1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is It a "Sin" to .....

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by wpe3bql, Jun 19, 2015.

1. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

.... tell "Racial Jokes" from either "the pulpit" or "in private, face-to-face" encounters?

EXAMPLE: A visiting speaker at a church tells a "joke" that has "racial undertones" which resulted in a "visiting lost family" being offended and, thereby, refusing to have "anything to do with said church."

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes.

3. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not only is it wrong, it's plain stupid.

4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any joke or story or anecdote that is at the expense of someone's ethnicity, gender, age, intellect, body type, social standing, or any other attribute - well, in my opinion it's very wrong.

When we tell and say these things at the expense of someone else, it is costing them something that they don't want to pay: personal reputation, dignity, human value, and more.

It may be funny to some, but to the person of whom it is being said and who is being laughed at - damage occurs.

It's not our place to cause that type of damage to their human worth and our own testimony.

5. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I sat and heard a pastor tell a joke about a "N - - - - -" woman. I was aghast. After church, I introduced myself as the like. He backed off and him-hawed around. He was later let go from the church from saying a male body part in church....Ugh. Gotta shake my head. There is no place for that.

6. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

Reminds me of the old story of a BC whose building was located in a certain part of town.

The congregation was 100% Caucasian.

Years passed and the demographics of area in which this BC building was located also drastically changed as well.

A visiting evangelist suggested that the BC's pastor & deacons join him in going on door-to-door visitation in the building's immediate neighborhood.

They refused to do so because apparently they didn't want the BC's "next door neighbors" occupying their pews and hear about the only way a person can be saved.

Sad, isn't it? :tear: