1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it Ok if men stay home with children while women work

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TBLADY, Jun 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It was a far different society in that most were farmers and the women worked hard and so did the men. The wives helped their husbands on the farm. That is not just an 8 hour work day but a lifestyle. If you find a lazy farmer it will be noticeable.

Prov. 31 talks about the woman who buys a field and plants it. She rises while it is still night to provide for her family. She sells the things she makes. People who work hard have something to give to those in need. The problem occurs when people are selfish.

My grandmother died in 2004 at the age of 97 and when she married my grandfather she worked in a restaurant and he worked in the fields. They bought a farm by the money they saved. They worked the farm together. She drove tractors and trucks just like he did. She milked the cows just like he did. All of their kids worked on the farm too. When I was a kid all of us worked outside and inside. I learned how to cook and sew. When I got to college I knew how to make bread, cakes and pies, etc. I knew how to wash and iron my own clothes. In fact I was put in charge of the meal for a Christian group I was a part of. We were going to have a Valentrine's Day banquet and I sugegsted that the men cooked the meal for the ladies. Often I showed ladies how to make bread because they wanted to learn and nobody had showed them how. My sister knew how to drive the trucks and tractors. She also knew something about how to use wrenches. When she got married, her husband knew almost nothing about construction or manual labor. He will tell you it is because of her that he attempted new things. He was lifted up because she helped him along the way. A few years ago they built their own garage. When they got married he would have never attempted such a thing. When we were kids she worked with us milking the cows, driving the truck and tractors. She helped us build buildings on the farm. She shoveled the cow manure just like all of us. During the winter we worked inside more.

People need to quit discussing about whose jobs it is and just get to work and get the job done. The ant doesn't spend most of a day discussing how to store food. It just gets the job done.

A husband and wife should work as a team not apart from one another. What guy wants a wife who has no skills and does not know how to do anything? I have a very beautiful godly wife who has a lot of skills who takes care of our home and provides a great example of what hard work looks like. It is a delight when people see how we work together and the things I can tell others she has done. People come to our home and ask about the paintings on the wall. Often where she works she makes cookies and cakes etc. to brighten the lives of the people she works with. She reads and is intelligent. She graduated from college with honors. It is fantastic having a wife who I know is great. It is even greater when I have people tell me that. When I talk with business professionals and they tell me that I have a great wife it opens the door to a better relationship. Many times God has used her attitude for me to share Christ with them. When my daughter's and wife's birthday come along they want me to make the cake. My sister owns a cake business today a lot of because of what we were taught at home. Later she took classes on cake sculpturing and decorating. She has won many awards for her work. Her husband is a completely different man today than when they first got married. I am a very different person because of my wife's encouragement. It is great having a wife who thanks me for the things I do when something needs fixing because I have the skills and do not need to call someone to fix something.

I want to have a home so that we have something to share with others. I do not want to get by on the minimum but work and play hard. We have a lot of fun but we also work hard so that we have plenty and can give to others. Every Christmas we try to help a family in a tangible way rather than do much for ourselves. We have few needs. There have been times when I have taken my daughter with me to help others out. Sometimes people are surprised when they see her with me ready to work. She sees how to do ministry and my attitude toward it. In one year she will go to college. Underneath her choice of what to study is the thought that what she does she wants to be able to help people. She worked with me for four summers doing construction. It helped to shape her attitude in a positive way. At first she had a bad attitude and I told her that she was going and it was her choice to have a good or bad attitude but she was going. Eventually she started telling my wife about the things she did at work. She became encouraged at what she had accomplished. While she was at one job I did she got to meet the president of a very large TV production company. She got to be in a building that few will ever see. She got to see me at work and how I talked with people. She got to hear me share Christ while I worked with other people. On the way I would hsare things with her. I wouild ask her to pray for the people on the job.

Another time we worked together on a job that lasted quite awhile and she earned enough money to buy a $3400 piano. She buys her own books and reads all the time. She buys her own clothes and music. When we travel even just a few miles she is reading a book. Some of the books she has read are on apologetics.

Last winter our neighbors were gone and we knew when they would be returning so I suggested that we go and shovel their snow. So we did with a great attitude and no questions asked. One time we were gone and got home late and our driveway had ben shoveled. It is great when you have a daughter who gets good grades in school and has something to give so she can help others. It is great to have a wife who has tremendous amount of love and service to give. It is fantastic to see my wife bake things to give to others.

