your words. God has a way of showing us ALL (me too) how little we know. I've learned a long time ago to not be harsh with people in circumstances I don't agree with or understand, because I've not been there. I want to be gracious. I don't want to be like the brand new Christian who was so on fire for the Lord, that they started giving out the Gospel by cussing people out! (Yes, I've heard of actual cases of this. [​IMG] ) They were too "green" to know they needed to be gracious too. [​IMG]

hsmom3

17. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think we have hurt enough people so far?

Think we have misconstrued what others believe?

Think this has gone way past its needed life?

Answer to all is "Yes" and I'm done. Closed. If you feel you have something new to add or a question that was not fully expounded, feel free to start a new thread on that specific course.