1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it ok?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thinkingstuff, Feb 11, 2010.

1. billwald

billwald New Member

>And though Paul had a rich heritage as a Jew, he counted all the things that were his advantages in Judaism a "loss," and said that if he reestablished these things (even though these things prefigured Christ), then he made himself a transgressor.

BUT Catholics are Christians, not Jews, so this does not apply.

>One thing I found was that the Orthodox monks were very educated.

In the US! A person I know who has a PhD from Yale went to Mt Athos and talked to the monks there. He most could not read their Bibles.

In the same way, Catholic religious practice is MUCH different in Mexico and Italy than it is in the US. Much more superstition. Sort of like the differences in protestant denominations.

2. CarpentersApprentice

And that is a fair question. They shall have much to answer for on Judgement Day.

As I read your post I though of a twist on the old line about our lives being the only Bible some people will ever read: "Their lives are all that some will ever know about the Catholic faith."

Sad, very sad.

CA

3. bound

bound New Member

Hi There Billwald,

I think one of the things that Orthodox and Catholics do is replace a Biblical Holiness with a Holiness of Doctrines... not unlike the Pharisees did with Ritual Cleanliness.

I think that is something to seriously consider as a real distraction from seeking Righteousness in the Spirit.

#23 bound, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2010
  4. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

Where do you get the idea that we place doctrines over the Bible?

5. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

Biwald:

>"One thing I found was that the Orthodox monks were very educated"

You aren't just whistlin' Dixie. I was blown away at the comparison of our junior high school (tour) when up against the same aged Orthodox children. Theologically they were light year ahead. Never mind the English, math, science, etc.

6. bound

bound New Member

First, know that half of my family are Roman Catholic and I grew up in a Roman Catholic home. My Grandfather was Catholic and my Mother (God Rest her soul was a lapsed Catholic) so please don't presume I speak from simple Apologetics or Polemics.

When Orthodox and Catholics judge other Christians, it is on the basis of their own supposed 'doctrines' and not by the 'Fruits of the Holy Spirit' from which we know whom are His.

Far too many Orthodox and Catholics involve themselves in a dogmatic inquiry to determine if one is 'truly' Christian when we know it is 'by their Fruit that you will know they are Mine' Our Lord and Saviour says.

But for Orthodox and Catholics, they use another measure, not the Fruits but man-made praxis to judge one's Faithfulness to the Ways of Christ.

This is not unlike what the Pharisees did in Our Lord's time with the False righteousness of the Pharisaic Precepts of Cleaniness. You judge others by outwork works and because you load-down your days with Fasting and Long-Prayers, as the Pharisees did, you pridefully make of show of your works...

Now, don't take this the wrong way, works in and of themselves are not a bad thing but God judges 'hearts' and works done out of pride are of little value. Doing outward works don't determine our salvation or our 'orthodoxy'. Contrite Hearts seeking God's Face will stand before Him with honor. It will not matter what creeds have be spoken or prayers said 1000 times... but what has been done through Faith.

I believe St. Francis de Sales spoke this in his work Introduction to True Devotion.

#26 bound, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2010
  7. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

hmmmm...this is the first i've heard of any of this "judging" other Christians...the first thing i was taught in Orthodox Catechesis class was that we (Orthodox) do not have God in our pocket and that its not our place to judge any regarding their salvation...the reason is b/c many converts from Protestantism found the Orthodox Church after searching for the NT Church...

my thought is that you're being misleading in your assessment...remember it is ONLY your opinion and assessment...you may have been raised a Catholic, but that hardly makes you authoritative on the subject...just because you experienced it, doesn't make it true of ALL Catholic or Orthodox Churches...

granted some "individuals", be it Catholic or Orthodox may take this approach, but the same can be said of many Protestants too, as i've experienced such as a fundamental baptist and continue to experience from friends and relatives who do not agree with my decision to convert to the Orthodox Church.

In XC
    -

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Noel Piper, wife of Baptist pastor John Piper, shares the elaborate candle-based Lenten ritual that has been a blessing to their family.

9. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

Gee whiz, they sound like the Baptist family we have living next door. Why the lack of morals. Sunday they are 'fine Baptist' and then Sunday afternoon we have to close all the windows to keep from hearing all the 'f' bombs flying.

There are many Catholic Christians that do live according to Christ example. It is not fair to say one church represents the regenerate and another does not.

10. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

11. bound

bound New Member

The problem 'some' have seeking the Kingdom of God is that they are looking 'out there' when it is 'in here'... within our very hearts.

As long as someone is looking 'out there' for something... anyone can sell them on something new to dazzle their senses but God is a 'still small voice'... not found in 'Priestcraft' but in the power of one's faith.