1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is God's Protection Automatic?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ROBERTGUWAPO, Oct 6, 2005.

1. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

Brethren, is God's protection of the believer automatic? I'm not talking about God's love for his children here, for that is a given. But what about protection from danger?

Does not Psalm 34 say that we are to cry first, then God hears and saves? But I'm not sure. But what about the prayerless Christian who doesn't pray for protection?

2. natters

natters New Member

Sometimes even Christians who pray all the time and pray for protection from danger are not delivered from it. So I guess the answer to your question is "no".

3. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

Robert,
    This verse is my verse , and is probably the reason I live today !

Psalms 34:6 Says; This poor man cried,and the LORD heard him,and saved him out of all his troubles.KJV

I think this verse speaks about a man that has done wrong or is doing wrong.

The LORD did save me out of all my troubles.

I lived a life that revolved around trouble and I did cry out to the LORD and he did save me out of ALL my trouble. AMEN AND AMEN!!!

Hopefully , You tell them, is what I say , so ? ;)

4. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

Samplewow,

Hey, I was the first with that verse. :D

5. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

I still claim it!! [​IMG]

BUT if you'd like I'll share!!

6. hopefullyhelping

hopefullyhelping New Member

I am with Sample on this I have known him for 11 or 12 years and I can honestly say that he had a wake up call from God and God did save him and pull him from his troubles and I thank God for taht everyday.

7. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

God knows us for all our eternity and loves us and cares for us based on what we will be with him a million years from now because He knows us that way.

8. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I think the key to this question is the fact that our view of "protection" and "danger" may not be "God's view."

9. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

This is what happened to the Apostles:

Matthew suffered martyrdom in Ethiopia, killed by a sword wound.

Mark died in Alexandria, Egypt, after being dragged by horses through the streets until he was dead.

Luke was hanged in Greece as a result of his tremendous preaching to the lost.

John faced martyrdom when he was boiled in a huge basin of boiling oil during a wave of persecution in Rome. However, he was miraculously delivered from death. John was then sentenced to the mines on the prison island of Patmos. He wrote his prophetic Book of Revelation on Patmos. The apostle John was later freed and returned to serve as Bishop of Edessa in modern Turkey. He died as an old man, the only apostle to die peacefully.

Peter was crucified upside down on an x-shaped cross, according to church tradition because he told his tormentors that he felt unworthy to die in the same way that Jesus Christ had died.

James the Just, the leader of the church in Jerusalem, was thrown over a hundred feet down from the southeast pinnacle of the Temple when he refused to deny his faith in Christ. When they discovered that he survived the fall, his enemies beat James to death with a fuller's club. This was the same pinnacle where Satan had taken Jesus during the Temptation.

James the Greater, a son of Zebedee, was a fisherman by trade when Jesus called him to a lifetime of ministry. As a strong leader of the church, James was ultimately beheaded at Jerusalem. The Roman officer who guarded James watched amazed as James defended his faith at his trial. Later, the officer walked beside James to the place of execution. Overcome by conviction, he declared his new faith to the judge and knelt beside James to accept beheading as a Christian.

Bartholomew, also know as Nathanael, was a missionary to Asia. He witnessed to our Lord in present day Turkey. Bartholomew was martyred for his preaching in Armenia when he was flayed to death by a whip.

Andrew was crucified on an x-shaped cross in Patras, Greece. After being whipped severely by seven soldiers they tied his body to the cross with cords to prolong his agony. His followers reported that, when he was led toward the cross, Andrew saluted it in these words: "I have long desired and expected this happy hour. The cross has been consecrated by the body of Christ hanging on it." He continued to preach to his tormentors for two days until he expired.

The apostle Thomas was stabbed with a spear in India during one of his missionary trips to establish the church in the subcontinent.

Jude, the brother of Jesus, was killed with arrows when he refused to deny his faith in Christ.

Matthias, the apostle chosen to replace the traitor Judas Iscariot, was stoned and then beheaded.

Barnabas, one of the group of seventy disciples, wrote the Epistle of Barnabas. He preached throughout Italy and Cyprus. Barnabas was stoned to death at Salonica.

The apostle Paul was tortured and then beheaded by the evil Emperor Nero at Rome in A.D. 67. Paul endured a lengthy imprisonment which allowed him to write his many epistles to the churches he had formed throughout the Roman Empire. These letters, which taught many of the foundational doctrines of Christianity, form a large portion of the New Testament.

10. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

It's always best to pray specifically about protection. I believe that "Ye have not because ye ask not" also applies to protection.

However in a broad sense God can have a plan for us that has Him protecting us to His end.

As they say, the safest place to be is in God's will.

Our pastor is an ex-missionary who still trains people to be missionaries for New Tribes. Their daughter is a missionary in the jungles of Brazile. When she wanted to become a missionary some people tried to talk her out of because they felt that it was too dangerous. But not her parents who knew that the safest place for a Christian to be is in His perfect will.

11. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Yes, but it is what HE considers righteous protection and not what we consider protection.

Heb 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
    Heb 13:6 So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.

12. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mom always told us that if we played in the middle of the street, God wouldn't protect us! [​IMG]

13. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

[​IMG] True. That reminds me of the poem:

Angels that guard you while you drive,
    Oft retire at 55.

14. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JackRUS has given the exact key: God will protect those who are in the center of His will. As a missionary for these 24 years, "I have never seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread." Granted, Japan is a quite safe country--most of the time. However, when my wife had to fly back to the States for surgery on a life-threating tumor, when the dollar was at an all-time low of 75 yen per dollar and we didn't know where the next meal would come from, when our son had pneumonia, when our son was bullied by the neighborhood kids for being a foreigner (and thus "different")--and many other times--God has always taken care of us.

Someone asked David Livingstone why he was going back to Africa, where he had been attacked by a lion, sufferred from malaria and other tropical diseases, and been threatened by violent enemies many times. His answer was, "I have the word of a Perfect Gentleman that He will never leave me nor forsake me!" [​IMG]