1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Eating Pork Wrong?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by gekko, Aug 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

BobRyan, I see you keep pointing us back to Lev 11. I believe in the complete Bible but I also believe Judiasm and Christianity are not one religion. Yes, it is the same God, but Christianity comes before the father by way of the Son where as the Jews came by way of the prophets and the law. Jesus clearly said Christianity is a new "Wine" which was put in a "New Wine skin" for obvious implications.

So as we look at Lev 11, either we have to take it literal and accept every word or we take it figuratively and except it within context... Sounds like the former would be Judiasm and the later would be Christianity. I choose the later.

Here is how it begins;

Leviticus 11:1 And the LORD spake unto Moses and to Aaron, saying unto them,
    2 Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, These are the beasts which ye shall eat among all the beasts that are on the earth.

As I see Lev 11 it was spoken directly to the Children of Israel which I am not one. Are you one? It was spoken to them via the prophets and the law (Moses and Aaron) who were Jewish leaders which purposely did not carry to the "New Wine" Christianity.

God does not necessarily say things are not clean, he continually sais "... is unclean unto you." I take the unto you as being Israel or Judiasm which verse two says is who this was directed to.

This has always been my way of understanding Acts 10:13-15

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.
    14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
    15 And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.

Acts 10:28 And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

Combining these thoughts says God called Jews clean and Gentiles unclean. Jews felt they were clean because of what they did or didn't eat. In reality, they were clean because of their obedience to God by eating and not eating what he directed. This tried to carry to the NT, but here Jesus teaches Peter that if God cleaned it, it is clean indeed. This goes for the food he told him to eat as well as the believers he refused to fellowship with.

What say you my Brother?

#301 LeBuick, Dec 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2006
  2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There has only been ONE Gospel in all of time according to Gal 1:6-11 and that ONE Gospel was "preached to US JUST as it was TO THEM also" as Paul tells us in Heb 4:1-3.

They are ONE religion - worshiping ONE God and preaching ONE Gospel.

By taking a two-Gospel, two-religion approach as you are doing we can then start slicing up the Bible between the Christian-Bible vs the Jewish-Bible and the pick-and-choose two-gospel system kicks in full speed.

God is the author of the OT - are you saying that God "ordained legalism as a way of salvation"?? Paul denies that in Gal 3. Further Paul states that the OT text is fully sufficient to direct us all to savlation in 2Tim 3.

Are you really ready to charge God with the man-made traditions of the Jews??

I don't think that is a sound solution to the problem against eating rats, cats, dogs, bats and human flesh.

In Christ,

Bob

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How do you read Lev 11? It is posted here on this thread -
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=920384&postcount=265

is God HIMSELF saying that by eating rats, cats, bats, decaying flesh and human flesh that they would make themselves an abomination before Him?

How do you read it?

In Christ,

Bob

#303 BobRyan, Dec 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.