1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is faith alone enough to save?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salamander, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the next two questions would be...

1. Was he baptized to show his new faith?</font>[/QUOTE]
    No. Not necessary for salvation.

Works aren't necessary. Faith and repentance are. Works are a result of genuine faith and repentance... to that end, the "work" of the thief was his testimony that has endured and blessed believers for almost 2000 years.

2. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good deal Scott.

In a matter of three posts, we have debunked a large number of doctrinal issues concerning salvation, baptism, and works!

Kudo's to you my friend.

3. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Schedule me a jet and I'll let you buy me a steak. ;)

4. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    maybe sometime we can do that....well without the jet anyway!!

5. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

I absolutely agree with you on this statement. Christ commanded us to pick up our cross and follow Him. Branches which did not bear fruit are cast into the fire. This is not works based salvation. A true born again experience literally does just that. It changes you completely to the extent that you will never want to return to your old way of life. Oh, every Christian will slip up and sin. The important thing is to recognize that sin, repent, and get back on the straight and narrow.

The key part of living a Christian life is to maintain a close relationship with Christ, to abide in Him. As the song goes, they can tell we are Christians by our love. MA 25 and Rev. 20 describe the eternal fate of those who don't abide in Him and demonstrate this love.

6. Salamander

Salamander New Member

But now compare Ephesians 2:8 to Galatians: "by grace, through faith". It seems "through faith" insists a process after grace applied, not in the sense that works must accompany faith to be saved or to stay saved, but as James 2 shows us all, that faith alone is dead, and that works accompnay living faith: "The just shall live by faith".

That supercedes the conjecture that faith alone saves in the sense that true living faith is what really saves as evidenced by our reaction to regeneration by grace, through faith. Abraham was justified by his works of faith, not by either alone, but together. Justification is faith in action. Works of faith are evidences of genuine salvation, thus a profession of faith alone is exposed by no fruit of the Spirit.

I heard it put this way, "No fruit, No root!!"

7. Salamander

Salamander New Member

And the next two questions would be...

1. Was he baptized to show his new faith?
    and

2. What works did he perform to support his new faith?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Of course he wasn't baptised in water by immersion, but he was definitely Baptised by the Holy Ghost in the Blood of Christ.

His works? Maybe confessing to the Roman soldiers before, during, and after his legs were broken so he would die; a martyr? His tesitmony placed within the Scriptures for all to read?

8. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

faith and living the life God wills for us

9. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But he wasn't submersed under water to complete his salvation.

His testimony being placed within scripture wasn't his doing, so that wasn't a work that he did.

This person was saved by Christ without doing anything other than believing Christ was Lord, and receiving Christs' promise that he would live with Him eternally.
    He didn't work for it, he didn't have the time to "show" works, he wasn't baptized after he was saved.

Why do people try to make the simplistic things difficult. Believe in Christ as Lord, accept Him as savior, and let Him wash away your sins, and accept His promise of eternity with Him.

10. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then I have to go back to my question:

Where was the thiefs "fruit"? How was the thief justified if he had no works to give evidence of "genuine salvation"??

Why make this harder than it really is?

11. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I dunno, Woody, but it seems more like he maybe even witnessed to the Roman soldiers as they broke his legs for him to die by crucifixion. Why, one of those soldiers may just have been the one credited with saying, "Truly this was the Son of God".

Also, I have never even tried to say works are necessary for salvation, but that works are evdiences of slavation in that they are of a living faith, that is what James meant under inspiration in chapters 2:14-26, that a faith without works is dead.

Now Scripture expressly states that we are justified by faith, that would be faith excercised, not just simple believing as so many think, because God chose the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

I can almost hear that theif on the right say,"You may break my legs so I will die, but that fellow in the middle is the Son of God. Just wait three days and you'll see and I'll be with Him in Paradise, you can too!"

You do have to remember, much is left open for the reader in Scripture to understand, but may not be verbatim, but is definitely true.

12. JWI

JWI New Member

You have to be careful when judging by appearances. There are many examples of people who trusted in God who did not act very "faithful" at times.

When Noah got drunk and lay in his tent naked.

When Jacob deceived his father and said he was Esau.

When Lot chose to live in Sodom for gain.

Samson. Wow. His whole life was a mess. He left his wife. He killed men to settle a gambling debt. He visited a prostitute on a regular basis.

When David committed adultery with Bathsheba. Then, he had his soldiers abandon Uriah in the heat of battle so that he was killed.

Solomon took hundreds of wives.

Peter denied Christ. He left the ministry and went back to his occupation of fishing.

Yes, Christians should try to obey God at all times. But the truth is, many people who truly love and have faith in Christ do not always live so well.

I am not trying to make excuses for Christians who do not seem to live as they should.

But you have to be careful how you judge. All of the men above had saving faith in God, yet at times did not behave very well. Many, like Samson would have been judged to be unsaved sinners by religious people.

13. hamricba

hamricba New Member

Someone has said, "Faith alone is never faith alone."

Saving faith is more than mental assent. It is the gift of God which trusts, and from that trust produces God-glorifying behavior.

14. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

15. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Very good, and even Scriptural.

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another factor - what we think of as "saving faith" is never without its "flip side", repentance.

In that regard, faith alone (without repentance) is dead.

But real saving faith will ALWAYS have repentance as a part of it. Don't just think of "saving faith" as synonymous with "believing".

Remember, the demons believe.

17. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Paul tends to be a very good arguer!

It seems that he goes to great lengths ("ad absurdum" at times) to make a point.

Paul wants to be sure that salvation is NOT localized to anything other than faith - thus his insistence on salvation by faith with an apparent minimization of the significance of works. His point is NOT that works are not important as markers of true faith; rather he wants to be sure to hammer home the point that those works cannot save a man.

18. DeadMan

DeadMan New Member

A TRUE faith in Christ is all you need!

19. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Thank you for repeating me.

20. Aki

Aki Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    on another perspective, the only ones who will be saved are whom God will justify, or declare rigtheous in His sight. others will be left unworthy for God's acceptance.

and suprise! justification is recieved through faith alone.

"we are justified by faith... not by works..."