1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is it Christ-Like to Insult?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by John of Japan, Dec 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thisnumbersdisconnected

In the Complete Word Study of the New Testament edited by Spiros Zodhiates, Th.D, an eminent Greek scholar who founded and advanced AMG Ministries and edited the Key Word Study Bible, it is stated that the primary usage of sarkos is for the literal being Satan, but as John has stated, is also used in the description of an adversary. The primary usage, according to Zodhiates, is for Satan, and he makes note of the fact on page 1280 of his Complete work that Jesus applied this epithet to Peter to call attention to not only his unintentioned opposition to Christ's mission, but also to call attention to how his weakness was used by Satan himself to attempt to deflect the apostles' convictions about who Jesus is from leading them to the conclusion of what the eventual crucifixion accomplished.

So what Zodhiates says -- and just as a personal note, I greatly respect his opinion on the original Greek and own an NASB Key Word Study Bible -- is that Jesus didn't call Peter "Satan" but did call his statement, and for that moment his attitude, adversarial, and made the connection to what -- or rather, who -- inspired that statement in the first place.

#21 thisnumbersdisconnected, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2013
  2. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ouch and amen, JoJ. Thanks for such a well-worded, well-thought-out post. We ALL would do well to ponder this before debating here at BB, myself included.

It all boils down to using the holy word of God to justify our human, sinful behavior. It's wrong to use God's word to justify sin. Kind of like
    saying it's ok to abuse a child because the "Bible says so." God's word is more than a flippant excuse for us to trample others. We must study and apply it in the proper context.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Think the biblcal mandate is that while real Christians can get upset and have frand discussion among ourselves, never should get to where we are hurling snide remarks and harsh insults back and forth...

Can amd must call out bad theology and doctrines, and make sure they adhere tothe bible, but not in personal attacks on them, for aren't we admonish to bear each others burdens, to try to see the bethren restored in the end?

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Ok. Then I'm just for rebuking.

Are you not being a tender ninny?

Everybody thinks they do this.

That's all you can ever judge. And you judge a tree (motives) by the fruit it bears (the things it says and does and produces).

Motive is the VERY thing every detective, prosecutor, judge and jury is after.

You've read every post I've ever posted?

You've read every post I've ever posted?

You are being a tender ninny, aren't you?

Ok, then me too.

In this response box I can't see what this is referring to. I'll have to post this then look back.

I'm not talking about hating believers. But HATE is something that godly people have. Godly people hate evil.

Do you need verses on this?

The Old Testament is the Bible, too.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea I understand that but that is not why I asked the question. I am interested in adding the article when translating it into English and why that is done.

6. thisnumbersdisconnected

I think that answers your question, Rev. Jesus was referring to Peter's motivation, and likely addressing Satan, who was in their midst in influencing Peter's denial of Christ's mission.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I am saying is when I asked John about that I was not interested in the interpretation. I am just interested in the adding of the article which is apparently not there in the Greek manuscripts.

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I'll start at the end and work my way up.

I told you how I interpret it in a previous post.

So then as long as we say, "You are being moronIC and foolISH... we're covered, right."

And the men of the Bible, like Jesus, who did call people morons- they were all sinners, right?

Oh, that's right!! Jesus speaks as LORD whenever he says something you don't like and he speaks as a man you ought to emulate when he says what you already WANT to say! Got it!!

People do what they do because they are what they are.

A man acts foolish because he is a fool (at least in the area in which he is acting foolish).

What we want is not just for them to change what they DO- we want them to change what they ARE.

In order to do that, you have to call them what they are.

The glutton ought to be called a glutton.

The coward and the effeminate ought to be called a coward and an effeminate.

If a man is a fool then you must properly diagnose his condition. (The verse you keep abusing about this has to do with the HEART with which you say it.)

The Sodomite ought to be called what he is because you have to diagnose the problem (what one IS) before you can administer the cure.

The Bible is jam packed with men of God calling people what they are.

I don't think that is necessarily insulting. I can call it rebuke if it blows up your skirt. I never have called it insulting for that matter.

