1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is Faith an exclusive gift ?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Barry Johnson, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Scott Downey

Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The world is unbelieving in Christ, things of the world and people of the world are under the sway of the devil. and the people OF the world will never believe and therefore can not be saved. Only those who are OF God hear what Christ says and believes in Him that God sent Him to save them.

18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. 21 But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God.”

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Scott Downey

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    John 3
    46 Which of you convicts Me of sin? And if I tell the truth, why do you not believe Me?
    47 He who is of God hears God’s words; therefore you do not hear, because you are not of God.”

To be of God means to have been given EARS to HEAR what the SPIRIT speaks to the Churches. It means to have been regenerated by the Holy Spirit, which grants and enables people to come to Christ in belief that what He says about Himself and God is the Truth.

John 6
    63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing (the unsaved unregenerate mind is not of the Spirit of God, it is tied to the flesh only). The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.
    64 But there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him.

65 And He said, “Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father.”

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Barry Johnson

Barry Johnson Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well that reasoning kinda falls apart when of course the Holy Spirit is reproving because of not Believing on him .To unbelievers. Who then have a choice to believe or not .

4. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    i notice your quoting before the Gospel has even happened lol .
    John 12 .32And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, WILL draw ALL MEN unto me.

5. Scott Downey

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well depends on who is the ALL there supposed to be. I read it as ALL men whom God will save in the gospel, will be drawn through Christ.
    To keep taking your POV, you have to keep ignoring all the other scriptures that say differently. I am not the one setting up a conflict with scriptures, you are.

That word Draw also means compel by force or drag and actually means a saving action due to Christ working in their life.
    So it entirely means those who are being saved, and nothing to do with the unsaved.

It is spoken of like that here
    John 6:44
    No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day.

so such who are DRAWN, are going to be SAVED, here Christ says God does that, but Christ says after He is resurrected, HE Christ will do what God had been doing.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    No that would be putting a private interpretation into the text . Jesus says he will DRAW ALL men after the cross. Calvinists have no idea what to do with this because they think John 6 ( before the cross bizarrely) is the Gospel?

7. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    It says who will be guided into all truth ?

8. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paradigm being the key point here .

9. Scott Downey

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    CLEARLY, the you here is not the unbelieving world. He is speaking to His disciples, aka, His people, they are the only ones who get guided into all truth.
    Because obviously the world does not receive the Holy Spirit because they can not know the truth.
    and v15, also shows that, because God will not give the inheritance to unbelievers of the world.

12 “I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13 However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. 14 He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you.

15 All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take of Mine and declare it to you.

ABOUT this Holy Spirit teaching ...
    2 Cor 2

12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.

13 These things we also speak, not in words which man’s wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
    14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned

• Like Like x 1
  10. Scott Downey

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    People seem to have reading comprehension problems due to their long ingrained bias... When the disciples did not understand, Jesus would ask of them, are you hardened?

Mark 6:52
    For they had not understood about the loaves, because their heart was hardened.

Mark 8:17
    But Jesus, being aware of it, said to them, “Why do you reason because you have no bread?
    Do you not yet perceive nor understand?
    Is your heart still hardened?

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Scott Downey

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    NKJV
    And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all peoples to Myself.”

Bible Gateway passage: John 12:32 - New King James Version

Not ALL men without distinction, simply from ALL the nations, he will draw men. which is exactly what we see happening. Men from all over the world are drawn, from every tribe kindred, nation , tongue are going to be saved.

Those drawn are those saved.

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. Scott Downey

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    G1670 - helkō - Strong's Greek Lexicon (KJV)

DRAW, means to drag a person forcibly and against his will (our drag, drag off)
    No one is willing to believe in Christ and be saved unless God makes them willing by changing their hearts forcibly, even against their will.

This idea fits in perfectly with where Jesus says this
    3 Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

G1492 - eidō - Strong's Greek Lexicon (KJV)

Which verse then reads this way,

3 Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot turn the eyes, the mind, the attention to anything regarding the kingdom of God.”

3 Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot pay attention, observe the kingdom of God.”

3 Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot perceive, notice, discern, discover the kingdom of God.”

3 Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot have regard for, cherish, pay attention to the kingdom of God.”

And all that shows the unregenerate will have no care for Christ and so then will not believe Christ is GOD.

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    its clearly talking about the diciples . It precisely says who he is talking to , why are you going beyond who Jesus is speaking to ? Notice in verse 1¶These things have I spoken unto you
    That ' you ' is not you .,

14. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    I still have many things to say to YOU but you cannot bear them now. 13 However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide YOU into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell YOU things to come. 14 He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to YOU .
    pop quiz . Who's the YOU ?

15. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    lol Of course the calvinists shell game. " All ? no silly , unless it fits our doctrine its not ' all without distinction " . " World? pah! we can change that to suit also . "

16. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    I noticed you picked that one translation over these .
    NASB
    “And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to Myself.”
    NLT
    And when I am lifted up from the earth, I will draw everyone to myself.”
    ASV
    And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto myself.
    DBY
    and I, if I be lifted up out of the earth, will draw all to me.
    HNV
    And I, if I am lifted up from the eretz, will draw all people to myself."
    RSV
    and I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to myself."
    YLT
    and I, if I may be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto myself.'
    WEB
    And I, if I shall be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to me.
    VUL
    et ego si exaltatus fuero a terra omnia traham ad me ipsum
    NIV
    And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.”
    ESV
    And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.”
    RVR60
    Y yo, si fuere levantado de la tierra, a todos atraeré a mí mismo.
    CSB
    “As for me, if I am lifted up from the earth I will draw all people to myself.”

NET
    And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself."
    TR
    κἀγὼ ἐὰν ὑψωθῶ ἐκ τῆς γῆς πάντας ἑλκύσω πρὸς ἐμαυτόν
    MGNT
    κἀγὼ ἐὰν ὑψωθῶ ἐκ τῆς γῆς πάντας ἑλκύσω πρὸς ἐμαυτόν
    BYZ
    κἀγὼ ἐὰν ὑψωθῶ ἐκ τῆς γῆς, πάντας ἑλκύσω πρὸς ἐμαυτόν.
    WH
    καγω εαν υψωθω εκ της γης παντας ελκυσω προς εμαυτον
    BBE
    And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will make all men come to me.

17. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why did John write what he included in his Gospel? (John 20:31)

18. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because it happened. We read what happened to them . All of the bible is for us not all the bible is to us .What some do when they read the bible is they read every verse as if its to them directly.

19. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats why everyone is commanded to repent . To change their mind which in turn means a change of heart . Rom 6.17 . Rom 10,9,10

20. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist

Because when we read the facts we have information to believe . Who Jesus is and what he did and what we need to trust and believe in what he did and who he is .