1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is it a sin to judge?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Salty, Jun 25, 2021.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not quite (per Scripture, anyway). Man should be governed by God. The problem is they are not.

Man rejected God in favor of a king (or a government). God sets up and tares down.

But Christ makes a contrast you are rejecting.

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm the one who first brought up the jury question, and now I have a jury summons for July 12 in a U.S. district court. I previously had a federal jury call that was changed twice to last February, then finally canceled. Is this just coincidental, or do they keep names from canceled litigation for future use?

Maybe answering that question would be judging.

3. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus teaches judging the works performed by others. When we judge people's motives, we reveal our own corrupt hearts assuming they do things for the same reasons we do.

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are we not as citizens of USA do jury duties and vote and even serve if drafted?

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Depends on one's convictions. Many do not vote, would be excused from a draft, and do not serve jury duty. Others do all of the above.

Scripture demands that we act in such a way befitting our status as citizens of another kingdom (as sojourner, or aliens, here).

Scripture does not demand we vote, serve on jury duty, or serve in the military.

Whether Scripture prohibits those things is an issue for the individual Christian.

We (Christians) call God our Father while acknowledging He is also a Judge who will impartiality judge our deeds - so there is a fear and care when considering these things.

Each of us will have to account for our choices. So, IMHO, each should make their own choices.

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Render unto the Lord what is due Him, and unto Caesar what is due him, as we are citizens of both lands!

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I live in the US and am a US citizen. The US does not require her citizens to vote and makes provisions for serving on jury duty and in the military for religious reasons.

I do not know about your nation, but as a US citizen I'll consider the situation when our laws change. There is no reason to wrestle with circumstances that do not exist.

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do tend to make it as if are either/or, but we are both!

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not making it either-or.

I am saying that Scripture demands we behave as citizens of God's kingdom but is silent (at best) about serving in the military, on a jury, and voting in secular political campaigns.

I will go one step more by stating it is a sin to say Christians have to vote, be on a jury, or serve in the military or be guilty of not rendering "to Caesar what is Caesar's".

When Christians exceed biblical warrant in making demands of or judgments against other believers because they do not hold their political ideologies those Christians are acting beneath their calling.

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just saying that we as american citizens are expected to do our civil duties!

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We disagree to an extent. I am Baptist, so I do not believe in holding others to secular political standards in opposition to their conscience (i.e., enticing others to sin).

Should every citizen serve at least 4 years in the military? I think that a good idea. But I do not impose that on others.

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that one should follow their conscience, but also that we do have duties as being americium citizens

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have a duty to obey the laws as long as they are not contrary to God's command.

Scripture does not demand we serve in the military, vote in secular elections, or serve on a jury.

The US Constitution also does not make those demands, as unqualified demands, on its citizens.

Why do you?

When it comes to following our conscience on these issues, not to do so is a disobedience to God.

If you believe it is wrong to serve in the military, but you concede because others believe it your civic duty, then you are obeying man rather than God.

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Voting, being in politics, serving on jury or in Military not required, but are not anti christian either!

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is my point. Each Christian decides if those things are contrary to their faith. The early Christians believed all three of those were sinful. So it would have been wrong of them to have assumed those roles.

Personally, I do not believe they are wrong except they damage our witness. This is for each to decide. I am a retired soldier. But I do not vote. Others may vote but refrain from military service.

16. James65

James65 New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being truly full of the Holy Spirit, yes judge!
    But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man
    I Corinthians 2:15
    Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an ocassion to fall in his brother’s way:
    Romans 15:13

So if some try to preach another gospel or pervert the true Gospel of Christ and His Grace, it is the Believer duty to not only judge it, but call it out and greatly condemn it. Galatians 1:6-9; II Timothy 2:17-18.

17. OneIsTheWord

OneIsTheWord Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    yes