1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Mark 16:17-20 for today?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by luke1616, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Tom, that sound a lot like the old Windy Bagwell song. That is great!!!

Take a look, http://www.tangle.com/view_video?viewkey=cf123adc0606eb33f975

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dittoes. :)

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

The purpose of signs is to prove that the one doing the sign speaks for God. God ratifies and endorses the words of the speaker by enabling him to perform miracles.

We have the Bible now. The Apostles are in heaven.

God is not giving any more divine revelation. No one is speaking for God anything that is not recorded in the Word of God. So signs have ceased because we HAVE the Word of God.

That signs were to confirm the Word of God and the one who declared it is clear. Nicodemus came to Jesus by night saying, "We know that thou art a teacher come from God..." WHY? "... for no man doest the works that you do unless he is sent form God."

Again Jesus told the Pharisees, "If you don't believe my words, believe me for the WORKS sake."

And Hebrews 2 is VERY clear:

"2For if the word spoken by angels was stedfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompence of reward;

3How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;

4God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will?"

Unless you are speaking for God some NEW revelation- you are probably NOT performing REAL miracles.

4. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

Sure I am, but unless you see them for yourself, you won't believe.

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Act 8:9-10

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Is this New Revelation as authoritative as the Word of God?

Before you answer be mindful that new revelation is one of the predominant characteristics of cults.

Making a man's leg grow three inches happens in a chiropractor's office every day.

Tell me you've got something more than that.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the sovereignty of the Spirit these things are always possible.

9. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I would think these verses applied to the Apostles, and was confined to there time, however, I really don't know.

Now if God told me to handle a poisonous snake today, I would obey, right after I shot it dead!

10. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

A chiropractor is limited, God is not. It is God's will to heal, the devil came to kill steal and destroy. There are only two masters. If a man heals someone supernaturally in the name of Jesus, RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU, and you think it's the devil, that is your option.

11. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Acts 8:10 The people called sorcery the great power of God....

12. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

In the end days they will call good evil, and evil good. Most who have never seen a miracle doubt that they even exist, so when Jesus shows up and does one, they are suspicious or even jealous as the Pharasees were, and are.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes but would you take that motorcycle ride you just posted?:thumbs:

14. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The bible is clear that false prophets and false Christs will be able to do great signs and wonders.

Matthew 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

Mark 13:22 For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect.

John 4:48 Then said Jesus unto him, Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe.

2 Thessalonians 2:9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,

What is the purpose of signs and wonders?

Mark 16:20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

To confirm the inscripturation of the word of God. As the canon is closed, and a great curse is pronounced on those who try to add to the canon (Rev. 22:18) it is obvious that the purpose of signs and wonders has ceased and they are no longer Christian, but are the work of the devil to prepare the gullible for the coming of the Anti-Christ.

Only the wicked require a sign.

Matthew 16:4 A wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given unto it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas. And he left them, and departed.

15. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mark 16 should end at verse 8 as that is all we can be sure is authentic to the original.

16. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I would rather kiss the snake before shooting it. :laugh:

17. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The overwhelming majority of the manuscript evidence indicates otherwise. :)

It is better to understand what God's word is saying than to just reject it out of hand. :)

18. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Mat 4:7 Jesus said to him, "Again it is written, 'You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.'"

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is not always God's will to heal. If that were the case then Heb. 9:27 would be a lie.

20. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Remember that those scriptures also speak of those people performing false miracles. It just depends on the "miracle." If it is the old "Make the leg grow" several inches trick (which is a old, and easily duplicatable magic trick), then yes, I would not believe. If I saw a guy buried in the ground in the coffin, that had been dead for three days (like Lazarus), then I would believe.

As much as our Charismaniac brothers would have us believe otherwise, we are COMMANDED to be DISCERNING. We are NOT supposed to believe everything we see. We are warned that the Devil masquerades as an angel of light.

And NO, we are not promised healing in this life. Nor is healing the ends. It is the means. Jesus told us why He healed...

Mat 9:6 But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins"--he then said to the paralytic--"Rise, pick up your bed and go home."

Other times, such as Paul's eyes, and Timothy's stomach, God chose not to heal.

So here it is: if someone healed someone, and then stood up and preached the REAL Gospel (salvation from sin, death to self, repentance unto life, etc), I would say "Hallelujah! Great."

If they "healed" someone, and then made an appeal for money, or somekind of promise of material "blessing" that goes AGAINST scripture (because it does. Scripture promises a Christian will be poor, hated, beaten, and afflicted, and have "trouble in this life"), then I would stand up and call him down for the fake heretic that he is.