1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is Evangelism a Spiritual Gift?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by rlvaughn, Apr 21, 2017.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In another thread there was some reference to whether evangelism (and discipleship) was a spiritual gift. Also the other side of the coin being that it is a command rather than a gift. That piqued my interest, since just a few days ago I read a post at SBC Today titled Evangelism Is Not A Spiritual Gift.
    Some excerpts:
    What does "spiritual gift" mean? Is evangelism a spiritual gift?

2. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll answer the Second question...

Yes, it is a Gift and Privilege to Evangelize the Lost and Brag on the Lord Jesus!!!! What an honor it is to be able to speak of the immeasurable riches of God's Grace in His Son Jesus Christ!!!!!!

As far as Evangelism being a "Gift of the Holy Spirit" that only certain selected people will receive--That is preposterous. Every Child of God receives the Spirit of God, the same Spirit who Loves the Son infinitely and Desires to Brag and Boast in Him every chance possible. If we are not actively sharing the Gospel and Work of Our Lord Jesus Christ it is because we are suppressing the Spirit and Quenching Him. He wants to boast in Christ and we want to boast in our fishing trips.

Just my $.02

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no Scriptural evidence for a gift of evangelism. What we have is not a gift of evangelism, but a gift of the evangelist in Eph. 4:11.

Looking at the ministry of the only NT evangelist, Philip, we find that he did both personal evangelism and mass evangelism, suggesting that his task in the modern church is to keep us on our toes, winning souls and discipling them, holding mass evangelism meetings. To put it differently, he encourages the believers in the churches to live a revival lifestyle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think so. For many of the reasons stated by John above. "Evangelist" is an office in the church, not a spiritual gift.

• Like Like x 1
  5. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith; 7if service, in our serving; the one who teaches, in his teaching;8the one who exhorts, in his exhortation; the one who contributes, in generosity; the one who leads,f with zeal; the one who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness.
    Romans 12:6-8
    For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, 9to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, 10to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues
    I Cor12:8-10,
    As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God’s varied grace: 11whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God; whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies—in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.
    1 Pet 4:11-12

The above verses list the Gifts given to believers. We have:
    Prophecy
    Service - Gal 5:13, Eph 6:7
    Teaching – Matt 28:20
    Exhortation – Heb 3:13
    Giving – 2 Cor 9:7
    Leadership
    Mercy – Hosea 6:6
    Wisdom – Matt 10:16
    Knowledge – 2 Cor 1:5
    Faith – Heb 11:6
    Healing
    Miracles
    Discernment – 1 John 4:1
    Tongues
    Interpreation of Tongues
    Speaking

As can be seen most of the gifts with the exception of the sign gifts (Prophecy, Healing, Miracles, Tongues, and Interpretation of tongues) have a command found elsewhere in Scripture. I have always taken that to mean that those who are gifted in a certain area, are going to be able to do more, or have better results than others. I mean I think we can all think of that one person who always has an encouraging word, regardless of the situation, or that person that seems better able to show Mercy to those around them. They are gifted but that is not an excuse to not show Mercy, or not exhort those around us.

Also notice what is missing from this list, no where do we see evangelizing or discipleship listed and we have very clear commands in Scripture to do both of those.

And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, helping, administrating, and various kinds of tongues.
    1 Cor 12:28
    And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherdsc and teachers,d 12to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ,
    Eph 4:11-12

Now in these verses we have gifts given to the church.
    Apostles, Prophets, Teachers, Miracles, Healing, Helping, Administration, and Tongues, Evangelist, Pastor/Shepherds.
    Eph 4:11-12 also gives the reason for these roles in the church, to equip the saints for ministry and building up the church.

This is the only place where we see a specific office of Evangelist, but that does not let anyone off the hook in fulfilling the great commission which involves BOTH sharing the good news and making Disciples.

6. reformed_baptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evangelism is a gift (Eph 4:11) and yet it is also something we are all supposed to be doing (Matt 28:18-20) :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evangelism and discipleship are commands, not gifts. We use the Gifts to obey/fulfill the commands.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But God is the soul winner! We do not win anyone, but only God can draw the elect to salvation.

9. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow!

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Care to elaborate?

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes it would be, as while all of us are called to be witnesses, those gifted to do such are enabled to have the power/authority to have sinners turned to Christ by Grace of God opearating in the lives of those so gifted...

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evangelism is not a gift in that passage. The evangelist is. That is an important difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. reformed_baptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The roles listed in Eph 4:11 are all roles that involve the use of gifts - the role of evangelist requires the exorcise of gifts - so yes actually evangelism is a gift - as well as a duty.

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is circular thinking, as if you were saying: "The roles in Eph. 4:11 all involve gifts, therefore evangelism is a gift, because the roles involve gifts." First you have to prove your thesis that the Eph. 4:11 list involves gifts.

V. 8 says "gave gifts to men." Then v. 11 says "And he gave some," and then lists the five. So where do you get that "the roles involve gifts" other than the roles themselves being gifts? Is not "gave" an indication that the roles were gifts?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. reformed_baptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That isn't circular reasoning! Which of the roles in Eph 4:11 would you does not require specific gifting from the Spirit to perform? Can anyone be an apostle without specific gifting? Can anyone be a prophet without specific gifting, can anyone be pastor/ teacher without specific gifting - or are you just separating our Evangelists from the middle of the list for some reason?

why?

No, the implication is actually that the men fulfilling those roles, or exorcising those gifts, are God's gift to his church.

16. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would this be the same then as saying that one is called to preach, and for that, the Lord also gives one the gift to be a teacher of the word?

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was a missionary to Japan for 33 years. I did not have special gifts to do that. It was all involved in how God made me. He made me to love the Japanese people and their culture and language.

Take the language--please! It's a very difficult one. However, it was duck soup for me. God had made me with an aptitude for languages. Call that a gift if you wish, but it was in my DNA, so I don't consider that it was a gift, somehow given to me, but simply part of who I am.
    Because there are no such gifts listed in Eph. 4. The context says "gifts," but then the roles/offices are "given," making them the gifts.
    That's kind of what I've been saying--that the men in Eph. 4:11 are the gift. There is no indication in the passage, though, that there are specific gifts that make being a pastor easier. I think you'd have to go to the Corinthian or Roman passages for specific gifts, but none of those gifts are a gift of evangelism. Yet if there were a special gift of evangelism, wouldn't you expect to find it in those passages?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not exactly. I maintain that the person himself is a gift, not that he has a gift of being able to teach. Teaching is in his DNA, not given extra.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gift of Tongues????:Biggrin :rolleyes: :Whistling

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yabba dubba do! (Ancient caveman language.) :)

• Funny Funny x 1