1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Graham an apostate?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Brother James, Jan 13, 2006.

1. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

What makes Jimmy Swaggart apostate? Not to derail the thread, just a concise answer. Thanks.

And Falwell, for that matter.

2. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Swaggart teaches false doctrine and gives all the indications of being a false teacher and hypocrite.

Falwell has been accused of compromise for joining the SBC and having Catholics on staff at Liberty U... not that I think these things in and of themselves qualify him.

3. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

Well, that was concise. [​IMG] Maybe a particular or two?

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I hope this isn't off topic.

This was ages ago and a lot of shenanigans and water have gone under Bro. Swaggart's bridge, but when I was an older teen, I listened to some of Jimmy Swaggart's teachings. He had several tape series of sermons. Two I remember were Daniel and Revelation. They were very good.

5. ituttut

ituttut New Member

I've never heard either of these gentlemen indicate they may not get into the kingdom or the Body of Christ. Christian faith, ituttut

6. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, that was concise. [​IMG] Maybe a particular or two? </font>[/QUOTE]Speaking in tongues, love of money, faith healing, secondary baptism of the Holy Spirit,... besides that and his very public acts of adultery, he's a great witness :rolleyes: .

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

8. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You might want to give that another shot.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Speaking in tongues, love of money, faith healing, secondary baptism of the Holy Spirit,... besides that and his very public acts of adultery, he's a great witness.

First, that is a sad qualification for the Rev. Mr Swaggart. Other than Hitler killing 6 million Jews, he was a great witness. Let's get real. I have read post after post jabbing at and dragging Billy Graham's name through the mud. My question to all of you who call Rev. Graham apostate is, "How many people has the Lord used you to lead others to the Gospel? How many opportunities have you turned down?

I will not even dignify the names of Swaggart and Bakker to explain the term. As for Falwell, you know, there is more to leaving the faith (ie apostate) than disagreeing with your theology. It could be where your heart is so are your actions. Mr Falwell seems more interested in selling his trinkets and shares in his university than he does spreading the Gospel. He seems more interested in changing government and politics than in having God change people's hearts. He wants to legislate salvation. Now, another thing that strikes me as very odd, is the love/hate relationship he has with Larry Flynt. A few years back, every time I flipped through the channels, there he and Larry were. It seemed for a while they were inseperable, on high quality shows like "Larry King Live."

I know we are all sinners and fall short, but dont even compare Billy Graham to those three clowns.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You really sounded no different than "those clowns" :rolleyes:

11. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Swaggart comment was facetious in case you didn't catch on.

Further, Do you know that Falwell and his ministries aren't evangelistic? Who said there is only one way to serve the Lord?

As far as Graham goes, every broadcast I have heard of his radio program it ends with an effort to sell something or an appeal for donations. Graham's personal compensation is over $400k per year from his organization. It pays many if not most of his expenses... not exactly a poor gospel preacher. His children have their hand in the till also.

As for politics, unrighteous politicians should see a preacher of the true gospel as a threat as should false teachers but over the years Graham has been embraced by everyone from the Soviet Premier (whose national ideology had the elimination of religion as an objective) to the Pope.

12. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, I am not a huge Falwell fan and am suspicious of his attraction to power.

Needless to say, I have never bought any of his "trinkettes".

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Heheh, my respect for you just went up 10%. BTW, I have no problem with "trinkets" so long as they're presented in the manner of being a "thank you" gift for a person's donation. I think that's reasonable, though I understand that not everyone will like that.

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

So I suppose it comes down to a matter of opinion as to whether Falwell's attraction to power or Billy Graham's interviews have caused more harm.

15. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I gave several reasons in the above posts if you read. You are basing your entire opinion of Billy Graham on an interview, that if I had to guess, you are basing your knowledge on this thread.

17. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heheh, my respect for you just went up 10%. BTW, I have no problem with "trinkets" so long as they're presented in the manner of being a "thank you" gift for a person's donation. I think that's reasonable, though I understand that not everyone will like that. </font>[/QUOTE]Thanks John. I usually agree with what Falwell says but politics is a pig sty... and Jerry seems to like playing in it.

As far as selling things, I think these men should provide for their families and wouldn't suggest they live as paupers.

OTOH, I am wary of men who line their pockets by turning the gospel into merchandise. That money should be used for the purpose that God and the supporters gave it... to further the gospel.

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

not to change the subject, and this shows how new I am, but how do you post quotes in your replies

19. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you will go back to my last post, you will see that I said "IF" Graham said...

I don't know whether he said it or not. I heard elsewhere that he said that hell was not a literal place... I don't know if he said that either. If he did then he is even more an apostate.

Things I know are that wicked politicians have received him without offense. He cooperates with groups and denominations that are not sound in their theology... and even basic sotierology. He teaches a decisional brand of salvation that seems to fill his meeting halls... but not the local churches he leaves behind.

Those are sufficient for me to not support him.

20. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hit the quote on button on someone's post.

You will see that it is preceeded by "quote" and "qb" in brackets and followed by the same with a "/" in front.

quote = the lines
    qb = quote bold
    i = italicize
    b = bold

Those are the only ones I know.