1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured is it OK to have Jesus shown on TV or Movies?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Yeshua1, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was a one off, as His normal form is Spirit!

2. Noah Hirsch

Noah Hirsch Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If we have reverence towards Jesus and religious affection certainly it will be unavoidable that some of that affection should terminate on the picture he use as a representation. This is idolatry,

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    not all movies or tv shows on Jesus would cause one to do that though!

4. Noah Hirsch

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No, it is still idolatry and an act of piety to use a picture as an image of Jesus even if we do not think that the image is accurate. Even some pagans recognized that the images they made to represent their gods were not accurate. The Commandment is simply to make no carved image or likeness of Yahweh at all, (Deuteronomy 4:15-18) so that it is unlawful in itself to make any image of either the Father, Son, or Holy Spirit. Trying to depict our God is how we corrupt ourselves, the making of such images is itself corrupting ourselves. (Deuteronomy 4:16)

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that it was against making image of the unseen God, but in Jesus we now see God in a physical form!

6. Noah Hirsch

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We do not know what Jesus looks like. The reason Moses gave for not making any image of God is not they did not see God. We have never seen either the Father, the Son, or the Holy Spirit. Jesus is Yahweh incarnate. To try to depict Him in visual form is to try to make an image of Him who is true God, and is therefore idolatry.

7. Wesley Briggman

Wesley Briggman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeshua1, your response seems to indicate that you agree with Noah that it could be idolatry, but not always. What conclusion would those who are aware of the fact that you watched the movie/tv program come to? Were you indulging in idolatry or not? Who knows?

1Th 5:22 KJV - Abstain from all appearance of evil.

I prefer to practice the advise in the passage quoted. I do not what to put myself in a position where I have to explain my actions to my fellow believers. (Hope this makes sense. :Geek)

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would tend to see this as being based upon conviction and preference, for if you sense that it would be sin to watch Jesus on a movie show, to you would be a sin!

9. Benyamin

Benyamin New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Deut 4:15-18 was quoted in a comment as commanding against depicting YHWH.
    But the passage speaks against making a graven image of any likeness. Whether it be man, woman, or beast. It doesn't say, "Thou shalt not make a graven image of the LORD thy God".

10. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I still like the Jesus Film and I gave 3 copies of it for Christmas gifts and I am using the cell phone app which has the film broken down in 61 parts to send a clip regularly to another friend. I think that they are headquartered in Orlando now. I have given away several copies over the years and have watched it many times myself. I always liked Bill Bright and his wife and I am grateful to the Hunts for donating the money to make the film.

• Like Like x 1
  11. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have evidence that those actors were NOT part of the Body of Christ?
    Christ has been (and is) in most of the world spreading His message by all possible means ... including Radio, TV, Movies and the Internet ... but mostly via His Body. :)

[How is that for 'literal'?] ;)

12. Noah Hirsch

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    But it is not really watching Jesus on TV by watching a man who is not Jesus play Jesus as an actor. It is to count him a representation of Christ who is not Christ Himself. No one can prove that such idolatry is not even more hated by God than homosexuality. Both practices are abominations to Him.

13. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why should God object to passion plays?

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    or to films such as the Jesus one used by Campus Crusade worldwide for outreach?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Noah Hirsch

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Is it saving faith that people are drawn to by the films or carnal faith? No one needs to be regenerated by the Holy Spirit and effectually drawn by the Father in order to love an image meant to depict the Savior. It is loving Christ and coming to Him by faith that is impossible apart from the regenerating work of the Spirit of God.

16. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A passion play acts out Scripture for those who cannot read and write so that they may have insight to what Scripture teaches. I think that such passion plays are ancient. You may have a good point that they attract people for carnal reasons. Church music may be in the same category, although music was used in the Old Testament.

17. Noah Hirsch

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I would argue in reference to those who cannot read that they can still listen to the Word read. I am not against music. I am against attempting to depict any of the three persons of the Trinity. I would say what such images teach people are lies as they represent either the Father, Son, or Holy Spirit other than the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit is. “So belief cometh of hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.” (Romans 10:17 ASV)

18. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you have an illiterate person in Indianapolis who has no idea about everyday life in Israel 2000 years ago....why can't you show them the Jesus film where the dialogue is all from the book of Luke and the filming was done in Israel?

19. Noah Hirsch

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Because I would be leading them to idolatry. I would be presenting an idol before them. The golden calf was meant as a representation of Yahweh the true God who brought Israel out of the land of Egypt, (Exodus 32:4-5) yet it was still condemned by God as idolatry. (Exodus 32:7-10) If I were to give them a film in which an actor plays the Savior I would be guilty of idolatry too as Aaron was in consenting to impious desires of the people.

20. Rippon2

Rippon2 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one has ever watched Jesus in a movie.

• Like Like x 1