Working as a team is so much more fun and faster.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I taught high school and knew of a lot of tyrants in the homes. I would tend to think that parents as a whole are far worse than most child care workers.

How many parents are not making the news?

There are a lot of husbands who beat their wives that does not make the news.

3. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

It is obvious that you are not reading them because you keep falling prey to the same formal fallacies that I have tried to show you how to avoid using well known and respected logic and rhetoric textbooks. Pity that you admittedly do not wish to take the opportunity to advance you knowledge and understanding. Sorry I am verbose. I am just trying to write for clarity.

4. TBLADY

TBLADY New Member

Shaking babies and babies who die at the hands of care takers or parent will over trump any who beats his wife or girlfriend, since this happens more often...like daily.

I am shocked how many people on here do not KNOW what is happening in the world they live in.

I still haven't received any list on what good results from women working outside the home with small children and why they think God's word is irrelivent on this issue?

Seems like blasphemy to me to ignore or argue God's word when he said women should be keepers at home and men should provide.

All I see is justification for poor choices people make and people who do not trust God to meet their needs, instead they trust the all mighty dollar!

5. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Okay you made your point. You are right again. You are just too smart for any of us to even be able to answer your questions. If you'd like you can make one more final statement declaring yourself the "winner" and I can close the thread since all intelligent discussion has ended.

#105 Bible-boy, Jun 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2007
  6. TBLADY

TBLADY New Member

Hey BB when I see someone has made a point that makes sense and is biblically right on...I have the love and grace and humilty to say so...something I haven't seen you and your buddies do to me as of yet.

So basically what you and they are saying I have not said anything of importance...right?

I'm not the one following you around attacking your post, I'm just defending mine.

People see what is going on, it is so obvious *Eyes Roll*

7. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Okay you win. Shall I close the thread for you since all intelligent discussion has ended?

8. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I certainly agree with that! :applause: :thumbs:

9. TBLADY

TBLADY New Member

No don't close it. I still am waiting for that all important list of the benifits to working mothers and their families. And why God's word is wrong! I am sure those who put down everything I say, must have answers to these questions to back up their stance.

10. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Since no one with whom you originally debated over the male ability (or inability) to show compassion holds the radical extreme positions regarding women vs. men working you are erroneously attributing to them, no one is going to attempt the refute the Scriptures you provided in support of biblical gender roles. Remember, you admittedly started this thread as a direct result of the debate over the male compassion issue in another thread. The fact that God gave us specific gender roles in the Bible does not support your assertion that men are somehow less able to express true biblical compassion than women. This is not a “victory” for you. It simply means that you mischaracterized the positions of those that opposed you in the other thread.

Therefore, since no one here is going to attempt to reject the Scriptures that support biblical gender roles there is no further need to keep the thread open. Correct?

#110 Bible-boy, Jun 6, 2007
  11. TBLADY

TBLADY New Member

You are the only one seeing this as a win - win debate.

You and DHK took a small part of what I said out of context of something that was of a bigger picture and distorted it. Nothing more or less. You strayed from the original post. Everyone I know including my husband and studies done on TV documentations and the net ALL say I am right. You want to focus on EXCEPTIONS where most people with common sense, know that I said the majority...not ALL but most...and they side with me.

Like I challenged before, since you want to so inadiquately challenge me...I asked for one of you to do a POLL on here and see what most think. Of course you would just pm all you can to get them to side with you, as I am sure has been done so far.

#111 TBLADY, Jun 6, 2007
  12. TBLADY

TBLADY New Member

Hey BB when I see someone has made a point that makes sense and is biblically right on...I have the love and grace and humilty to say so...something I haven't seen you and your buddies do to me as of yet.

So basically what you and they are saying I have not said anything of importance...right?

I'm not the one following you around attacking your post, I'm just defending mine.

People see what is going on, it is so obvious *Eyes Roll*

Here follow me around and find something else to pick apart that i say...these two are getting old already.

13. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

I assume that since in your own words this thread is "getting old already" that you are satisfied that you've made your point and no one has been able to discuss the issues sufficiently to your liking. Therefore, all intelligent discussing has ended. The thread will now be closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.