1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is God Punishing America....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Aug 26, 2012.

?
  1. Yes...

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. No...

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. It is possible, but we have not seen the real wrath of God yet...

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  4. No opinion....

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. This is a warning to the church to get back to basics!

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  6. America needs a revival of gigantic proportions!

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  7. Things must get worse before I agree that He is punishing America...

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  8. This nation is too far gone to avoid God's wrath...

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  9. We are not even close to His anger....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. See my opinion in the comment section!

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

God has always judged nations. America is just as qualified for judgment as any other nation.

Our concern should be is God going to punish the church.

2. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

What does that look like? Does it look like a husband punishing his bride?

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

It looks like this:

Revelation 2:5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Didn't peter warn about the Judgement of/from God starting in the church of God though?

5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If indeed America was at some point a Christian nation, then we weren't a very good one. So in that sense I guess nothing much has changed.

And really, does anyone think that forced school prayers and bible readings are the solution to "bring America back to God"?

We need revival, but then again, when didn't we need revival? We've always needed revival, what county doesn't?

6. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

NO!...........

We have been blessed by God but that is as far as it goes. The nation Israel was chosen by God as a vessel for bringing Jesus Christ into the world.

#26 OldRegular, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2012
  7. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

The law of reaping and sowing is for everyone.

America is not God's chosen nation, nor ever has been. Despite our problems of slavery, etc., America has sent out more missionaries than any nation during our existence, and being a dispy, I can not fail to talk about our treatment of Israel. We are also the most generous nation on earth, and Christians are a big part of our charitable giving. God doesn't love us any more than he does any nation, but I get my hackles up when I hear all the negativity concerning this great nation that God has allowed to prosper. Yes, I am from the south, and everyone says we are too patriotic. Maybe that is true, as me, my brothers, uncles, father, and grandfathers all served in the military, but it was our pleasure to serve.

Our founding documents are Christian in nature.

Also, when the Separatists came over here, they wrote this:

The Mayflower Compact
    In modern English: "In the name of God, Amen. We whose names are under-written, the loyal subjects of our dread sovereign Lord, King James, by the grace of God, of Great Britain, France, and Ireland King, Defender of the Faith, etc.

Having undertaken, for the glory of God, and advancement of the Christian faith, and honor of our King and Country, a voyage to plant the first colony in the northern parts of Virginia, do by these presents solemnly and mutually, in the presence of God, and one of another, covenant and combine our selves together into a civil body politic, for our better ordering and preservation and furtherance of the ends aforesaid; and by virtue hereof to enact, constitute, and frame such just and equal laws, ordinances, acts, constitutions and offices, from time to time, as shall be thought most meet and convenient for the general good of the Colony, unto which we promise all due submission and obedience. In witness whereof we have hereunder subscribed our names at Cape Cod, the eleventh of November [New Style, November 21], in the year of the reign of our sovereign lord, King James, of England, France, and Ireland, the eighteenth, and of Scotland the fifty-fourth. Anno Dom. 1620."

The Declaration of Independence (not the whole)

The Declaration of Independence: A Transcription

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IN CONGRESS, July 4, 1776.
    The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America,
    When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

And, of course, the Constitution is built upon laws and precepts from the bible. Don't tell me that this country hasn't been used to honor God and spread the gospel, though we have been by no means perfect.

#27 Bronconagurski, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2012
  8. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

"Don't tell me that this country hasn't been used to honor God and spread the gospel, though we have been by no means perfect."

We may be sending out missionaries, but they are from the churches, not the gov't. I don't think the fact that gov't sanctioned, legalized murder has been carried out since 1973 exactly honors God. That seems more than just an imperfection to me.

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God has been rewarding America for her works since the day she became a nation. Her righteousness exalts her, and He judges her sins.

10. Bronconagurski

So what are you doing about it? Does that mean we just throw in the towel and give up the principles of our founders and get ready for judgement? BTW, the government may have legalized abortion, but real people are getting them, sometimes with the blessings of Christian parents. There is enough blame to go around for all. But forget the blame game and try to change things, if you haven't already. Find an organization in your area that supports unwed mothers that want to keep their babies and help them. If you are doing things, then my apologies in advance.

And, btw, the churches are sanctioned by the Constitution of the United States of America, and are allowed to be tax free entities. So don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

11. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

Yes, I am doing things, but you don't need to apologize. I was responding to your comment specifically about the gov't, not real people, but I in turn apologize if i misunderstood your meaning, which is entirely possible. Also, the day may well be coming soon where churches do not enjoy the rights and "sanction" under the gov't that they do today. According to Scripture it will be our responsibility to carry on in spite of that, just as it is our responsibility to act now while we enjoy more liberty. IMO the gov't does not deserve any credit for our worship/actions as Christians.

12. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "sanctioned", it what way?

13. Bronconagurski

It is a right. I used the word sanction as that is the word the poster used that I was responding to.

14. C/O

C/O New Member

I believe that as we have turned our back on GOD as a nation HE turned HIS on us.

I also feel that we are in the beginning of the end. What a better way for the anti-christ to take power then to destroy the worlds economy. The love of money is the root of all evil..

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

He may be.

But it is not primarily because of homosexuality or abortion or any of our pet moral issues.

Read Malachi. God finally forsook the nation of Israel because the religion of Israel degraded to bringing God the scraps.

The sloppy worship services, the pitiful outreach efforts, the anemic preaching (more like kindergarten story time), the slouchy singing (so many silly honkey tonk type songs or 7-11 music sung without much practice and pitiful skill), the half-hearted giving, the entertainment driven services, the poorly educated preachers (the many who COULD do better), the redneck or rock concert atmosphere, the stuck in a rut ministries, the phariseeism or the man-centeredness, etc...

These things are what will bring about the destruction of our culture. The problem is not external- it's internal.

It's not with the world- it's with us.

The biggest problems we have are not in the White House- they are in the church house.

16. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Think what you are saying here is the Church has adopted and become part of the culture, NOT that it influenced culture and society as salt!

17. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

More than that.

Singing poorly because we haven't practiced hard.

Singing songs that are mind numbingly empty and man centered because we are not thoughtful about worship.

Preaching that has nothing to do with the text.

Preaching sky-scraper sermons: one story upon another.

Preaching sloppily because we have not studied enough.

Worship service elements slapped together filled with dead spots because people do not care about giving God the best; fumbling around for ushers, playing and rewinding tapes and playing again and stopping and rewinding because the sound man was not prepared and the singer had not worked with him beforehand, etc...

A rock concert or redneck atmosphere (I don't have a problem with either in the right context).

Uneducated preachers (when they COULD have been educated- I realize a few preachers cannot and are doing the best they can- but not many; most just don't care about being educated and most churches that hire them are stupid and lazy enough not to care themselves).

And the list goes on and on and on and on...

THIS slap in God's face is what is killing our society- not homosexuals and abortionists.