1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is effeminacy a problem?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I've not seen you make a case that anyone's position is sad. I've just seen you make a claim that it is without supporting that claim.

That's the easiest thing in the world to do.

There may be a passage in Nehemiah that I do not recall which specifically says that women were actually doing some of the building work on the wall. But even if there is, it would be the an EXTRAORDINARY exception.

What is your verse reference?

2. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent points all around!
    Luke insinuates that you do not read the Bible and yet I am the one flaming around here.

3. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course you haven't because you choose to ignore it. I am not going to repost it. If you are interested you can go back and find it.

Read through Nehemiah 3 and the builders of the wall, you will see it. Also, abcgrad just made a great point regarding Prov 31.

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You're right. I should not have stooped to return fire. But make no mistake: I was responding to your insulting demeanor.

I cannot think of any way that a single phrase in this paragraph even addresses anything I have said heretofore- much less refutes it.

What about these things do you think has anything to do with our conversation?

5. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Attention to Luke, attention to Luke: ANOTHER statement in this thread that is sad. You gloss over an attempt to say you shouldn't say something and then take ANOTHER shot at her?

Let's be honest about what you are doing here. You come with this supposed question, yet you really do not want an answer, you have it already figured out. You want people to simply agree with you and your conclusion. Anyone that disagrees is flaming or insulting.

Sad.

6. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My insulting demeanor? Me thinks you're imagining things there. :laugh:

The points I made have everything to do with this conversation. To the prophet Samuel, David's brother's were strong manly men. Samuel thought for sure he was to anoint one of them as king. Instead, God instructed him to anoint the runt, the ruddy little singing shepherd who was the youngest of the family. That story alone should show us that we humans make mistakes and false assumptions based on outward appearance.

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I don't think you have made an argument in this thread until your last post.

Now you have an argument. That's how we make progress. Not by pointless, insulting, inflaming drive-by posting.

Now I will address your argument and offer a counter argument. That's the way this thing is SUPPOSED to work.

Here is the text you cited:
    It does say in one phrase that a man's daughters worked with him. We do not know ANYTHING about the nature of their work. The text does not say. They might have been there providing water for thirsty men or they might have been lifting heavy bricks. Since we do not know, we cannot make a case with this phrase one way or the other.

But let's assume for a moment that these women were doing some serious heavy lifting here.

1- I've not said that a woman can never do tasks that are usually ascribed to men. That's not part of my argument in this thread.
    My point about the shoulders of a woman which might have been broadened by doing manly tasks only has to do with the fact that apparently, for her, those shoulders and physical features caused her to walk, talk and move like a man.
    If a woman can occasionally do some manly tasks without becoming manly themselves- more power to them.

2- We know nothing about these daughters. We have absolutely NO REASON to think that they were, by trade, builders. We only know that they helped their father this one time.
    I don't know of anyone in the WORLD who would have a problem with this.

If there is a problem with women doing manly tasks, as I figure there is, it is only if they do them by trade- not on occasion.

3- Even in your own text this is the EXTRAORDINARY EXCEPTION- as I said before. Note all the references that specifically identify men as opposed to women working on this wall.

4- The rebuilding of this wall was a unique and extreme circumstance which invites extreme measures like employing women to do the tasks God generally intended for men to do.

In light of these facts I think your argument is completely invalid.

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

There you go- very good! You are making a claim and supporting it with a warrant that I can critique.

That's the way we're SUPPOSED to do it. It takes courage, but it's the right thing to do.

I asked a question to find out how many people felt like it was a problem and how many felt that it is not.

I was not asking for information. I was asking if it is a problem to the members of baptistboard.

So you're mistaken.

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

David was perfectly manly. There is no indication that he was at all less manly than his brothers.

That reference is meaningless as it pertains to this conversation in my opinion.

#109 Luke2427, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2012
  10. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for approving of my posts now. I can end this day with my head held high.
    You still owe a genuine apology to abcgrad. But I am not going to hold my breath on that one.

11. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You slid back into your old ways here.

Make a case for what you claim. That's what you are supposed to do in a debate.

12. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nice work man, avoid what you need to do.
    You called her out for having insulting demeanor in this thread which led you to made a bad statement to her. You take no responsibility for your actions at all, it is all on her. If she has not had such an insulting demeanor you wouldn't have made such a remark. Guess that is being manly.

13. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

No one has said anything about voice pitch or physical stature so I cannot see how this has anything to do with the topic at hand.

14. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I did take responsibility. You can take no more responsibility than by saying- "You're right. I shouldn't have done this."

So I don't think you have a point there.

You may have a point here. I looked back over the posts and she was not insulting.

Sometimes these posts run together on here and you get people mixed up.

You have been very insulting along with a couple of others and I got her mixed in with you guys.

So ABCGRAD- I am sorry- truly. You were not insulting at all and it was my mistake to claim that you were.

15. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh?

You don't recall Diamondlady bringing up the Wally Cox 'high pitched voice' to which you tried to respond by 'dishing' that:

16. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you. Apology accepted.

17. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yes, I recall that. What's your point?

I did not say that Wally Cox simply having a high pitched voice makes him effeminate.

I did not say that Walley Cox was himself effeminate. He might have been- I don't recall. And I certainly did not say that just him having a high pitched voice equates to effeminacy.

I just noted that it was widely rumored that he might have been a closet homosexual which reminds us of the importance of pursuing masculinity.

I have repeatedly identified the ways in which I am concerned that many heterosexual men appear effeminate. I have said the way they walk, talk and move should be masculine.

This has nothing to do with the pitch of the voice but WAY in which the person chooses to pronounce his words.

A man with a high voice can speak perfectly masculine.

A man with a low voice can sound horribly feminine.

I'll give an example. Harvey Fierstein has a very low voice but it is HORRIBLY feminine because of the WAY he uses it.

A man cannot help if he is tall or short- large in stature or small in stature. He cannot help if his vocal chords are designed to produce a high pitch or a low pitch.

But a healthy man CAN control the WAY he uses that voice and the WAY he moves his body. For some it is more of a struggle than for others- but it can be done.

Most of us would be against men in drag. Dress is not the only thing that communicates masculinity and femininity. The way we speak and carry ourselves communicates these things even more than the way we dress.

If one would be opposed to a man dressing like a woman, he should be consistent and be opposed to a man walking and talking like a woman as well.

18. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I told you about a friend of mine who had a high voice and lisp, and you responded saying:

"I would suggest that the way men walk, talk and move should be distinct from the way women and girls do these things."

and...

"but WAY in which the person chooses to pronounce his words"

So, maybe you can see how I was lead to believe you do think the pitch of the voice and a lisp matters.

Personally, I believe the focus needs to be on the content of what men say and believe. Though, in general, I agree that our culture has become much too effeminate. It bugs me to no end to see a guy leading worship wearing skinny jeans but maybe it bugs him that I like baggy cargo shorts, I don't know?! :laugh:

19. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

As I said, "It's not the pitch of the voice- it's the way one uses it."

I've affirmed this from the start. I said from the OP that this is secondary to such issues as men being leaders and providers, etc...

But just because something is not THE MAIN thing does not mean it ought to be haphazardly relegated to a status of unimportance.

If it is not good for men to DRESS like women- then for the same reasons it is not good for men to walk, talk and move like women.

Men ought to seek to be masculine. A blurring of manhood and womanhood, a disdain for distinctives is DOUBTLESSLY a factor in the rise of the acceptance of homosexuality in our culture.

This is not the MAIN thing. Teaching masculinity to our young boys is not the "focus" of our ministries by any means, but it is not unimportant either.

I concur.

20. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I think the issue is differentiating between those things that can be helped or controlled by the individual and those things which cannot. I know that is not a distinction that is easy for a "deterministic thinker" to acknowledge, but I do believe it is the reason for much of this conflict.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.