Yea, that whole, "without being harsh" thing is some pink effeminate world where liberals would outlaw being offensive, not the Biblical world where godly men mock the prophets of Baal, call trouble-makers in the church children of the devil, call self-righteous people (like many of the IFB folks many of us have come in contact with) whited sepulchers full of dead men's bones who make their converts two-fold more the children of hell than themselves, etc, etc, etc...

9. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, consider this in regard to the OP and the difference between a rebuke and an insult. Rebukes can be humble in the sense that we should rebuke while considering our own weakness and possibility of falling. However, insults presuppose the superiority of the one insulting. If I say to Joe Blow, “You’re a lily-livered coward,” I’m presupposing that I myself am not one, and thus am superior to Joe.

When Christ insulted the Pharisees in Matt. 23 (and He did), He was not only presupposing his superiority as the founder of their religion, He was their Lord. In the context, look at the end of ch. 22. Jesus had just made the point that He was David’s Lord, and thus theirs. So Christ could insult—attack the character of—the wayward Pharisees in ch. 23 because He was superior. For our part, though, we are not superior. We are all sinners saved by grace.

Insults are clearly condemned in Matt. 5:22, “whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.” On the other hand, we are told in Gal. 6:1, “Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.” Therefore to insult someone is pride, even arrogance, since it presupposes superiority in the insulter, but rebuke and restoration should be acts of humility.

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am part of no organization called "independent Baptists," and no one represents me in any such organization. There are 10,000 IFB churches, many many colleges, mission boards and other organizations. Are you seriously saying that I have a personal responsibility towards the 100s of organizations and 1000s of churches that call themselves IFB?

Sorry, there could not be two more different groups than these two. I see no parallels whatsoever.

I am a Baptist World Mission (BWM) missionary, and part of the Hokkaido Fundamental Pastors Fellowship (HFPF--We call it "huff-puff." :smilewinkgrin:) Neither of these, in the 51 years of BWM (C4K can verify) and the 14 (I think) year history of the HFPF, have any hint of scandal, abuse, lawsuits, etc.

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Greek has no indefinite article, and Greek and English use the definite article in different ways. One different usage is that in Greek the definite article is used before proper names, as in "the Jesus" or in this case, "The Satan/Adversary." We don't do that in English, as in "The John" (which unfortunately, would mean something entirely different than my name in the English language." :eek:)

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm glad you agree. Good thoughts here.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree completely, and have just been reading Spurgeon on that very thing: "I have known a person who has erred, hunted down like a wolf. He was wrong to some degree, but that wrong had been aggravated and dwelt upon till the man has been worried into defiance; the fault has been exaggerated into a double wrong by ferocious attacks upon it. The manhood of the man has taken sides with his error because he has been so severely handled" (Words of Counsel for Christian Workers, p. 143).

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then why do you insult people?
    This is an insult because it attacks my character. It is not a rebuke. So you do believe in insults.
    Absolutely not. You cannot judge motives unless you are told the motive by the person. Motives are within, they are hidden. Only God can know a person's motives, his heart-hidden reason for his actions. And we are not detectives, prosecutors, judge or jury. God is all of these.

And even in the case of a human trial, the motive must be proven, usually from the actual words or circumstances of the accused. Here we are on the anonymous Internet, and you in your anonymous glory are insulting me because you think you know my motive. :rolleyes:
    Another insult, aimed at my character.
    Well of course. But this is not something the thread is about.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK so what you are saying is in the Greek manuscripts there is no definite article "the" in front of "satan" therefore it should be adversary rather than a proper noun like Satan.

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope.

Give specifics. I don't recall any Biblical person calling someone a moron.
    Nope. In the context, which you have apparently not looked at yet, Jesus is asserting his Lordship at the end of the previous chapter.
    Now we've come to the crux of the matter. When you yourself call someone a fool, you are ergo saying that you yourself are not a fool, therefore you are superior to the fool. Is that not so?

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right, that's my view about the Peter passage.

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks!.........................

19. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

John, thank you for your words of wisdom in this thread. I think some people insult other people just to show they are superior in knowledge and therefore it gives them a right to do so. The most impressive attribute of any person is love and kindness toward other people. A lot of people want to be remembered by others as having knowledge but we should all strive to be remembered for our love toward the brethren and our patience toward sinners.

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen:applause:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.